• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] In general how good are INFPs at running a business?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
because i'm thinking of starting one. starting at small though and just having friends as clients to test the waters. I plan on cooking meals for people than charging a fee.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
it's a simple question, and no one can answer? well screw you guys

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I had a little "business" which sold around $400 in art but bought around $3000 in art supplies. I would not call that a success, but maybe you are a better cook than I am an artist.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It depends on how good you are with money too...

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
because i'm thinking of starting one. starting at small though and just having friends as clients to test the waters. I plan on cooking meals for people than charging a fee.

I have run several businesses over the years - a couple successful and a couple unsuccessful.

What do you want to know specifically? What the challenge areas might be?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
my challenge areas are going to be keeping up with the books, having the guts to approach people, and i'm sure there's more

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
if you're selling anything at all to do with food, there are a ton of legal restrictions - basically you have to be a tiny restaurant in terms of your kitchen and health standards, etc. That only matters if you get caught, of course, but in general selling anything food-related is a nightmare. FYI.

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have personal experience, so I can't say. I've tried a couple times to 'do my own thing', only to be plucked up by an employer. I think I make a great employee. :)

I imagine being 'The Boss' can be a lonely thing. If you're working directly with clients one-on-one, I can see an INFP doing fine. Just make sure all the terms are clear and simple between both parties up front. It's easier that way, if there is a mishap or misunderstanding later on.

Good luck!!

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do okay with behind the scenes stuff (yes, even in managing money). I am not good at sales or client relationships, which means bringing in the clients/projects is where I fail. I once worked with someone else in a magazine/design business who was supposed to handle the sales & client stuff, but they were not trustworthy in the end. That's obviously a HUGE part of the business too. You have to schmooze & go after people, and if you have someone else do it (or some other aspect), then you have to trust them.

You also have to be able to put time/energy/money into it for awhile without making any profit, or very little. If you don't have much money to start with, then that can be a big hurdle. That's always been my other problem; ideas without financial means to get them off the ground. I think these are common problems people face regardless of type though.

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
I think in a partnership I'd be great. Doing freelance work I really have to motivate myself and be consistent. If I love it, motivation is not a problem. Being consistent? Always a problem no matter what....damn Pness.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Honestly, I think ESTP is the greatest type for business. They seem to have the least ideals and values, making them most fluid and opportunistic.

That being says, NTJs make great players, they sure know how to dominate. This helps them make big monopolies.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear INFP struggling with the reality of business life. It's mostly cold world out there and in the end it's the profit that keeps the company alive (not originality, ideology or empathy). I could see them getting sidetracked with their business and making it personal (customers are frieds/friends are customers). I wouldn't be surprised to see them make bad business calls based on wrong arguments.

However, that doesn't mean INFPs could not success. They have great many assets by their personality that allows them to thrive in the business world. One is their originality and empathy (especially since the business world tends to be biased in ESTP/NTJ direction). I'd believe that nobody runs emotion-based businesses (coffee/chocolate shops) like INFP.

And of course, nothing says that INFPs can't be the meanest kid in the monopoly game either.

In the end, it's all about just knowing oneself and setting your priorities accordingly. And making sure your needs meet the needs of the business (otherwise you'll be rather unhappy with the business).

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I had a little "business" which sold around $400 in art but bought around $3000 in art supplies. I would not call that a success, but maybe you are a better cook than I am an artist.

Coupled with your avatar I want to giggle, pinch you on your cheek and say "you're so cute!"

But in seriousness, ouch and you really did it with gusto. Would you start another business knowing what you know now?

[MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION] I would say when you start small at 'subsistence' or 'pocket change' level it doesn't matter how good or bad you are because the basic functions of the business and the amount you need to make are so simple. Start small and see how it goes. At that level it will be more about if you can cook at all and how many acquaintances you can get to jump start orders.

As your small business grows your weak spots will get stressed - by definition to be the owner/operator you have to very good at keeping track of things and details. You also have to practice fiscal responsibility on top of being able to accurately project expenses and future orders.

I would say start doing it because you want to and for the experience. From your starting out point there isn't much risk. If your business seems like it has more potential or you realize you want to handle more business look into getting software to help with orders and expenses and attend your local chamber of commerce and city events (there should be free workshops for small business owners and also for female business owners). Get as much information about business as you can get as cheaply (or free) as you can get it. Many cities have dedicated small business incubators/help centers.

If you decide it's not for you in the first month or so you can quit without many penalties.

Good luck! If I were in the same city I'd order something from you. :)

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
PS INFPs have Te which is your lifesaver for business. You can use it and train it and it will be invaluable in organizing and running your business. Also, with something like cooking/meal delivery you don't need salesmanship (extroversion) as much. A good website, nice pictures and word of mouth will go a lot farther than you talking yourself up could do. So I think your business idea is a good fit.

I would definitely do a little homework and look into how to write up a business model. You can borrow a book from the library about this. Maybe read case studies of very successful meal delivery businesses and speak with or talk to local food delivery business owners.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I could see them getting sidetracked with their business and making it personal (customers are frieds/friends are customers).

I'd believe that nobody runs emotion-based businesses (coffee/chocolate shops) like INFP.

I think these are misconceptions about the INFP personality in general. Since you mentioned ESTPs, from my observations, they are much more likely to get buddy-buddy with clients. This is because they tend to be more sociable & outgoing, being extroverts. It's a great flaw of mine anyway to not be personable with people. I tend to prefer to compartmentalize my life, and have even offended clients by being very to-the-point & direct. I forget to say "how are you?" and things like that because I just don't care.

A lot of the "friendly" stuff has far more to do with extroversion than feeling.

Valis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I think any type can successfully run a business provided you stick to what you know, manage cash-flow, aggressively market your products and learn from your mistakes.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I think these are misconceptions about the INFP personality in general. Since you mentioned ESTPs, from my observations, they are much more likely to get buddy-buddy with clients.

There was a slight misunderstanding here.

What I meant is that INFPs do this:

..starting at small though and just having friends as clients to test the waters...

this ESTP friend of mine said once:
I don't count people I know as my customers, because they are most likely buying stuff from me just because they know me personally. That's giving a biased perspective on customer-seller relationship.

Since you mentioned ESTPs, from my observations, they are much more likely to get buddy-buddy with clients. This is because they tend to be more sociable & outgoing, being extroverts.

Aye. Customers often prefer to be treated in a friendly manner. Just recently there was this one cashier at local supermarket who was being extraordinarily extroverted. He always greeted people heartily and tried to lighten up their day. He quickly received nation wide popularity and a facebook-group.

I think ESTPs have easier time befriending people and acting all nice and shine with people they don't know. INFPs are more likely looking for a stronger and truer bond, and thus might feel distant to people they don't know. Just like you say here:

It's a great flaw of mine anyway to not be personable with people. I tend to prefer to compartmentalize my life, and have even offended clients by being very to-the-point & direct. I forget to say "how are you?" and things like that because I just don't care.

So what I meant is that INFPs are more likely to take it more personally if a friend chooses to use a product from the competitor.

A lot of the "friendly" stuff has far more to do with extroversion than feeling.

Agreed. And mostly it's good for the business.