• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Are you childlike?

Black Hole Sun

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm in my early twenties and still find joy in childish things, like my fascination for Disney films, not wanting to grow up, I don't really know how explain myself, but I wanted to know are you all childlike? When I was a child I thought very mature and even compared to my peers now I think mature, but in other ways I tend to be very childlike..How about you all?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm in my early twenties and still find joy in childish things, like my fascination for Disney films, not wanting to grow up, I don't really know how explain myself, but I wanted to know are you all childlike? When I was a child I thought very mature and even compared to my peers now I think mature, but in other ways I tend to be very childlike..How about you all?

I have also always had that mature/ childlike complex. Not exactly right on my age range. I look very young and have often been known to be very silly and laughing much more than the average adult. I would say I overall project a very young image, though I don't have any child- like interests. At the same time, as a kid I always got along better with adults, and even now, some of my closest friends are about 20 yrs. older than me. I'm not sure why that is.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I'm a grown-up! :tongue10:

But maybe I can act like a kid sometimes... ok maybe always.

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
I am in my thirties, I think innocent jokes are hilarious, I skip whenever I feel like it, etc. etc. I have watched my friends grow older, not necessarily in age but in attitude. I don't want to lose my wonder and joy at the "Biggest Acorn EVER" , what is the point if life can't amaze you? I have seen children thrilled over the littlest things and I agree with them. Sometimes people stop looking around, lose the curiosity and the thrill. Life is hard, focusing on that- ages. Better to breathe in the heady, sweet scent of the autumn leaves than stress that winter is coming.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I too was something of a precocious child mentally/emotionally. I read a lot of novels far outside my age level. I would speak to adults like I was on the same intellectual level as them. I didn't like certain kid movies as a child - ones that were highly slapstick never engaged me. I hated Home Alone & Beethoven (the dog movie), both of which were slapstick heavy kid movies that came out when I was a kid.

As an adult, I'd say I am childlike in the sense that I still have a really active imagination. I can play with kids like a kid still. I'm not a big fan of kids, but when I interact with them they tend to like me because I can play like they do still. I'm capable of that silly, ludicrous make-believe still.

I also tend to like playful, colorful, whimsical things, from clothes to music to movies. However, I also like refined, elegant, complex things, and I have since I was a child. It does become a mix of childlike/sage, which you often hear used to describe to both INFPs & INFJs.

Really, I would say I am a "perpetual teenager" more than a kid though, and that's something I see in other INFPs (ISFPs too though). There that's moodiness associated with teens that hangs on into adulthood, although it's far more subtle. There's also that obsession with independence, identity, and self-expression - themes that preoccupy many teenagers.

A love of novelty can also seem childlike because old people tend to get nostalgic, whereas young people tend to embrace the new. From what I can tell, many NFs tend to be on the childlike end of that spectrum. I know that I tend to be far more future-oriented & embracing of the new over nostalgic.

wolfy

awsm
I actually think I have gone in reverse. I have become more childlike as I grew older, I think that is confidence in knowing how far to push it rather than any change.

Black Hole Sun

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yeah I feel really old when it comes to choices I make like instead of going out and doing stuff I rather stay in and watch something good on the television I love nice movies that seem geared to the older crowd (like the movie its complicated), or when I make decisions about stuff I think of the bigger picture rather than just being impulsive which people tend to say I'm like 60, but on the other hand when alone I act really goofy playful I listen to Disney music (like the classics Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, etc) I love Christmas like a child would (not for the gifts, but for the music and season) If i go to the park I run and play like a child would (my friends usually don't want to) I am awfully nostalgic and depress that every minute that passes by I'm that step closer to death lol. I am all about the future and past, as I get older I feel more childlike and feel like everyone is old and sad with their responsibilities. :)

Turtledove

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Y'all don't tell no one...shhhh....I still watch cartoons.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I also tend to like playful, colorful, whimsical things, from clothes to music to movies. However, I also like refined, elegant, complex things, and I have since I was a child. It does become a mix of childlike/sage, which you often hear used to describe to both INFPs & INFJs.

Same here. Growing up I enjoyed things that were typically enjoyed by older people and things typically enjoyed by younger people. That has not changed.

A love of novelty can also seem childlike because old people tend to get nostalgic, whereas young people tend to embrace the new. From what I can tell, many NFs tend to be on the childlike end of that spectrum. I know that I tend to be far more future-oriented & embracing of the new over nostalgic.

