User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Seeing through people

First if all, I could have as well written this on the NT area but I ended up putting it here now that I am an NT myself and thus might learn more from the NF point of view. And now to the point...

It's said that both INTJs and INFJs have this "ability" to see through people and that this ability of them may even disturb people around them.

I, as an INtX, do recognize this tendency in me to some extent. What I am wondering about is the effect of an INxJ's location on the F-T axis on this ability.

How do strong feelers and strong thinkers differ considering their ability to see through people? What do they actually see and how exactly does that result from their use of cognitive functions?
    Last edited by gandalf; 09-26-2011 at 09:25 AM. Reason: A small typo :)

It depresses me. Especially times I've foolishly put my overt faith in someone not to backfire and they've gone and done it leaving me to be like 'fuckin hell, you have potential but you're weak and untrustworthy'. Little do some people know their bad judgement is the reason their life sucks so much. Beaten dogs are more likely to refuse a friendly touch. Do I want to help this person or watch them burn and learn? Tough.

It's just something I've learnt to deal with. People, are going to be people and there's nothing I can do but stick to those that 'Get It'.
    Veni, Vidi, Cessi.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I can see people most clearly when they've let me down badly/shown their true colours and I've gradually passed from dislike through to indifference.

It's not very pleasant though, because I also end up having to question why I was so attached to them when my vision of them was less clear, and what that says about me.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Diving into Ni-space Crescent Fresh's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think Ni-Ti helps in a way because INFJ is quite good at picking up non-verbal cues.

Also, it seems to me that INFJ tend to have a photographic memory that they can easily recall on any tiny event from the past and combined with these two innate skills, along with their constant introspection, it's quite easy to see all the motives behind-the-scenes from people with a hidden-agenda.

Though I can't speak for all INFJs, I tend to give people a chance even when I have an ability to see-through something that I didn't like. All these data will accumulate over time and usually it's due to a direct conflict--then things will start to fell apart when we go back to our memory lane to pick up all these cues.

What I think is that, the reason why most INFJs tend to put people into boxes (due to our J functions) has nothing to do with "judging" among people into good or bad apples, but rather an indicator for us to decide how much we "can" reveal ourselves to others (the fact that we tend to open up at a variety of different "pace" among people we know). Nevertheless, this has a huge part to play with our ability of seeing-through people.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Crescent Fresh View Post
    Though I can't speak for all INFJs, I tend to give people a chance even when I have an ability to see-through something that I didn't like. All these data will accumulate over time and usually it's due to a direct conflict--then things will start to fell apart when we go back to our memory lane to pick up all these cues.
    YES. This. This very much applies for me.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Crescent Fresh View Post
    Also, it seems to me that INFJ tend to have a photographic memory that they can easily recall on any tiny event from the past and combined with these two innate skills, along with their constant introspection, it's quite easy to see all the motives behind-the-scenes from people with a hidden-agenda.
    ^This.
    Plus there's something in me that notices the glitch, even a slight one, a little hiccup, stutter-step, it will keep coming back to me. The hole in the story, the note that's off-key. It's like nobody else sees it, but I see it. I don't point it out right away (if I can even verbalize it) because I've learned that nobody else sees it as soon as I do (usually), so I mentally bookmark it and I wait for the rest of the puzzle to fall into place. Eventually the picture starts coming into focus. Over years of people watching and people knowing, when I start to see two or three of those same bookmarks, I start to feel comfortable enough to operate on assumptions. This makes it look like I have some prescience, but it isn't that, it's just pattern recognition.

I'm high on the F, don't remember the number, but it's always been high. INF stays high for me -- sometimes the J falters a little, but it's always J, if even one toe over the line.

MBTI
    INTJ

So far, I am getting the impression that for F doms, it's about reading peoples' behavior and manners, where as for T doms, it's more about the consistency of the peoples' talks. I mean, as a T dom, I never judge people by their looks (behavior, manners etc.) but I very easily catch any logical oddities in what they say or write and that gives me a clue of their hidden thoughts.

The first comments from uncommonentity and SilkRoad were enlightening. I have never thought of reading people in that way but your thoughts seem to be ways of experiencing it as well. What I meant when I was writing the question was the kind of reading that happens in realtime. I mean, some one says something meaning something else, either intentionally or unintentionally, and you respond according to the hidden message, making the person feel awkward.
    INTJ, HSP, 1w9 or tritype 154, sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
    It's said that both INTJs and INFJs have this "ability" to see through people and that this ability of them may even disturb people around them.

How do strong feelers and strong thinkers differ considering their ability to see through people? What do they actually see and how exactly does that result from their use of cognitive functions?
    I know I do this. I'm much better at it in person though and I'm much better at it than when I was younger, when I think I may have been far more oblivious. A lot of it has to do with combining all different things and forming an impression - what they say, how they say it, tone of voice, body language, the look in their eyes, little minor reactions. I tend to get these perceptions and impressions about how a person might be feeling, their integrity, values, whether they are telling the truth, when things bother them, etc. The impressions and judgements happen very quickly. They do evolve and change over time though. Sometimes the initial impressions are wrong. I guess it is some combination of Ni+Se that is at work. I'm also guessing that the Enneagram 6 might have some role/involvement in the excessive focus on the interpretation of these little clues, particularly negative ones. I can also over-interpret things and over-analyze which is unproductive. I don't necessarily let on to others though what I'm sensing or getting though I might talk to others and ask them what their impression is, sharing mine, if it is important. If I let everyone know what I was perceiving all the time, it would probably share the shit out of them.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Diving into Ni-space Crescent Fresh's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

So far, I am getting the impression that for F doms, it's about reading peoples' behavior and manners, where as for T doms, it's more about the consistency of the peoples' talks. I mean, as a T dom, I never judge people by their looks (behavior, manners etc.) but I very easily catch any logical oddities in what they say or write and that gives me a clue of their hidden thoughts.
    I disagree. I think INFJ (not being an T doms), place an extremely high value on the consistency of the content through our interaction via interpersonal communication.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Well, I think INFJs are extremely conscious of discrepancies between what people say and what they do. At first it may be more of a feeling of disquiet or nervousness, not quite being able to put your finger on it; later it becomes a lot more obvious, perhaps when you're at that "putting the big picture together" stage.

I'm curious as to what you mean by "logical oddities in what they say or write." Are you also talking about some kind of statement/action discrepancy, or do mean more failures in logic?
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING