User Tag List

12 Last

Diving into Ni-space Crescent Fresh's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default NFs, how long have you been learning / studying about MBTI?

I'm just curious as I'm fairly new to this.

And here are the two questions:

1. How has attaining this knowledge changed you?

2. What's the most difficult thing you need to overcome upon learning more about typology?

Anew Leaf

I first learned about it 15 years ago.

1- It helped me feel less weird/out of place. It has enabled me to work better with other people and to understand them.
    2- Trying to type everyone you meet.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

how long have you been studying about the MBTI?

I have been strongly interested since 1990. I came from a somewhat difficult childhood, and I went into my college counseling office when I was a freshman. They administered the MBTI. I tested as INTP with very weak T, so I read the profile. Then I started getting books on it, including "please understand me" and "gifts differing". I guess I've had about seven different books on the theory, as well as reading online.

Quote Originally Posted by Crescent Fresh View Post

Discovering the MBTI was a sort of watershed even for me. All my life I'd been told that I wasn't normal, among many other things. Normal people polish their car every week. Normal boys don't cry. Normal people, etc.

My father constantly ridiculed me in the most derogatory ways. Never did I receive the slightest crumb of approval or praise until I was about 28 years old. My gifts were not recognized or developed. He was sort of like the father in "Dead Poet's Society", and he is probably ISTJ.

The MBTI was seen as positive feedback. Here was something which described me as different, but not pathological. It was a puzzle piece which helped me to love myself.

2. What's the most difficult thing you need to overcome upon learning more about typology?

This is difficult to answer. After much searching and reading and starting threads, I came to believe I'm really INFP with strong "T."

Personal note:

Edit:
    Of course, during this the MBTI helped me to understand, and re-affirm myself.

I found these forums when I was having a very difficult time in 2008 with a roommate very different than me, which threatened my job and housing. So I sought help via typology discussion. These forums have helped me to get through some tough spots.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I've only really studied it the past 3 years or so. I first encountered it some 10 years ago, but I did not go beyond taking a test for fun until 3 years ago. I think it really caught my interest when I first began testing as an INFx on occasion. Previously, I tested as INTP always, and it never resonated with me, so I brushed the system off.

My interest started slow, then the obsession took hold of me & I began to devour as much as I could get my hands on (as is often the case with my "interests", which I go through phases with).

This knowledge has changed me by further helping me realize that people think differently. I have always known that in a way, but knowing HOW & WHY has been useful. It highlights a lot about my dynamic with others & their dynamics with each other & so one & so forth.

More than being useful in a practical sense, it has simply been a tool to understand people as a whole better (as opposed to real life individuals). It has also helped me re-frame my own identity. Acknowledging myself as a "feeling" type has allowed me to be comfortable with certain aspects of myself; I think this process was happening naturally, but it allowed me to clarify what it even was. Mainly, that's what MBTI has done - allowed me to clarify & articulate these aspects of people & myself that I had a sense of before but no language to describe it with.

The most difficult thing I need to overcome is probably personal bias, and whatever limits my own intelligence gives me.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I was best friends with a grad student in psychology and he tested me in about 1978. I can't think of anything I've had to overcome regarding it. It's opened my eyes in many ways and I've always seen it as a useful tool.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I can't think of anything I've had to overcome regarding it. It's opened my eyes in many ways and I've always seen it as a useful tool.

I guess this is why have trouble answering this one. I can think of lots of problems I overcame since taking it, where it either re-affirmed myself or assisted in understanding, but it's difficult think of a problem it created.

I guess this may qualify. Nobody in my family will take even a short questionnaire. I think, maybe, they are S-types. They iron their bedsheets and pillow cases, for example. To put it mildly, my father tends to think all of psychology is a waste of time.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I think I took "overcome" to mean something different. I thought it meant "what do you need to overcome to understand the theory more accurately". I didn't take it to mean "what problematic views has it caused you to develop that you need to overcome" nor "how has it helped you to identify personal problems you need to overcome".
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Ah, I sort of answered that way too. I guess I read lots of personal descriptions both on forums and in books like "life types." I kept trying to ask if I'm F or T, and I may still be a "hybrid", but I had to read personal stories and more deeply reflect upon whether I was F or T. Eventually I realized that receiving approval and praise was a greater motivator than being interested knowledge for knowledge sake. I am WAY more influenced by personal anecdotes than data.

MBTI
    INTJ

I am not actually a real NF but I my Fi is such strong that I can relate to INFPs and there is a strong idealist in me.

I've been studying the MBTI and the Jungian cognitive functions for two years now.

It has really opened a new world in front of me. First of all, it gave me a theoretical (and, for me, thus reasonable) explanation for why I have felt myself so different from others for all my life. Second, it has also given me a whole new perspective to how other people think and "work". For me, understanding the MBTI is a way to grasp how profoundly different people can be and to still understand also the people who are not like me.
    INTJ, HSP, 1w9 or tritype 154, sx/sp

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Crescent Fresh View Post

I have been fascinated with personality theory (along with some other choice things that are along similar lines) since childhood. I think I took my first MBTI test maybe at 11 or 12 years old. (The result was enfp I think, it may have been infp.) I'm 26 now. I don't learn intensely as much as just pick it up here and there. It helps me understand almost everyone around me, even if it's not type related stuff, some personality theory combined with other things helps you to just understand human nature in general. It must have changed my perspective on things, since I started so young. Multiple other uses but I won't list them on and on.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.