User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

This might not apply directly but to me it's like the saying that goes "If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well"

There are 2 value judgments that need to be made here
    1) Figuring out what is "worth doing" for you
    2) Figuring out how to measure if you're "doing well"

For question 1, there's a high probability that the "worth doing" here is not just about what profit we make but rather whether we feel that we are making a difference with what we are doing. You mentioned in your OP that you are interested in healthcare which is not a minor investment of time as a career. Which part of healthcare would be the one that you think will give you the most satisfaction based on the effort you put in? What sort of global impact do you wish to achieve? Cure a disease such as cancer? Make healthcare more affordable?
    As was suggested by SubtleFighter, start from your end-goal(s) and work backwards. If you have a rough outline of what you need to do to achieve your end-goal, then you can better judge if it will be "worth doing".

Question 2 is more of a challenge for Idealists like us who tend to aim for such high, lofty goals that we get demotivated when we fall short. Again, work backwards from your big goal and divide it into sub-goals in smaller time-frames that are achievable so that you can at least see yourself as successfully working towards your dream. It's great to have a dream of Solving the world's hunger problem, for example, but we need to have some practical milestones and ways to measure if we are actually going anywhere. Besides, most of the BIG problems can't be solved by a single person anyway so why put all the burden on just your shoulders? Figure out how and how much you can contribute to solving the whole puzzle.
    I have "What I feel is convenient enough is the key" written on the whiteboard of my cubicle. It's not really about coming up with the perfect solution. It's about coming up with one that works well enough and most importantly, be practical in terms of things such as cost, implementation, etc.

Good luck in finding your spot in the Universe
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    so i've been feeling what pretty much amounts to existential boredom lately - my new relationship kept me all geared up for quite a few months but it's just not enough anymore, i trust it too much to get freaked out enough by it to satisfy my crazy need for Ne stimulation - and i've been thinking about satisfaction, and i've hit this realization that unless i'm doing something really

BIG

i am essentially unsatisfied...

the problem being, ideally i want to be at THE highest level of importance i can get to... not status-wise but big-picture-wise... i want to be global, working at a universal, world level...

but i'm not really sure how i can go about achieving this... i still haven't pursued a higher-ed career path because everything seems so dang small... i want to open up and get connected, not narrow down... for example i would love to be a doctor, but i want to help change healthcare globally, not just with one person a day... and even then if i think about public health, it's still not BIG enough...

i mean, this life, this is It, i don't want to just do little stuff all life long, i want to be at the center of the movements of the universe... i want to dig as far as i possibly can...

ENFPs do you resonate with me?

have you figured out any way to address this?
    I totally understand what you're talking about and I feel the same.
    I can't help you much, the only thing I can tell you is a lesson I got from my involvement into politics/the social sphere, and I guess it works on a personal level: it's that in order to change something big you have to act locally. politically/socially change takes forever, and it's difficult to see immediate results. and also with time I've gained mistrust of working in big groups/ideologies/hypocrisy/etc, so I chose to follow my own morals and be coherent with myself and do things everyday in a small scale, on a local level (talking to people, being coherent between what you advocate and what you do, participating at actions within your sphere).
    0k so I don't know how this can help you but i guess it could work as a nice meme: BE PATIENT, THINK GLOBALLY ACT LOCALLY. Apply it to your life: keep your goals in perspective, focus on achieving them one by one.
    (sorry if this didn't help much)

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    I totally understand what you're talking about and I feel the same.
    I can't help you much, the only thing I can tell you is a lesson I got from my involvement into politics/the social sphere, and I guess it works on a personal level: it's that in order to change something big you have to act locally. politically/socially change takes forever, and it's difficult to see immediate results. and also with time I've gained mistrust of working in big groups/ideologies/hypocrisy/etc, so I chose to follow my own morals and be coherent with myself and do things everyday in a small scale, on a local level (talking to people, being coherent between what you advocate and what you do, participating at actions within your sphere).
    0k so I don't know how this can help you but i guess it could work as a nice meme: BE PATIENT, THINK GLOBALLY ACT LOCALLY. Apply it to your life: keep your goals in perspective, focus on achieving them one by one.
    (sorry if this didn't help much)
    Love the bolded!

Also, it is important that as you do something you'd love to do make sure it is fun. I just find that even for my ENFP friends, as much as when something is a worthy cause if it gets too serious they get drained real quick.

I am speaking as a coach and an entrepreneur myself. My significant other is ENFP.

so i've been feeling what pretty much amounts to existential boredom lately - my new relationship kept me all geared up for quite a few months but it's just not enough anymore, i trust it too much to get freaked out enough by it to satisfy my crazy need for Ne stimulation - and i've been thinking about satisfaction, and i've hit this realization that unless i'm doing something really

BIG

the problem being, ideally i want to be at THE highest level of importance i can get to... not status-wise but big-picture-wise... i want to be global, working at a universal, world level...

but i'm not really sure how i can go about achieving this... i still haven't pursued a higher-ed career path because everything seems so dang small... i want to open up and get connected, not narrow down... for example i would love to be a doctor, but i want to help change healthcare globally, not just with one person a day... and even then if i think about public health, it's still not BIG enough...

i mean, this life, this is It, i don't want to just do little stuff all life long, i want to be at the center of the movements of the universe... i want to dig as far as i possibly can...

have you figured out any way to address this?
    i think it's alright to start from small.
    and while working on it you just need
    to keep an open for other pieces to
    build on it. i think it's also about trying
    to find the common denominator in
    all the little things and herding it in
    together. without the little things,
    it's just one big flat empty thing.

the little things are what kinda build
    the dimensions and depth, and varying
    degrees, it gives texture to that one
    big thing.

i think to even have the capacity to
    just dream or desire for something
    big is great in itself. and i think the
    next greatest thing to that is to not
    underestimate how the little things
    can build up.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Wow, we're definitely on the same wavelength, and I've actually been thinking about this a lot lately, especially in comparison to a lot of the people around me.

I'm a nurse pursuing higher education, and you hit the nail on the head when you say, "I want to create a change in healthcare for the better." So, I'm an RN pursuing higher education. In the end, I either can't do the thing I want to do, or the thing I want to do with healthcare isn't really important to begin with, or what I can do just won't be good enough.

I love making a difference in the lives of others, and I do so every day. But there is always this nagging feeling that I have the power to not only change this ladies day or that guy's life, but to change the entire future of healthcare towards wellness- so that every patient, (and person) in the future will somehow benefit. Florence Nightingale style. And that is a tough thing to live with.

When I say, "the people around me", I mean- I will tell people about my plans, (and not to change healthcare, but just say- where I may go with my higher education, which never seems good enough to me,) and they will look at me in awe and say like, "how can you do that? I am happy just being an RN." And while I know that "being an RN" comes with a decent amount of power within a smaller spectrum, and is a very important job in healthcare, I don't understand how they can't see where I'm coming from as well. While some of my smaller and more immediate ambitions are crazy to some, they are just very minor stepping stones for me.

I've always wanted to be "big", not to be famous, but to be at the top of whatever I'm doing- (for downward flowing impact purposes) , so once I've had a base understanding of one thing, I've wanted to move to the next, (a higher level or different thing all together), and I'm afraid that it will be that way my whole life- because in the end I'm just one insignificant person just like almost everyone else on this planet.

(sweet, copied the third section for a personal goals paper that I'm writing- my original work was kind of cold sounding, I'm going to change part of it to this.)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    2 so/sx

Age.

I totally get this-the notion that it isnt enough to help simply one person, but really a deep seated desire to take all of the love/hope/beauty inside and somehow expand that outwards to benefit everyone-as one poster mentioned-it is more a desire to change the system.

metaphorically, if I may wax and wane poetically in a lament:

The world is a place of hurt and sadness for many. If there was a way to dissolve into nothingness, but permeate the mist between the world, that mesh that binds everyone and everything I would do so with the goal of making each person's life just a bit happier, just a bit more whole. I want to take the whole world, place it in my hands and hold it to my chest and let it know it is loved.

at the same time, the sense of unlimited horizens, of always having something bigger to accomplish, of pushing myself to strive past those boundaries runs very strong. I want to be able to explode outwards and let my fingertips graze the very edges of the universe. It feels like a constant folding and enfolding, relinking of everything around me, into a deeper and more continous one-ness. I want to touch the edge of the universe, so that it is linked to every other thing in the universe, via the underlying firmament of love? crazeee.

Pragmatically:

I picked and stuck with a career path as I had to support my son, thus self sufficiency was my top priority. However I picked biochemistry as I had some weird notion of curing cancer or disease. I considered nursing, but as shortnsweet noted, it didnt seem to me that I could help change the system.Once done I left and worked at a small biotech that developed infection, genetic and diagnostic disease products. Evenetually I was promoted to being a product manager, which is an awesome enfp job. As a product manager, everyday you come in and are personally responsible for the future of the product you are responsible for. For the hundreds of people using my product, if I do my job right, they are enabled to do their job more effectively. For my particular product line at my last job, that meant producing massive amounts of data in very novel ways, that could allow huge strides forward in understanding cancer. The reward is not in recognition or in money-but in making people's lives better. Now once the product was working according to their needs, I got bored and the company was so fucking disfucntional, that I found a job at a software company as a product manager. In this case, my choices dont impact health, but they do drastically improve the stress levels and logistical capabilities of the customers using my product-again the reward is in helping their life be just a little bit better each day... so it is rewarding.

The thing may be to pick and stick with a specific area of study-but once complete, identify what roles would allow the greatest systemic influence-perhaps epidemiology in medicine or becoming a physician who works with groups like ADA as an advocate for the patients, or being a physician who conducts research/clinical trials. Back when I was in grad school I recall the MD/PHDs saying very few MDs wanted to do clinical research-yet a huge impact in patient care could be achieved there by design and structuring of new treatment paradigmns.

babble, babble, babble, hope some of this was of value!

BIG

This really resonates with me in the sense that I want to do something that means something. For me at least life isn't worth living unless you have a purpose. Who knows maybe you should run for President or something? That is pretty big and I'm pretty sure most of us would vote for you haha

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Kind of sad, but I wanted to do somethin important when in my twenties + younger and after I realized I cannot. Hmmm.. life gets you... Now I just manage of being myself and doing "something".... I have lost my Ne spark somehow!

Diving into Ni-space Crescent Fresh's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

... and i've hit this realization that unless i'm doing something really

BIG

This is an interesting topic. Although I'm not an ENFP, I've been feeling the same as you lately.

One tip is that, try to pinpoint those people who had a universal role (and this requires research). Then use LinkedIn to see how they move up their career path and see how they'd started from below.

I really hope you'll discover your true calling eventually!