User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by imhappytoday View Post
    I have a very introspective father, he's been a great role model for me.
    Thank you for your advice sir. I'm actually thinking about going to this college; http://www.evergreen.edu/
    I've read into it quite a bit and I have trouble learning in an ordinary class-like environment. It seems like an awesome place.
    Sounds pretty cool -- I also had a lot of trouble with school and regret not going to a small liberal arts school. It took me 7.5 years to graduate because I kept taking semesters off and withdrawing... I got pretty lost at my school.

My only concern is the no grades thing. It'll be really nice during college but maybe a bit harder to take seriously as an employer. Have you ever heard of/thought about Colorado College? It's also non-traditional in that you only take one class at a time and the classes only last a month. My friend did really well there and also had trouble during high school.

So are you done with high school completely? It might be nice to put yourself in an environment where you can meet peers even if most of them are kinda annoying...

MBTI
    ExFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Sounds pretty cool -- I also had a lot of trouble with school and regret not going to a small liberal arts school. It took me 7.5 years to graduate because I kept taking semesters off and withdrawing... I got pretty lost at my school.

My only concern is the no grades thing. It'll be really nice during college but maybe a bit harder to take seriously as an employer. Have you ever heard of/thought about Colorado College? It's also non-traditional in that you only take one class at a time and the classes only last a month. My friend did really well there and also had trouble during high school.

So are you done with high school completely? It might be nice to put yourself in an environment where you can meet peers even if most of them are kinda annoying...
    that sounds like what's going to go on with me, highschool feels like such a big stress. and alot of places now wont hire if you don't have a highschool graduation certificate.
    and the no grades thing also worried me, but if I wanted to get into the arts that'd be great I think. I'm still not sure what I'll do, I'll definitely take your advice and look at Colarado, non-traditional seems like the way to go. And no, at the moment i'm not doing anything but getting kinda grounded but my dad wants to enroll me into an online program for a year, and if I do alright on that i'll go to a regular school of his choice.
    My peers were a huge part of my life, now i'm pretty much a loner cause I don't have much contact with anybody. So i'm going to get my license and get a job and yeah @.@

Thanks for talkin' with me by the way.
    "We are all worms, but I do believe I am a glow worm." -WC

Permabanned

Phil/premed

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

so trying to find yourself, young whippersnapper

my advice? go out and experience some stuff... not bad or dangerous stuff (I would know) but check out any occupation or future that you find interesting by shadowing... most professionals are flattered and love to show a young person the ropes... they usually will help you out as far as what you need as well

read, talk to people, volunteer... just get out there, you'll figure things out
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ExFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    so trying to find yourself, young whippersnapper

my advice? go out and experience some stuff... not bad or dangerous stuff (I would know) but check out any occupation or future that you find interesting by shadowing... most professionals are flattered and love to show a young person the ropes... they usually will help you out as far as what you need as well

read, talk to people, volunteer... just get out there, you'll figure things out
    THANKYOU ! I'll definitely use your advice.
    I was going to go to a soup kitchen for my first time and I'm really excited, so wish me luck !

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

soup kitchens are fun... you get to meet all kinds of interesting people on both sides of the line (volunteers and the down and out)

and I was quite the indecisive person at that age... I hung out in a variety of drs offices and county buildings and things of the sort to get a feel of what I wanted to do in life... and then ended up doing something completely different in the end because I don't like spending time in an office
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ExFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    soup kitchens are fun... you get to meet all kinds of interesting people on both sides of the line (volunteers and the down and out)

and I was quite the indecisive person at that age... I hung out in a variety of drs offices and county buildings and things of the sort to get a feel of what I wanted to do in life... and then ended up doing something completely different in the end because I don't like spending time in an office
    I dont think i'll like the office much either. I just wana have fun with my work, and make people happy. I'm thinking maybe an advice column .

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'd suggest getting some practice by starting one online with advice for teens... the earlier you start the better

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I sort of.. made a last minute command decision to join the army I really had no idea what I liked as a teenager, or where I was going.

What I think I'd suggest to teenagers now that I have time to reflect.. is to work at many different kinds of jobs. See what you like. do you like working with people? Or by yourself? Do you like helping others, or leading them? Do you like working with your hands, or in a fast paced environment?

Entry level jobs let teenagers know what they like. It teaches them to deal with things like management (both the literal kind with people telling you what to do, and the sort where you have to figure out when to hold your tongue and when to stand your ground), money, budgeting, and the ever-so-important responsibilities of being in the right place, at the right time, in the right uniform. I worked as soon as I was old enough to all through high school, and ended up buying my own car myself when the time came. So I'd suggest finding human interaction and some guidance through working part-time jobs.

Maybe you think you'd like to work as a scientist or something, but then realize you just HATE quiet, meticulous work and love fast paced, loud stuff.. so even if the subject is interesting, it's good to know you'd hate the job and resent it regardless. Entry level jobs help sculpt you through experience, so I'd start there if I was you.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ExFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I sort of.. made a last minute command decision to join the army I really had no idea what I liked as a teenager, or where I was going.

What I think I'd suggest to teenagers now that I have time to reflect.. is to work at many different kinds of jobs. See what you like. do you like working with people? Or by yourself? Do you like helping others, or leading them? Do you like working with your hands, or in a fast paced environment?

Entry level jobs let teenagers know what they like. It teaches them to deal with things like management (both the literal kind with people telling you what to do, and the sort where you have to figure out when to hold your tongue and when to stand your ground), money, budgeting, and the ever-so-important responsibilities of being in the right place, at the right time, in the right uniform. I worked as soon as I was old enough to all through high school, and ended up buying my own car myself when the time came. So I'd suggest finding human interaction and some guidance through working part-time jobs.

Maybe you think you'd like to work as a scientist or something, but then realize you just HATE quiet, meticulous work and love fast paced, loud stuff.. so even if the subject is interesting, it's good to know you'd hate the job and resent it regardless. Entry level jobs help sculpt you through experience, so I'd start there if I was you.
    I like working with people alot, and I don't care weather I'm a leader or a follower even though I'm good at either one, I don't mind the environment either. My parents are super "DO IT YOURSELF so I have been taken out of Highschool for alittle bit and have to do everything for myself aswell before I can get a job I have to get a drivers License so I can drive to my job >.> My dad also said he doesn't want me to be working at a grocery store cause he knows I'll have too much fun with my job, talking with people every second. so I'm going to work somewhere like a plant nursery.
    :|