• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] are Fi doms prone to paranoia?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I mean in general, well are they? I know Ni doms are but what about Fi doms?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
honestly, I think Fi doms are more prone to anger. it's subtle and deep seated, but I notice it with most of the Fi doms I talk to.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm not paranoid but I can be a bit over-dramatic at times, which can seem like paranoia I suppose. :shrug:

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^Elfboy, you can't take conclusions just from your (small) group of friends. It's not going to give you any solid idea of the reality.

Anyway, I'm inclined to believe the enneagram type is going to influence what happens to Fi dome....if they're prone to paranoia or anger. anger is associated with type 8, right (or GUT types)t? probably paranoia more with type 6 (or BRAIN types)? If you are a beautiful ENFP enneagram 7, for example, whether you're 7w8 or 7w6 might influence the way your Fi manifests (oops, just noticed you were talking about Fi DOMS, sorry about that, too late. go with this example anyway). Maybe this is why Elfboy (7w8) is so fast at categorizing Fi -> anger. I have quite balanced wings and I'm VERY family with both (anger and paranoia).

KDude

I don't see why they would any more than others (besides Ni perceptions, like you mentioned. And on that note, I'd think ISPs are more susceptible to it than strictly Fi dom.. in addition to NJ). Paranoia is rooted in perceptions, after all.

KDude

FWIW, here's a more a well thought out description of what I mean applicable to all Ni types.. from the greenlight wiki.

As a Dominant Function, Ni leads INJs to anchor themselves primarily in discovery of and attunement to that "what else"--to seek communion with it for its own sake. INJs are typically concerned with finding an independent and all-encompassing perspective on whatever interests them, so they can see it without bias, without being fooled or led along by ways in which other interests have set things up, and without a merely partial understanding.

As a Secondary Function, Ni typically leads ENJs to be aware of alternative ways of negotiating the social world, that exploit the assumptions that people make in order for there to be a social world. One might use this awareness to be on guard against cheaters, to prevail by setting knots and traps for others to fall into, to commit to a vision that might currently seem impossible, or a thousand other ways to serve or create an Extraverted goal.

As a Tertiary Function, Ni typically leads ISPs to suspect others of hypocrisy and cheating and putting on appearances aimed at exploiting people's credulity--especially hypocrisy inherent in social institutions. Sometimes ISPs draw upon Ni to find ways to throw a monkey wrench into social systems that call them into some kind of obligation: to respond in ways that don't make sense within the system's explicitly stated ways of interpreting behavior as cooperative or hostile (but are indeed hostile).

As an Inferior Function, Ni typically leads ESPs to either self-doubt or claim to a mystic vision--to see themselves as an oracle of transcendent truth, bypassing the need for finding things out through observation, reasoning, and putting ideas to a test.

Naturally, you can see plenty of dominant-style Ni in ENJs, secondary-style Ni in INJs, and so on--even inferior-style Ni in INJs

wolfy

awsm
Are you guys talking about me? ... what KDude said above is right I think.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The way my Fi is linked to paranoia is: someone says something to offend me, i get hurt, and i start this mental masturbation with my self: "did they realize they hurt me?" - cut to 2 solutions:
a) if i'm in a situation where i can, for ex if it's not my boss or a delicate situation where i have to be kind or i don't know the person well, then might splash out in anger to make it known and confront the person to what their intentions were.
b) if i can't do that, i start thinking in my mind. i think probably they didn't, i think god i'm too sensitive, then i think "no, maybe they don't like me....no, maybe they say that because they want to help me grow as a person.....but why would they do that? maybe they like me....but if they like me why don't they see that they hurt me? ....people are always hurting me. maybe there's something wrong with me. maybe i'm more sensitive than most people. maybe i'm not so 'normal' after all. why can't i just not care? but why are they all doing this to me all the time? they don't do this to anyone else? are they doing it no purpose to make me feel different?" etc etc etc etc
sorry this was quite neurotic and i promise i don't do it every time, but it was an honest transcript of what goes on in my mind. did it help illustrate the point?

I don't see why they would any more than others (besides Ni perceptions, like you mentioned. And on that note, I'd think ISPs are more susceptible to it than strictly Fi dom.. in addition to NJ). Paranoia is rooted in perceptions, after all.

