• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] What do all NFs have in common?

Black Hole Sun

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Because technically NFs use different functions or uses the functions in a different order so what do we all have in common?

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An interest in the workings of human relationships, I'd say.

uncommonentity

The power to be emotionally manipulated. Uh, wait.

I wanted to say being considerate but that'd only apply to ENFJ/INFJ.

Underlying powers of seduction perhaps.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
The ability to be very smart and very stupid at the same time.

:devil:

Edit - thanks to all the people who repped me to agree!

Last edited:

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe I'm disappointed by this thread because I was expecting NFs to share something that they didn't already have in common with every other human being on the planet.

N

NPcomplete

The power to be emotionally manipulated. Uh, wait.

I wanted to say being considerate but that'd only apply to ENFJ/INFJ.

I get emotionally manipulated by my mom and my sister all the time (ENFJ and INFJ respectively). It's quite sad. All I think is "aww they love me!" but what they probably have in mind is "how do we tear her from her work to get her to solve this problem for us?" and they smile and utter The Words.

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
One common theme I noticed among NFs is that we tend to be very sentimental and sympathetic.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Higher interest in human dynamics, as Silk Road said. Yeah, we all have that, but I think it's the primary focus of many NF's. When I think of "NF" that's normally what I think of- where that's not what I think about when I think of the other three.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is that something that's unique to NFs though, or simply a human trait?

and...

Higher interest in human dynamics, as Silk Road said. Yeah, we all have that, but I think it's the primary focus of many NF's. When I think of "NF" that's normally what I think of- where that's not what I think about when I think of the other three.

I agree with what shortsie said. I would never suggest that ONLY NFs are interested in human dynamics, obviously many (most?) people in other types are as well. But I would say it's a defining NF thing in that I don't really see how you can be NF and NOT have it, and perhaps to a greater extent than at least the "average" representative of many other types.

I mean, I do think there are people out there who have very little interest in human relations/dynamics. But they are not likely to be NFs.

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
On a bare MBTI test, an NF would be someone who answered on the N and F sides a majority of the time.

Outside of this self-assessment, I think it would be difficult to develop a single litmus test to qualify someone. One person may have on T characteristic in certain situation, and later decide with their heart.

So I see that many of the questions on the MBTI are too limiting, and do not apply to every situation. Some could be divided into dozens or hundreds of different situations, depending on the individual, and their relationship to that particular situation they might answer differently.

Since I tested close to the center for F/T, it was very difficult for me. I had to read as many personal stories as I could, and then compare weight of numerous moments of my own life, and then recount several times.

Yet, even so, I have to be other personality at work, or use all cognitive functions, not just the ones that I prefer.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
we're all idealist. we don't view the world simply as it is but assign a deeper meaning and significance. we view the world and the people in it by the way it/they can be. we focus on potential...we strive for ideal.

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
we're all idealist. we don't view the world simply as it is but assign a deeper meaning and significance. we view the world and the people in it by the way it/they can be. we focus on potential...we strive for ideal.

Really well said. I like this + the higher-than-average-interest-in-human-interaction.

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5

Oh, I like this one. It seems wherever I go...on my jobs...I see a better or more perfect way it could be, and it's like a quest to make it that way or obsess about it.

For example, in my last job, I took care of a Japanese Garden, and I kept desiring more materials to replace the fence after the hurricanes. The budget was small, but the books on Japanese Gardens included fences and all kinds of materials. I couldn't make it like the books on that budget. Making it like the books would take millions of dollars.

So wherever I go, I have a difference between "my idea" and "reality." I basically have a choice about whether I let that destroy me or not. Five years after I quit, I toured the garden, and they still hadn't gotten the fence.

Nowadays I realize this discrepancy is within me. Sometimes talking about "the wrong" is like teaching a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and it irritates the pig. Sometimes after years of negotiation, they realize my vision is best, but sometimes I need to adjust my level of caring back to the point where I'm a smidgen on the side of happiness.