I relate to both the nostalgia and embracing the new. FWIW, I've had people told me that I'm rather childlike but in a good sort of way. I wonder if some INTPs are perceived as childlike? INTPs can have a childlike enthusiasm for something that really holds their interest.

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I guess when you put it that way, yes i can do childish.

Yesterday I watched cartoon episodes of "cat in the hat" and "curious George". I want to watch childish films like "open season", "over the hedge", and "finding nemo".

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
No, not at all. I've always been a bit older than my years. I've never really been able to relate to my age group growing up. Even now, many of the things that other people in their mid-20's enjoy bore me, like parties, clubs, sports, and drinking.

That said, I do go through phases where I'll watch a cartoon here and there, but it never lasts long.

Even though I was a very serious little girl, I had a playful, slightly chaotic streak that often took people by surprise when it surfaced. That streak has grown steadily more prominent over the years and I get particularly chirpy and childlike when I'm happy. While I'm not invariably childlike, I have a pretty obvious silly switch.

I also fantasize endlessly to keep myself entertained, have a very juvenile sense of humour, and am, in many ways, stunningly naïve.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My interests aren't very childlike, but probaby outlook is. I can do jaded and sarcastic, but if I'm doing it, it's an act. There's a very childlike quality to earnestness, curiosity, openness and exploration.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
No, I would say that I'm not child-like at all. HOWEVER...

I do retain a non-cynical view of things. Also I'm a musician, and we seem to have a more open-minded way of dealing with reality that may seem child-like to some.

A

Anew Leaf

Even though I was a very serious little girl, I had a playful, slightly chaotic streak that often took people by surprise when it surfaced. That streak has grown steadily more prominent over the years and I get particularly chirpy and childlike when I'm happy. While I'm not invariably childlike, I have a pretty obvious silly switch.

I also fantasize endlessly to keep myself entertained, have a very juvenile sense of humour, and am, in many ways, stunningly naïve.

Good sum-up... I concur whole heartedly. :hug:

I am in my thirties, I think innocent jokes are hilarious, I skip whenever I feel like it, etc. etc. I have watched my friends grow older, not necessarily in age but in attitude. I don't want to lose my wonder and joy at the "Biggest Acorn EVER" , what is the point if life can't amaze you? I have seen children thrilled over the littlest things and I agree with them. Sometimes people stop looking around, lose the curiosity and the thrill. Life is hard, focusing on that- ages. Better to breathe in the heady, sweet scent of the autumn leaves than stress that winter is coming.

I agree with this my fellow INFP fwend. I was at the co-op in Seward today and THERE WAS THE BIGGEST APPLE EVER HOLY CRAP! I had to take a picture on my phone and then send it to friends. Some responded with "amgs awesome!" and others wrote back with a "there there... that's nice." If you can't get excited over the world's biggest apple, then maybe you need to tinker with your brain a bit. :D

I can be very serious face as needed... and occasionally will whip out the "wisdom beyond my years" face and mind. But my usual mode is just sort of whimsicality.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i'm typically pretty childlike. i'm easily amused, silly, and more naive than i'd like to admit. i'm always ending up in the baby role in whatever social situation i'm in too, because i surround myself with people older than me. and i definitely still watch nicktoons and disney movies sometimes.

uncommonentity

Sadly I can't afford to be childish when it comes to the current state of the world as only the strong survive.

I'm an absolute fucking retard with the right people in the right place at the right time though.

A perverted child however. I can't reverse puberty.

Though I admire innocence I like me some filth.

N

NPcomplete

I can't even pretend to not be childish. I have my moments of sarcasm and cynicism but it's all part of a self-protection mechanism which always fails at some point because I can't even keep pretending for long. I keep being told I'm "too idealistic" but it's the way I roll and obviously that only makes me stick to my ideals even more.

I spend a lot of my time in fantasy land and watch cartoons etc...I just hope I don't become jaded like some of the people of my age group. *adjusts pink shades*

OMG you guys, I got a windup squirrel toy today. IT IS AWESOME. :saturned:

N

NPcomplete

OMG you guys, I got a windup squirrel toy today. IT IS AWESOME. :saturned:

I played with windup toys in the store on Saturday. I smiled at anyone who was giving me strange looks and asked them if they wanted to play too. Felt awesome!