User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    free

Default NP issue with routine and boredom

I noticed that I have a knack of starting new things with absolute enthusiasm and then getting bored/stressed lacking motivation to actually carry on the idea to reality. I have always blamed my failure of quitting out projects to lack of dedication/diligence in general. Maybe it's best if I go at multiple projects but do different ones in a single day setting at different times/orders and then review my progress on weekly basis? I'm kinda worried I can't even stay committed to the idea itself and just go back to procrastinating.

How do you guys motivate yourselves?

I never really had this problem, and I'm INFP. I mean, every once in a while I'll scrap a project if I feel I have a decent reason to, but I'm pretty good at bringing creative projects to fruition. That's not to say it's always easy, but I always remind myself about how great I'll feel when the end product is done. It's also gotten easier as I've gotten older, being less prone to perfectionism and whatnot.

I have an ENFP friend who has this problem in spades though. Great idea guy, TERRIBLE follow-through. Most of my other creative NFP friends are somewhere in between myself and my friend when it comes to follow-through.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm interested in the results of this thread...

MBTI
    yupp

I don't know I'm not even motivated to get excited about things, but if anyone has suggestions i'd love to hear them.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Yeah this happens to me. I can get productive when I arrange my projects so that I only have one within a 'domain' of excitement. If I'm in a electronic hobbiest mode I work on my high security crunk candy jar, if I'm in an art mode I work my drawing, if I'm in a music mode I work on my flute playing. The theory is I'll just cycle around the same stuff and it'll be near the equivalent of focusing on one thing for a long time.

NPcomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Yeah this happens to me. I can get productive when I arrange my projects so that I only have one within a 'domain' of excitement. If I'm in a electronic hobbiest mode I work on my high security crunk candy jar, if I'm in an art mode I work my drawing, if I'm in a music mode I work on my flute playing. The theory is I'll just cycle around the same stuff and it'll be near the equivalent of focusing on one thing for a long time.
    I use a somewhat similar strategy. This way, even if I want to procrastinate, I'll be procrastinating while still doing something productive. It hasn't failed yet.

It might also be a good idea to look at why you find them boring. I usually find projects boring when they get stagnant or when others try to control their execution excessively. So brainstorming and bringing some pizzazz back into it could potentially be beneficial.

Good luck!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I'm very goal motivated, so if there's a goal I can do pretty much of anything even how boring it is. But without a goal boring routines kill me mentally. So, I (try to) avoid all routines that don't involve somekind of goal.

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

If I'm doing something for someone else, that nearly always gives me the motivation to follow through on it, but when I'm just doing something for myself, then I only continue as long as it remains interesting to me. If I can envision the final result and its something I really want, that can also motivate me to continue once I reach the boring parts of implimentation.
    (keys2cognition) Fi (47.6), Ne (36.8), Fe (36.8), Si (31.6), Ti (29.7), Ni (27.4), Te (17.2) Se (12.5) - subject to change - last updated 11JAN2012
    * Making consicious effort to improve my Fe...
    My Johari window
    My Nohari window

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

You N(F)Ps are not alone. SPs are prone to leaving projects behind as well.
    Thinkist: not optimist nor pessimist. I am primarily competent in the enneagram.
    SX 9w1, SP 5w6, SP 3w4 | Split with the first two
    Ti-Se-Si-Ni-Te-Fi-Ne-Fe. I'm always questioning this, particularly the Si.
    Big 5/Global5/SLOAN: RCUEX

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I pretty much just don't do what I lost interest for. Good plan eh?