User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Only if it's weird that I love written tests. If there was test-taking career, I'd be all over it.
    If it was last semester, I would have sent you $30 to do my math test after seeing this... oh well

MBTI
    GONE

ENFX's should in theory excel at interviews. I'm with Protean and CaptainChick on this. I enjoy them and I'm pretty good at them. My friends even say this in a slightly deragotory way, as if I'm a consummate used car salesmen. Your empathy should help tons. SJ's know what people want because :duh: it's obvious right? A, B, C, 1, 2, 3-- whatever detailed job description asks for is what they'll deliver. As an NF you also have to ability to "know what they want" but in the more insidious empathic "feeler" way of seeing what's not explicit and spelled out. You can use your empathy to figure out what the interviewer want to hear and how they want to hear it and see what kind of person they actually want to hire. And use your people skills to make people feel at ease. If you're comfortable (or pretend very well) it'll make others comfortable and more at ease with the idea of working with you.

So here are some pointers. Interviews are strategic as well as interpersonal. Do your homework, be confident, and use your interpersonal skills and personal strengths -- like good manners?

Doing mock interviews helps. Know the 5 general questions any boss is gonna ask you like "Name a time you failed," "What's your biggest weakness", "Why do you want to work in this field", 'What do you enjoy most about this work?" "What do you like least?" "What accomplishment are you most proud of?" Etc. etc. etc.

Practice till you know the answers cold and it seems natural and add details for each different job so it sounds tailored and spontaneous. Pretend to be confident and be courteous. Use people's names. Look people in the eye. Be nice to the receptionist. Memorize a few facts about the company you're gonna work for and work them into your spiel and cite reasons you're excited to work specifically for this company. Etc.

Good luck!
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ

Well, I did do my homework and I definitely submitted and essay I knew they would buy into (which made me a finalist). However, I'm just so much better at selling myself through writing than speaking. It's almost impossible for me to make a good first impression because I am such a reserved person. Someone I work with told me that the first 5 days of training she didn't really think much of me, but now she thinks I'm probably the coolest person she knows, and she doesn't hesitate to yell "TRAVIS! YOU'RE AWESOME!" every time I pass her walking to class (you might have guessed that she is an ENFJ, lol). I just know that if I try too hard to be that person everyone likes, I easily come off as fake.

I had a lot of items on my application that they were really impressed with, but with a scholarship I bet it might just come down to whose personality they liked the most; which would most likely not be me if I'm competing against extraverts. All 10 interviewers were Alumni, so when they asked me what my favorite class was (I told them Metaphysics since I knew they would like that answer better than Inferential Statistics) a couple of the younger alumni had a small conversation with me about how great a teacher the guy is, etc. I even was asked by an older alumni to explain what metaphysics was, which I was able to explain pretty eloquently. I had some good moments, I just don't really feel like overall I sold myself like I should have. I'm the kind of person that "walks the walk" but doesn't care to "talk the talk"; actions speak louder than words to me. But this always inevitably bites me in the ass when I am required to "talk the talk" in situations likes these.

I'll definitely go ahead and look into some books on interviewing. Reading about something is how I learn best.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    ENFP

I always took interview as a theater role to play, you just have to fit into their expectations. So you have to think over their expectations first and then play the role of the person who corresponds to it. It's easy and it's fun! It's just like an acting show. I even got hired in a bank for a commercial job, whereas i suck at commercial competences. Just faked them during the interview. This said, this is not very good because i hated the job i got! Now, I wouldn't redo this. But to this time, I just wanted to prove myself my great acting competences..

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    I love interviews, I believe that they have been the sole reason why I've gotten *all* of my past jobs.

Interviews are fun!!! Crap, is that weird that I think that?
    Hey see, i think the same. It might just be an ENFP thing!

MBTI
    ENFP

I actually like interviews because to me they feel more personal, in comparison to a resume drop or e-mail, etc., not less personal. I am pretty good at getting people to feel like they know me well and are comfortable with me in a short amount of time, and that helps a lot I think.
    The part I used to suck at was selling myself...I don't really like people who come across as thinking they are awesome, so I tend to undersell myself...it took me a while to be able to convince myself that telling people I am awesome for a half-hour isn't just okay, but is expected and is needed to get the job a lot of the time. Since I tend to undersell myself, if I feel like I am overselling myself, it ends up being the right amount.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    I love interviews, I believe that they have been the sole reason why I've gotten *all* of my past jobs.

Interviews are fun!!! Crap, is that weird that I think that?
    you're not alone
    i find its like a game
    a very intense and fun game
    mouth karate, if you will
    heehee, i made a funny
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

People ENJOY interviews?!?!?! Outrageous! (Okay, maybe I envy those who enjoy them.)

I hate them. I feel I never do a good job at them or anything else involving me "selling" myself. Everytime I hear someone say "Just sell yourself," I'm completely boggled as to how that's actually done and seriously unnerved at the thought of turning myself into a product. That said, I end up doing an okay job at such things. I just do not enjoy being interrogated or having my every word carefully weighed and feeling as though any screw up would put my head on the chopping block. Also...when people say "You just have to put yourself out there" I really want to slap them. I have NO idea what that precisely means, and since I'm usually expected to do what they're asking, I have no idea what to do and that upsets me.

It also doesn't help that deep down I really don't want to do any of those things.

Well, that's been bothering me for a while.

/rant

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    People ENJOY interviews?!?!?! Outrageous! (Okay, maybe I envy those who enjoy them.)

I hate them. I feel I never do a good job at them or anything else involving me "selling" myself. Everytime I hear someone say "Just sell yourself," I'm completely boggled as to how that's actually done and seriously unnerved at the thought of turning myself into a product. That said, I end up doing an okay job at such things. I just do not enjoy being interrogated or having my every word carefully weighed and feeling as though any screw up would put my head on the chopping block. Also...when people say "You just have to put yourself out there" I really want to slap them. I have NO idea what that precisely means, and since I'm usually expected to do what they're asking, I have no idea what to do and that upsets me.

It also doesn't help that deep down I really don't want to do any of those things.

Well, that's been bothering me for a while.

/rant
    I think we are on the same page!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    GONE

I guess this is not so much NF then than EP-IJ differences highlighted? My ISTJ friend does well in interviews and she gets a lot of added responsibility/respect at work. But I think it's also the line of work (paralegal, administrative etc.) and kinds of places (governmental, legal, academic) that syncs up with her interview style and strengths.

I think in general for interviews from the responses to far:

EP helps - you're extroverted and you're good on the post. I have to say, I honestly feel 'in my element' in interview situations. I'm also attracted to theater sports/improv sketch comedy, I like having to rise to the occassion. *Edit* You enjoy putting on a show, don't mind being center of attention, and even enjoy 'selling yourself'.

I(NF)J - Just feel nervous and out of your element? *Edit* You feel fake when you feel someone is imposing the need to 'sell yourself'. You feel 'selling yourself' has unseemly overtones and is...undignified?
    Last edited by CzeCze; 04-11-2008 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Updated in response to Nightnight's post
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari