First 12

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Crescent Fresh View Post
    I'm just curious as I'm fairly new to this.

And here are the two questions:

1. How has attaining this knowledge changed you?

2. What's the most difficult thing you need to overcome upon learning more about typology?
    I've been reading/studying mbti and other personality theories for about 4 years now. Not fervently though. I use it more as a fun thing to do with characters in stories, so its more of a recreational studying.

1) Its allowed me to be more accepting of myself and others for the odd little quirks that we exhibit. As a result, I've calmed down more when I deal with other people, since I could put a clearer reasoning for why people think differently than me. This also goes hand in hand with just naturally maturing, but I feel that reading about personality helped expedite the process.

2) I think the biggest challenge is understanding the fluidity of the traits that the types represent. What typically determines someone type is the prevalence of traits when viewed against other people and the traits they exhibit. Its culturally derived, in other words, so there really is no clear base line for behavior.
    Everything that I express is simply an opinion with varying levels of support

If I seem like a different type to you, I hereby give you permission to type me however you want.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

2. What's the most difficult thing you need to overcome upon learning more about typology?
    I've been learning/ studying MBTI since 2006.

1. Attaining this knowledge has been quite useful in understanding others better as well as understanding myself. Knowing how people think differently helps me to understand how to accommodate them better, as well as figuring out how they can work better with other people. It's also given me deeper insight to how I think, my value system, and I must admit, it has put me more at ease with myself. Knowing my blind spots as well as my strengths helps me to figure out areas of growth and improvement.

2. The most difficult thing I needed to overcome upon learning more about typology was actually figuring out just what my personality type really was. I flipped back and forth between INFJ and INTJ, and after taking several tests, I scored INTJ more times than I did INFJ. As analytical and logical as I am, whenever I'd notice someone I cared about being mistreated, or if my ideas were discredited before giving them a chance, I'd end up responding to such things based upon my values. So I thought that I was more likely an INFJ rather than INTJ. It's still a challenge to this day, even. I make decisions based on both Fe based objectives as well as Te and Ti based objectives. It tends to end up resulting in an inner battle between which side is going to win.. values or logic. Figuring my true self seems to be quite a puzzle in itself, and I still haven't explored all of it yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Glycerine

1. 3 years ago.
    2. Not to take the MBTI Nazis who oversimplify the system to fit their own goals and biases too seriously and not to take it too seriously in general.

1. Since I was 14 (now I'm 19).
    2. Stop putting types into stereotypes (I see it happens a lot with people who just started learning about this).

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I read Psychological Types in high school, but didn't enjoy it as much as other Jung stuff.

I discovered MBTI a few years ago, but since that time, I've learned a lot more about psychology and other related studies, and now feel that typology is pretty weak. People are constantly trying to relate things like procrastination or shyness to type, and I really think those are unrelated to type; they are related to experiences in life and especially childhood, and typology is unable to address them. It's interesting in some ways, but it tells me nearly nothing of real importance about an individual. For instance ISFP is supposed to the ' the artist' type, but I know a lot of artists, and they are all different in temperament, style, intelligence, drive, etc... I see more dissimilarity than similarity.
    I just think that typology errs by fallling on the side of static nature, and leaving out the fluid and dynamic effects of experience and nurture.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

1. Depends on what you mean. I don't like putting a price on knowledge; it's important/interesting to understand things for their own sake. My INTJ 5w6 father has taught me that much.

2. Not much really, I do well with theories. Understanding Ni probably took me the longest. All the different aspects of this function seemed separate and only loosely related. Right now I think of Ni as a conclusive function, trying to find a single conclusion from many different clues. I think it's a decent definition so far.
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I've been learning/studying MBTI around ... hmmmm... about six or seven years now.

No, but it has certainly helped for me to understand myself better and to accept myself (the personality) when I understood how/what I am. But MBTI doesn't tell everything, that has to be remembered.

I had the most difficult time to accept my strong Fi...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I've read about it for about 15-20 years. I don't spend a lot of time learning new things now. It has helped me tremendously to understand other people and why they are different, and to also help me get along with other people. I really don't understand the functions well (Fe, Ni, etc.), but I haven't found that I need to.

My main frustration with MBTI is that I really love to talk about it and I can't really find other people that are interested. A lot of people are kind of freaked out by it, like I am going to use it to read their minds or something. That's why it's nice to get on here.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I'm much more accepting of myself and don't deem many of my quirks and differences as "flaws."

Realizing that, at the end of the day, it's just a theory trying to tackle the complexity of humans. Putting too much stock into the system--especially for those who don't seem to "fit" -- can be destructive and stressful.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I took the test around 2005-2006 (my manager at work asked us to do so) and got interested in INFJ-ness then. I think it was in 2008 that I started looking into other types and the system generally.

I also think I may have taken a test when much younger but it wouldn't have meant much to me then.

It's certainly altered my perspective in the last few years about my own personality, why there can sometimes seem to be such a disconnect with other people, and how to work on my human relationships.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING