• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Am I INFJ or INTJ? A Quick Guide

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Those of you that experience confusion between whether or not you're an INFJ or INTJ, this is the place to look for information. That infamous T/F flip-flopping that never seems to end. You're emotional and empathetic like an INFJ, but you're also cerebral and cool-minded like an INTJ. What it all boils down to is your natural inclinations, rather than learned inclinations.

So here's ways to determine if you are INTJ or INFJ:

Communication Style
Ni-Fe and Ni-Te people have a directive style of communication. There's a difference between the two.
1. Te tends to be short and concise. i.e. :"Put the garbage out."
It implies "You do A".
2. Fe tends to be sweetened a bit, implying a favor. i.e. "May you put out the garbage for me?"
It implies "I'll ask you this favor in a nice way to establish a warm interaction with you."

Notice how your commanding style is. If you tend to use choice 1 more often, you use Te more than Fe. If you use choice 2 more often, asking people to do things as a favor, you use Fe more than Te.

The Stress Test
Think of the moment where you were the most stressed out. How did you respond? What is your coping mechanism afterwards?

If you are INTJ, then you will notice in the heat of stressed out moments you will respond a lot more emotionally than usual. Ni-Fi manifests itself as being like the inner child, and you will feel as if the world is out to get you, you are now vulnerable. It will be out of the ordinary for you to respond emotionally, when in most cases you remain calm and composed. After moments of stress, you will find yourself more indulgent than usual, treating yourself to more sensory related activities.

If you are INFJ, then you will notice in the heat of stressed out moments your ESTP shadow will manifest itself as being blunt and combative even towards those close to you. Tempers will flare similarly to the Ni-Fi response, but it will be much more physical... you'll feel the urge to shout or throw things, or cry. It will seem out of character for you to act this way. After the stressful situation, you'll find yourself migrating to a more logical Ni-Ti loop... a cool-down period where you will seem withdrawn from others but also like your brain has been turned on. Ti kicks in when you've exhausted all of your Fe reserves.

The Logistics

It all boils down to rationale. INTJs and INFJs may seem similar in that they are both logical beings, but their mode of logical thinking is quite different.

INTJ's mode of logical thinking is much more streamlined. It focuses on bringing about ideas into the physical world (Proactive thinking). It checks to see what steps one can take to achieve a desired outcome, and these steps are done in an efficient method. A goes to B, goes to C, so on and so forth. It is more empirical and searches for clear evidence to suggest that their intuition is accurate. The logic is based on usefulness and consensus of ideas in the group and coming up with a plan to achieve a desired goal.

INFJ's mode of logical thinking is more global and systematic. It resembles something like a stock-and-flow diagram, taking into account all interrelated parts of an event, person, idea, and thing. Causal loops, what effects what, who effects whom. Ti by nature searches for precision in terms, so often times INFJs will desire exact definitions and instructions to better understand what is required of them or what needs to be done. "Well, what do you mean by A? What are the implications of B? How does D effect C?" The logic is based on cause and effect, the likely consequences of actions in the present moment on the future, as well as probing for exact meaning.

The Cause

INFJs and INTJs both are visionaries. The difference lies in how they go about realizing their inner dreams.

INTJs will feel comfortable being the only one supporting their vision. As long as they feel deep down that it is the right thing to do, they will go for it. They will lay out a course of steps to achieve this desired outcome.

INFJs will feel more compelled to get others to join in with their vision. There is a tendency in INFJs to wrangle in the troops to serve the common good. They practically become missionaries for their inner vision.

The Eyes Have It

The gaze of Ni-doms is typically intense. But INTJs gaze tends to have a coolness about them, assurance, confidence, a sparkle, almost like they are looking through you. INFJs gaze, while most INFJs may seem outwardly stoic, there's an ironic softness to INFJ eyes, a doleful gaze, you can tell that their thinking is directed inwards, and will have the "thousand yard stare" on occasion.

So look into the mirror and see which type of gaze you have.

This is intended to be a quick guide if you are indecisive about your type. If you fall somewhere in between the two descriptions, then the next step is to check out your cognitive profile and see which processes you use more often. Also think of what comes the most natural to you, what feels right.

If anyone wishes to add to this, feel free to do so.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thank you for this. It was all very interesting.

No problem. :) I figured this would be useful to those that experience the INTJ/INFJ flip-flopping, and want to know what their real type is. It's a matter of finding out which scenarios sounds the most like yourself, rather than what you have learned to do.

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
This thread really goes with your current avatar.

It's like reading directly from a JCF/MBTI counselor. lol

I appreciate this thread too! :)

So INTJ goes to stress mode will resemble ESFP? Could you provide a little more details?

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you are INFJ, then you will notice in the heat of stressed out moments your ESTP shadow will manifest itself as being blunt and combative even towards those close to you. Tempers will flare similarly to the Ni-Fi response, but it will be much more physical... you'll feel the urge to shout or throw things, or cry. It will seem out of character for you to act this way. After the stressful situation, you'll find yourself migrating to a more logical Ni-Ti loop... a cool-down period where you will seem withdrawn from others but also like your brain has been turned on. Ti kicks in when you've exhausted all of your Fe reserves.

This was well described. I can get terribly blunt - and uncaring about the feelings of others - if I am very angry/stressed out. And I can feel a sort of road rage adrenaline at times - it's even made me physically shake.

I haven't wondered about INTJ as my possible type, though! ;)

EDIT: oh, and I TOTALLY have the thousand yard stare! So many people comment on it. I had a guy randomly ask me out once who first told me I looked like I was deep in thought. :laugh: And if friends (or even strangers!) stop me on the street, the most common thing they say is "you look like you're in a world of your own." This is usually all accompanied by the classical stoic/saintly facial expression. ;) I'm actually making an effort lately to smile a bit more when out in public, but I don't want to look creepy, either...

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This thread really goes with your current avatar.

It's like reading directly from a JCF/MBTI counselor. lol

I appreciate this thread too! :)

So INTJ goes to stress mode will resemble ESFP? Could you provide a little more details?

Yes, the INTJ will resemble an ESFP under stress. Not only responding more emotionally than usual (tempers flaring), but also they might end up resorting to indulging in things that offer instant gratification. They will end up taking more risks and being more impulsive when otherwise they'd hold themselves back.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I've pondered this dynamic once in a while, but the "Stress Test" really cemented it.

I don't get harsher, or angrier when I break down. Just more emotional and frustrated.

It scares me shitless when I start getting emotional. Then I go eat chocolate and get over it.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Isn't learned inclinations a natural inclination?

Actually what I meant was whether or not your preference for T or F is developed as a result of wanting to accommodate someone else's needs, or it really is something you can do with ease. So to answer your question, learned inclinations can become second nature, and become your mode of adapting to the environment, and become more natural for you. Other ways to adapt to the environment may take more concerted effort.

For instance, an INFJ may develop Te to accommodate the needs of a Te oriented person, so it may feel as if it is second nature, but their instinct is to help provide a warm and cooperative atmosphere, if this makes sense.

I hope this clarifies and answers your question.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What if you say:

"Can you take the garbage out...thanks"

It sounds less "bossy" than "Take the garbage out." I've been screamed at and scolded for sounding "too bossy" before, so I learn not to ask anything directly, lest I end up in a drama hell.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What if you say:

"Can you take the garbage out...thanks"

It sounds less "bossy" than "Take the garbage out." I've been screamed at and scolded for sounding "too bossy" before, so I learn not to ask anything directly, lest I end up in a drama hell.

Sounds like learning to use Fe.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
haha i love the NJ thousand-yard stare. all NJs have it, just you catch the ENJs doing it less. it's fascinating. it's like you're looking into a future universe.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*~*Thread Revival*~*

TOTAL NECROMANCY. C-C-C-COMBO B-BR-BREAKER.

Oh how old and sweet it is.

Yeah the stress for INTJ's seems accurate, I get this burst of deep emotion and I am highly indulgent afterwards. In fact, I'm getting tired of being overindulgent. :\

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh and in addition, I have doleful eyes when I do the Ni-stare. It's "forlorn" as noted by another member.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Oh and in addition, I have doleful eyes when I do the Ni-stare. It's "forlorn" as noted by another member.

Hmm, Ni stare eh? People in my studio classes have said that I look pissed off when I stare off into the distance thinking about ideas. Ne stare? or perhaps a lurking bitch face making its presence known every so often :happy2:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm, Ni stare eh? People in my studio classes have said that I look pissed off when I stare off into the distance thinking about ideas. Ne stare? or perhaps a lurking bitch face making its presence known every so often :happy2:

Oh beware of the awful bitch face. As unfriendly as it looks, it looks actually more funny (to me) when I see someone angry at a book. To see people just steaming at an inanimate object, I just can't help myself. :rofl1:

FBUser3131

"If you fall somewhere in between the two descriptions, then the next step is to check out your cognitive profile and see which processes you use more often."
Do you have a link to do so?
Thank you!

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"If you fall somewhere in between the two descriptions, then the next step is to check out your cognitive profile and see which processes you use more often."
Do you have a link to do so?
Thank you!
Have you already tried the Keys2Cognition site? It has a test, it is a good one.