First 123 Last

How long is a piece of string?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I do okay with behind the scenes stuff (yes, even in managing money). I am not good at sales or client relationships, which means bringing in the clients/projects is where I fail. I once worked with someone else in a magazine/design business who was supposed to handle the sales & client stuff, but they were not trustworthy in the end. That's obviously a HUGE part of the business too. You have to schmooze & go after people, and if you have someone else do it (or some other aspect), then you have to trust them.

You also have to be able to put time/energy/money into it for awhile without making any profit, or very little. If you don't have much money to start with, then that can be a big hurdle. That's always been my other problem; ideas without financial means to get them off the ground. I think these are common problems people face regardless of type though.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

I drink your milkshake. Thessaly's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

I think in a partnership I'd be great. Doing freelance work I really have to motivate myself and be consistent. If I love it, motivation is not a problem. Being consistent? Always a problem no matter what....damn Pness.
    With dreamers, pure and simple, the imagination remains a vaguely sketched inner affair. It is not embodied in any aesthetic or practical invention. Reverie is the equivalent of weak desires. Dreamers are the aboulics of the creative imagination.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Honestly, I think ESTP is the greatest type for business. They seem to have the least ideals and values, making them most fluid and opportunistic.

That being says, NTJs make great players, they sure know how to dominate. This helps them make big monopolies.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear INFP struggling with the reality of business life. It's mostly cold world out there and in the end it's the profit that keeps the company alive (not originality, ideology or empathy). I could see them getting sidetracked with their business and making it personal (customers are frieds/friends are customers). I wouldn't be surprised to see them make bad business calls based on wrong arguments.

However, that doesn't mean INFPs could not success. They have great many assets by their personality that allows them to thrive in the business world. One is their originality and empathy (especially since the business world tends to be biased in ESTP/NTJ direction). I'd believe that nobody runs emotion-based businesses (coffee/chocolate shops) like INFP.

And of course, nothing says that INFPs can't be the meanest kid in the monopoly game either.

In the end, it's all about just knowing oneself and setting your priorities accordingly. And making sure your needs meet the needs of the business (otherwise you'll be rather unhappy with the business).
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by BAJ View Post
    I had a little "business" which sold around $400 in art but bought around $3000 in art supplies. I would not call that a success, but maybe you are a better cook than I am an artist.
    Coupled with your avatar I want to giggle, pinch you on your cheek and say "you're so cute!"

But in seriousness, ouch and you really did it with gusto. Would you start another business knowing what you know now?

@prplchknz I would say when you start small at 'subsistence' or 'pocket change' level it doesn't matter how good or bad you are because the basic functions of the business and the amount you need to make are so simple. Start small and see how it goes. At that level it will be more about if you can cook at all and how many acquaintances you can get to jump start orders.

As your small business grows your weak spots will get stressed - by definition to be the owner/operator you have to very good at keeping track of things and details. You also have to practice fiscal responsibility on top of being able to accurately project expenses and future orders.

I would say start doing it because you want to and for the experience. From your starting out point there isn't much risk. If your business seems like it has more potential or you realize you want to handle more business look into getting software to help with orders and expenses and attend your local chamber of commerce and city events (there should be free workshops for small business owners and also for female business owners). Get as much information about business as you can get as cheaply (or free) as you can get it. Many cities have dedicated small business incubators/help centers.

If you decide it's not for you in the first month or so you can quit without many penalties.

Good luck! If I were in the same city I'd order something from you.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

PS INFPs have Te which is your lifesaver for business. You can use it and train it and it will be invaluable in organizing and running your business. Also, with something like cooking/meal delivery you don't need salesmanship (extroversion) as much. A good website, nice pictures and word of mouth will go a lot farther than you talking yourself up could do. So I think your business idea is a good fit.

I would definitely do a little homework and look into how to write up a business model. You can borrow a book from the library about this. Maybe read case studies of very successful meal delivery businesses and speak with or talk to local food delivery business owners.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Habba View Post
    I could see them getting sidetracked with their business and making it personal (customers are frieds/friends are customers).

I'd believe that nobody runs emotion-based businesses (coffee/chocolate shops) like INFP.
    I think these are misconceptions about the INFP personality in general. Since you mentioned ESTPs, from my observations, they are much more likely to get buddy-buddy with clients. This is because they tend to be more sociable & outgoing, being extroverts. It's a great flaw of mine anyway to not be personable with people. I tend to prefer to compartmentalize my life, and have even offended clients by being very to-the-point & direct. I forget to say "how are you?" and things like that because I just don't care.

A lot of the "friendly" stuff has far more to do with extroversion than feeling.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I think any type can successfully run a business provided you stick to what you know, manage cash-flow, aggressively market your products and learn from your mistakes.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I think these are misconceptions about the INFP personality in general. Since you mentioned ESTPs, from my observations, they are much more likely to get buddy-buddy with clients.
    There was a slight misunderstanding here.

What I meant is that INFPs do this:

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    ..starting at small though and just having friends as clients to test the waters...
    this ESTP friend of mine said once:
    I don't count people I know as my customers, because they are most likely buying stuff from me just because they know me personally. That's giving a biased perspective on customer-seller relationship.
    Since you mentioned ESTPs, from my observations, they are much more likely to get buddy-buddy with clients. This is because they tend to be more sociable & outgoing, being extroverts.
    Aye. Customers often prefer to be treated in a friendly manner. Just recently there was this one cashier at local supermarket who was being extraordinarily extroverted. He always greeted people heartily and tried to lighten up their day. He quickly received nation wide popularity and a facebook-group.

I think ESTPs have easier time befriending people and acting all nice and shine with people they don't know. INFPs are more likely looking for a stronger and truer bond, and thus might feel distant to people they don't know. Just like you say here:

It's a great flaw of mine anyway to not be personable with people. I tend to prefer to compartmentalize my life, and have even offended clients by being very to-the-point & direct. I forget to say "how are you?" and things like that because I just don't care.
    So what I meant is that INFPs are more likely to take it more personally if a friend chooses to use a product from the competitor.

A lot of the "friendly" stuff has far more to do with extroversion than feeling.
    Agreed. And mostly it's good for the business.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by pmj85 View Post
    How long is a piece of string?