User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default NFs and Interviews

Ok, so I had an interview for a large scholarship this morning. There were 10 people all asking me questions about myself and my future plans for college. As always, after I left I felt like I did a horrible job selling myself to these people. I went and ate breakfast with a few of my other friends and discussed interviews; 4 were NFs (2x ENFPs, ENFJ, and INFP), 1 ESTP, and 1 ISFJ.

Basically all of us NFs agreed that we suck at interviewing because it is so impersonal, not to mention they always ask the dreaded question: "Is there anything else you would like to add or let us know about you?" How the hell are you supposed to answer that? "I like long walks on the beach."

On the other hand, the SJ and SP were responding to all of our complaints with brilliant answers of what they would have said which just blew me away. They were promoting themselves like no one's business. I was struck with awe.

So, I was just wondering if any other NFs out there that consider interviews a weakness? (I also consider myself very introverted so that is most likely working against me too.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

I consider the interview process for anything - jobs, scholarships, dates - to be designed to reward Extraverts, Sensors and Judgers. People who feel more comfortable on the hot seat, are succinct and linear, and can stick to the facts. I personally view the whole way jobs are gotten - by marketing and sales techniques - to not necessarily get the employer the true best candidate for the job, but the person who can package themselves as the best candidate for the job. But I don't have any bright ideas for an alternate system. The only thing I've thought of is to, instead of waiting to be called for an interview for a specific posted job and take my chances, target those employers I want to work for, request an information interview, or send them a proposal offering my services and also offering to work unpaid for a month so that the can see for themselves how I'd be and then decide at the end of the month if they want to keep me. I haven't worked up the nerve to try it though. Employers are pretty stuck on the old method.
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I really blow at interviews, but preperation is key for people like us. There is a lot of literature out there that give you sample questions, which fall into a few basic categories. Even if you're not looking for a job yet, I would get the book "College Grad Job Hunter." It has chapters devoted to different types of interviews.

That said, I'm real shitty at phone interviews. I find it extremely difficult to articulate thoughts under pressure and am naturally self-critical.
    "For a man who wants to make a profession of good in all regards must come to ruin among so many who are not good. Hence it is necessary to a prince, if he wants to maintain himself, to learn to be able not to be good, and to use this and not use it according to necessity."
    Niccolo Machiavelli

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I never liked interviews... I get far too nervous... nor am I the type to sell myself. You know how they say for interviews how you're suppose to "be yourself" and act naturally. It doesn't work for me. I agree with ballen there, I need prep time. Then afterwards, distract myself with other stuff until it's time to go in. Otherwise I just ended up acting silly.

MBTI
    INFJ

I've had very few interviews, having been offered good jobs several times by people who already knew me and valued my experience and skills. One exception was when I first changed fields and interviewed for a job in the rare book field. I didn't read any books about interviewing, but when I was asked the question "Why do you want to work for us?" I came up with the answer "Working in the Rare Book Room wouldn't just be a job, it would be a profession." My boss loved that answer. It wasn't just BS, as I was trying to start a career in that field, but I was amazed by his reaction. It made me feel that even if it weren't true, just saying those words would have gotten me the job.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

Enneagram
    1w2

I've gotten nearly every job that I've ever interviewed for and I think I'm pretty good at it. This doesn't mean I don't get nervous or anything, it's just that I feel confident in my interview skills enough to tamp down my nervousness.

PROFESSIONALLY: The more interviews you go on the more comfortable you feel with the process. Use the interviews that didn't go as well as you hoped as practice and learn from them. Being prepared is the best way to alleviate nervousness. When I started hunting for jobs and knew I had to start interviewing, I got several books about it. I familiarized myself with the type of questions interviewers would ask and had canned responses for some of the common ones. I also did some research about the position I was going for and the company itself. The more knowledge you have before going in the more you feel like you can handle any questions they throw out at you. Some interviewers go by how much they like you and how well you vibe with them not how experienced you are, which isn't a bad idea considering you'll be spending 40/week with them. I'd rather work with someone I can get along with and train them for the job then have a perfectly competent jerk coworker. And take their lack of interview skills as a sign. Most supervisors aren't properly trained in managing people and have poor interview skills themselves and are just as nervous as you are. It pretty cool when you can chill your interviewer out!

PERSONALLY: For my previous position I started talking to my interviewer about planes because he had pictures of them all over his office. We barely talked about my actual job besides the basics (which is a sign of their managerial style; if they're loose and unstructured vs. all business). My current boss did the same thing, she had Chinese and African artwork all over her office and chatted about. Look for little knick knacks and things (comics, stamps, award plaques, pictures, etc.) they have in the office and use them as conversation pieces. It puts you and the interviewer on the same level. It demonstrates to the interviewer that you're open and at ease (even if you're not really). Also you can turn the table by interviewing your interviewer and throwing some questions at them to make yourself feel more comfortable and confident.

Also have a couple of stories on backlog that show your positive and negative skills and abilities, because it's almost guaranteed you'll get an interview question asking for your best and your worse. Basically, just be prepared...it makes the interview process so much less nerve racking.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

It's one of those things that I know I'm not good at, yet will have no choice about doing. The only interview I ever recall not hating was one with an (I think ENTJ), who instead of asking me questions, spent the whole inverview telling/teaching me about the world of business.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I love interviews, I believe that they have been the sole reason why I've gotten *all* of my past jobs.

Interviews are fun!!! Crap, is that weird that I think that?
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Only if it's weird that I love written tests. If there was test-taking career, I'd be all over it.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Only if it's weird that I love written tests. If there was test-taking career, I'd be all over it.
    Lol, I love taking written tests as well, they're fun!!! ^__^
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles