• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Hate compliments?

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Recently I've been quite bothered by the volume of compliments I've received in regard to my looks (IRL). I usually keep to myself, taking online classes, going to places by myself, but now that I've begun working, I'm around people 1/3 of my life. When you receive so many compliments from people that think they're being nice (take people I work with for example), it sort of makes me feel invisible. Cry me a river, right, but it's sort of like prplchknz's thread about celebrity -- people are praising you for something you aren't even responsible for, something that isn't a representation of the youest you, and it gets very suffocating, because they associate something as simple as an impression with qualities and traits that do not belong to you. Even if they are "good" qualities, it's a little offensive, because you're seeing some idealised version of me, not me.

/endrant. offtowork.

And how do you respond to such compliments?
(great to see this fairly old thread revived, weird to see posts from people long gone...)

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
It's not an NF thing.
I hate compliments.

They're stupid.
In the first place, a compliment only comes from people who don't really understand what they're seeing.
I know that because if they did, they wouldn't be that impressed.
So their assessment of my worth is actually possibly, and probably faulty.

In the second place, who the fuck are they to impose such judgement as to deem me good?
I don't recall appealing to them to tell me my worth.
If I am/something I did is good, trust me; I'll know before you do.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Nocapszy you're so stunningly intelligent. You even have the foresight to know how others will judge you. Pure brilliance!!

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
It's not an NF thing.
I hate compliments.

They're stupid.
In the first place, a compliment only comes from people who don't really understand what they're seeing.

In the second place, who the fuck are they to impose such judgement as to deem me good?

Would you see feedback in general as something worthless then?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's not an NF thing.
I hate compliments.

They're stupid.

That's such a pompous ass response.

I find myself agreeing wholeheartedly.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Nocapszy you're so stunningly intelligent. You even have the foresight to know how others will judge you. Pure brilliance!!
Can you do me a favor?
Go fall in a well.

Would you see feedback in general as something worthless then?
Well pretty much...
Except by like an expert in a field, yeah.

That's such a pompous ass response.

I find myself agreeing wholeheartedly.
I don't care.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, I'm fine with compliments. Out of all the things to hate out there, how can someone really have a bone to pick with compliments?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I'm fine with compliments. Out of all the things to hate out there, how can someone really have a bone to pick with compliments?

You need to brush up on your self-hate. Nocaps is giving lessons . . .

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
people are praising you for something you aren't even responsible for
Indeed?
Am I to understand that you make absolutely no attempt to enhance your appearance; not in the way of make-up, clothes etc?

Perhaps we ought only to compliment those who've undergone plastic surgery -- the ones who worked their asses off (or rather those who didn't...) to make enough money so they could afford it.

something that isn't a representation of the youest you
Seems to me that the youest you is the you that you can't change. The natural you.
Well except by surgery...
I covered that already.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I usually assume (maybe stupidly?) that people mean well and I usually blush. :blush:

tenINsFJ

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
I don't hate them unless they are meant to hurt me. They do make me uncomfortable sometimes because I don't always know how to respond to them.

You said it perfectly, Cafe.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hate? No.

But like a moth to a flame...

lane777

nevermore
I appreciate compliments, especially since I'm so curious as to how others perceive me. (Negative comments are welcome as well, so they can sketch out an accurate portrayal.)

Nat

MBTI Type
INFJ
I love sincere compliments, but I tend to shrug it off so I doubt people know how much it means to hear it.

LindseyLadybug

MBTI Type
INFJ
I love sincere compliments too! If it's someone who knows me intimately, it means a lot because they know all my flaws. I prefer compliments on my character rather than my looks or something superficial. It is awkward to have someone compliment me if I'm not expecting it. I'll usually be like, "Really? Aw, thank you! That makes me feel good." (and then hug them if I'm comfortable with them). I prefer compliments in letters. If I receive a letter that is sincere and from the heart, I melt. It probably has something to do with my type being better communicating through writing. Plus, I can have something tangible to remind me that that person loves me. I can keep the letter and "experience" it over and over. I don't know if that makes sense or not.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Real, unsolicited compliments from those who give them sparingly can be meaningful. My actions are not done with recognition as an aim so unless it is legit I prolly don’t want to hear it.

am_i_evil666

I love compliments. Of course, sincere compliments. They make me feel good, especially when I somedays think that my work is not very good or that I don't look to good that day (when I'm tired or stressed). So, if someone gives me a compliment on such a day, it makes me feel much better. And it's really sweet if it's sincere.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I appreciate compliments, especially since I'm so curious as to how others perceive me. (Negative comments are welcome as well, so they can sketch out an accurate portrayal.)

Yeh same. I'm a sucker for feedback; good or bad.

Complements are great when they are honest and sincere. When they are said to be nice they are also okay, because the intention counts. When they are said to take advantage of me, how I take them depends on whether I am attracted to you ;).

Isn't a compliment always a positive?