User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I generally let spiders go on about their business or I'll take them outside when I'm feeling industrious. I always swat mosquitoes. I only kill ants when they're completely mobbing my residence. The only buggy thing that makes me feel bad is when I step on a snail. If I lived in recluse territory, I'd probably just kill spiders indiscriminately.
    The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men
    Gang aft agley
    -Robert Burns

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Yah, i dosn't kill them less i has too.
    I would rather rescue a drowning insect than leave it to die, even if i found it icky.
    If there were a dangerous and uncompromising insect that i could not rid of any other way then i may have to kill it, but even that would be begrudgingly.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I've killed so many spiders here in my new place. They are big and disgusting and scary, and I just kill them so I don't have to think about them.

MBTI
    IsFJ

When I see a small spider, or ant, or whatever, crawling in my room, I avoid touching it and try to shoo it out through my window, usually using a small piece of paper.

If I ever saw one of them brown recluses, though, I'd douse it in gasoline and light it on fire. :panic:
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by tkae. View Post
    Does anyone else have these problems?
    i don't. I'd just kill it with a shoe and be done with it.

It's a pragmatic issue. it can go kill bugs outside if it wants. And my house is a sealed environment, it's not like I need a big fat brown spider lurking in the side of my tub where i stand naked daily in order to control a 'bug problem.' I also don't screw with recluses; I don't need flesh necrosis to prove to me that recluses and I shouldn't hang out together.

nothing personal, but spiders creep me out. Besides, I saw them in Harry Potter, and they weren't very sociable.

Also, more seriously, I have a lot of things to think about in life; wasting brain power trying to decide whether to kill a spider in my bathtub seems to be a remarkable waste of my energy.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I remember getting a flask of perfume from someone I do not remember when I was... young. To my astonishment and delight, if applied to small insects such as ants and spiders, it was able to kill. So I used it up in the garden.

Today I only kill things that are in my way.

figsfiggyfigs

Yes, but mostly because I fear I will miss, thus inadvertently challenging it to a duel, and now become the object of the hunt.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    Yes, but mostly because I fear I will miss, thus inadvertently challenging it to a duel, and now become the object of the hunt.
    Oh god, I feel that way too. Sometimes it takes so long for me to prepare to kill it that it just leaves.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    Oh god, I feel that way too. Sometimes it takes so long for me to prepare to kill it that it just leaves.
    Oh yes. There are so many variables to consider before attempting to murder the insect in question. The angle of the strike, the amount of pressure applied, the speed in which you strike, the lighting, position of the insect, where it will fall, carrying utensils for the deceased, checking if it has family members that will avenge it's death.

This gets worse when it is a jumping spider.

I don't kill bugs or spiders. I find that if I either ignore it or relocate it using a kleenex or piece of paper, it won't bother me anymore. I won't even see it again. So if not killing them gives the same result as killing them, then why bother killing them at all? Aside from that, I don't see any moral justification in killing insects just because "they're ugly" or "we don't like them". If I were going to kill a bug, I'd need a much better reason than that. Now, a brown recluse spider would be one of those special exceptions...