123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Default ENFP (dis)satisfaction

so i've been feeling what pretty much amounts to existential boredom lately - my new relationship kept me all geared up for quite a few months but it's just not enough anymore, i trust it too much to get freaked out enough by it to satisfy my crazy need for Ne stimulation - and i've been thinking about satisfaction, and i've hit this realization that unless i'm doing something really

BIG

i am essentially unsatisfied...

the problem being, ideally i want to be at THE highest level of importance i can get to... not status-wise but big-picture-wise... i want to be global, working at a universal, world level...

but i'm not really sure how i can go about achieving this... i still haven't pursued a higher-ed career path because everything seems so dang small... i want to open up and get connected, not narrow down... for example i would love to be a doctor, but i want to help change healthcare globally, not just with one person a day... and even then if i think about public health, it's still not BIG enough...

i mean, this life, this is It, i don't want to just do little stuff all life long, i want to be at the center of the movements of the universe... i want to dig as far as i possibly can...

ENFPs do you resonate with me?

have you figured out any way to address this?

I relate 100000%. Just like reading my own word. Though, i am satisfied because I accepted that there will be a lot of time until I do something "big". Whenever I am bored I find something new to learn and practice. The possibilities are endless, I am so excited about unrevealed horizons... economics is my new love.. I want to spend few years catching up on others.. and be entrepreneur one day

until then... I will daydream.

P.S. When I was in medical school I was considering public health after i finish because it was logical move, given my global orientation. i couldnt do 1-on-1 with patients over and over again for more than few months... helping 1 person doesnt make changes that I want to do.

So, maybe.. i dont know how it is in the States, but pursuing a career in Public health etc sectors.. could be good choice.. for you..i understand that even reforming public health isn't "big" enough, because i would be bored after max 2 years of that job

maybe you would be interested in change leadership or something like that ? there are som PhD/MS programmes in the states that I saw and look really cool.

Just realization I had NOW: the more I pair my ambitions and hunger with my values - the more I am satisfied with "SMALL" things. Because if you pursue so much global things you lose track that you are making daily changes and they MATTER.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Sorry for butting in (I seem to be doing this a lot lately with threads not about my type...) but because ENFPs have got all that big beautiful Ne coming up with wild, crazy ideas...you often need someone more grounded and practical to actualize it, no? (like you said, you're not sure how to achieve it, yet...)

Your new guy is an SJ, no? Perhaps he can help!

I am interested in the responses to this thread too
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I do love the excitement of doing something big. I think what I utimately look for in my day to day activities is the prospect of UNLIMITED POTENTIAL, and when I find the limit, I get discouraged. It doesn't necessarily have to be global for me, but I have to have the opportunity to be the best at something, to be able to do everything associated with that particular obsession.

This is one reason I don't do martial arts anymore, because I haven't found one that I'm not limited by my physical requirements. Lately I've been wanting to take dance classes, but I haven't, and part of that has to do with that I can't think of any way dancing is going to take me to that UNLIMITED POTENTIAL level, no matter how much I'd enjoy it. It's a very limiting point of view. I've decided to try realize the potential of the moment instead of focusing on the long term. I think the only times I've really felt real happiness is when I'm totally in the flow of life. It trunmps the excitement of the possibility of future.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Wow this thread is bursting with Ne energy
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    INFJ

Maybe Network Marketing is your thing.

ENFPs are known to know many people within a 300km radius... (I coughed-up that number without thinking...) But really! Who do you know that knows somebody who does something that can do more something to somebody who also knows somebody who can....and it goes on and on.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelurking View Post
    Maybe Network Marketing is your thing.

ENFPs are known to know many people within a 300km radius... (I coughed-up that number without thinking...) But really! Who do you know that knows somebody who does something that can do more something to somebody who also knows somebody who can....and it goes on and on.
    I'm maybe speaking only for myself here, it's not really a competition thing. It's not about knowing that you're better than somebody, it's about being able to fully realize a role or a concept, taking it to its boundaries.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Sorry for butting in (I seem to be doing this a lot lately with threads not about my type...) but because ENFPs have got all that big beautiful Ne coming up with wild, crazy ideas...you often need someone more grounded and practical to actualize it, no? (like you said, you're not sure how to achieve it, yet...)

Your new guy is an SJ, no? Perhaps he can help!

I am interested in the responses to this thread too
    i like you butting in! i like you. plus after all, Ne = the more ideas/people/things, the better

and good idea

i think he is... as of now i'm pretty sure he's ExFJ at least. sometimes he confuses me whether he's Si or not. i think so. but then he he seems pretty Si most of the time. but then has these weird foreseeings that seem all Ni and i get confuzed.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I'm maybe speaking only for myself here, it's not really a competition thing. It's not about knowing that you're better than somebody, it's about being able to fully realize a role or a concept, taking it to its boundaries.

It doesn't have to be a competition if you choose not to compete. You're your own 'boss' so you get to choose how you like it.

Also, it is great place for everyone to allow their potential to shine with helping other people realise their own.
    Last edited by ilovelurking; 11-16-2011 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Adding last point.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I'm not an ENFP, but this really resonates with me. That's been an issue with me for years now--I really want to make a major impact on everything, not just work within the system but actually change the system. And yet it's hard to come up with like one job position, for instance, that would allow me to make all the changes I'd want to make. And I've tried convincing myself that I'll be okay with only making a difference in a little way (like only the people around me in my area or that I know personally), but the truth is that I'm not okay with that. I just sense this need to try to change things in a mega-way. I'm studying to be an English teacher right now, but I know this will only be a temporary job. I just can't see myself teaching the five-paragraph essay for the rest of my life and being happy with that *shudders*

I'm beginning to think that instead of one job position being the answer to this need to want to make a big impact, the answer is probably closer to addressing each issue individually. Like seeing what should be changed in health care and addressing that specifically, and then looking at what should be changed in education specifically and addressing that, and keep going down the list.

Since you asked if anyone has any ideas for addressing this, I hope it's okay if I make a suggestion as to how you could try to achieve some of these aspirations. This is just something that has worked for me over the years, and maybe it can help you:

--Define the end-goal as specifically as possible.

Ex: I'm currently on a mission to change the way a specific disorder is handled in the medical field, and my goal is to have the treatment that has been shown to work (through many studies) be known by everyday doctors so that it gets passed on to the patients who need it. (Note: I know that you're talking about something bigger than this, but this can work for many, many different things, and I also believe that breaking it into smaller goals helps it to be achievable)

--Work backwards. What would have to come right before this in order for this to happen?

Ex. 1) The doctors would have to be made aware of this treatment and be convinced that it works, 2) the doctors would have to be made aware of what this disorder really entails and how devastating it can actually be to take it seriously

--Keep working backwards. What would have to come right before this in order for it to happen?

Ex. The doctors would need to be told the truth about this disorder, how devastating it is, and how to treat it by people who they trust and respect the opinions of.

And then it keeps going back to who would tell them (ex. their colleagues, medical teachers, a whole crap load of patients with the disorder, etc), and it keeps going on until you have a big plan as to how you can effect the change you want to see, and you know what you can do now in order to get the ball moving.

This is just a suggestion, but I hope it helps.