Richardsen

MBTI Type
IxFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd say that Im more self absorbed and rageful than paranoid.
The NTJs seems more paranoid to me...

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think people who suffer from self doubt and depression can also be paranoid....sort of like...expecting things to go wrong...because isn't that how life always seems to work for me...that mentality...that negative pessimistic slant...being comfortable in that deep dark space...always searching for what will happen next...on the look out for negativity and impending doom....which for the fucking life of me i can't understand why this seems so prevalent in infps....just...that fi filter i guess...measuring everything against the ideal...it's like nothing ever has a chance.

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
honestly, I think Fi doms are more prone to anger. it's subtle and deep seated, but I notice it with most of the Fi doms I talk to.

Also being judgemental.

ExFPs too.

I haven't noticed them being paranoid. Just more concerned about what people think about them, that's all. That's not paranoia.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also being judgemental.
ExFPs too.
sometimes, yes.

I haven't noticed them being paranoid. Just more concerned about what people think about them, that's all. That's not paranoia.
actually, I've noticed EXTPs tend to care more than FPs do because of Tertiary Fe

Rim

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i think people who suffer from self doubt and depression can also be paranoid....sort of like...expecting things to go wrong...because isn't that how life always seems to work for me...that mentality...that negative pessimistic slant...being comfortable in that deep dark space...always searching for what will happen next...on the look out for negativity and impending doom....which for the fucking life of me i can't understand why this seems so prevalent in infps....just...that fi filter i guess...measuring everything against the ideal...it's like nothing ever has a chance.

Behind every cynic lies a bitter dreamer.

:) some of us (me for example) just anticipate and prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. If there ever was an optimistic cynic...that would be me.

...thou I could be ENFP. It has been brought to my attention so I'm reassessing my functions. I'm sometimes too logical and INFP negativity bothers me.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Behind every cynic lies a bitter dreamer.

:) some of us (me for example) just anticipate and prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. If there ever was an optimistic cynic...that would be me.

...thou I could be ENFP. It has been brought to my attention so I'm reassessing my functions. I'm sometimes too logical and INFP negativity bothers me.

haha...I think I do the opposite....I gripe about what is lacking NOW, still hope for the best, don't prepare for much, and then gripe when it goes wrong again. I can't help dreaming of a fabulous future in spite of myself though :tongue: .

ENFPs are possibly less "logical", being dominant P types. INFPs prefer rational reasoning, remember.

---

I agree w/ [MENTION=13377]pinkgraffiti[/MENTION] that INFPs are paranoid in the sense that they can be hypersensitive, seeing criticism where none was intended. I think I feel a mix of hurt & anger - mainly a frustration at what I see as being misunderstood. I am not paranoid in that I am not characteristically mistrustful of others, I don't suspect way more is going on below the surface, and I don't expect/prepare for worst case scenarios. I may be slightly naive, finding myself blindsided at times because of it. I usually give the benefit of the doubt for TOO long.

Hecuba

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
It's interesting, I made a thread today sort of touching on this. I can be paranoiac at times, mostly due to my mind overacting. That's not to say I don't get angry, I am zero to sixty in a few seconds. No wonder people call me insane.

Standuble

You like these old posts I see.

Paranoia is the realm of the perceiving function and never the judging function at least that's what I understand. It's more common in Ni types but it can occur in Ne types too (if the judging function judges the paranoid possibility created as the most logical/valued or if the Ne user becomes too tired to consciously determine more possibilities than the potentially incorrect limited selection they have available.)

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I can't find any literature online on it, but my professor in college said that most INFP's are very right brained thinkers, and right brained thinkers tend to be more prone to anxiety than left brain thinkers.

Standuble

According to Lenore Thomson, both Ti and Fi are right brain functions (Ti & Fi being in the back right area and Se & Ne being in front right.) Fi-doms should be no more prone to anxiety and/or paranoia than their Ti-dom counterparts.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
According to Lenore Thomson, both Ti and Fi are right brain functions (Ti & Fi being in the back right area and Se & Ne being in front right.) Fi-doms should be no more prone to anxiety and/or paranoia than their Ti-dom counterparts.

I think that Fi doms are more paranoid because Ti rationalizes out fears, but Fi isn't really that rational.