• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fe] Is Fe selective?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is the nature of judging to be selective. In terms of feeling, that is to select what is good/bad, important/unimportant, etc.

Otherwise...

1. Elaborate on what you mean by "selective". Give some definition or context.
2. You tell us (the non Fe-ers).

Yes, it is. It's patently absurd to think that Fe users will go along with whatever trend they see out there just because that's what's available to them. From what I can see, there's a fair bit of picking and choosing involved in finding your way through the world and deciding how you want to orient yourself in it. If you're smart, that is.

I don't know what kind of selective you mean though, this is just the way I interpreted it.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, I'm not a function or typology expert but I've gotten the impression that people think Fe is nice with/to everyone.

Fe seems quite selective to me, but I could only be seeing that in the introverted ones I observe. Although, I do know several ESFJs who are also selective in who and what they place their favor with. They are thought of as "controlling" though when they do this.

lolwut?

I don't think anyone is expected to be as warm to people they don't like as opposed to people they do like. Nor are they expected to like everyone equally. And placing your favour with everyone you meet would be extraordinarily foolish from the point of view of self-preservation. Yes, all these things includes Fe users. And yes, Fe users are human beings too.

:saturned:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
lolwut?

I don't think anyone is expected to be as warm to people they don't like as opposed to people they do like. Nor are they expected to like everyone equally. And placing your favour with everyone you meet would be extraordinarily foolish from the point of view of self-preservation. Yes, all these things includes Fe users. And yes, Fe users are human beings too.

:saturned:

Thank you. :hug:
You are sweet.

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Giggly is right, I'm not sure about ENTP but with INFJ, our Fe is vey selective indeed.

Fe doesn't necessary has to do with being forcefully "nice" to everyone. When Fe combined with NJ especially, we are very precise of who we want to be nicer while still try to keep being nice for the sake of social harmony.

I think there's too many misconception with Fe lately. I think there are many occasions when and INFJ sense there's a disagreement with our inner-values, we don't necessary fight with them not due to keeping the sake of harmony. In stead, we can intuite the unfavorable outcome with our strong belief that we just gave up on arguing. It's seriously a waste of energy if you know the argument will not going to end productively.

Most people consider that as being fake for not able to stand our values as firmly as Fi'ers, though I think it has to do with our instinct of choosing the right battle to fight for.

In a nutshell, yes, I would say Fe is rather selective than what most people think.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What's wrong with being nice to everyone??

The thing is, the I's at least are very particular to begin with about who they are around, so the need to be fake nice is already taken out of the equation.

But as much as I hate fake anything, I'd rather someone be fake nice than surly and belligerent ... is this wrong?

Are you talking about putting feelings before principles?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What's wrong with being nice to everyone??

The thing is, the I's at least are very particular to begin with about who they are around, so the need to be fake nice is already taken out of the equation.

But as much as I hate fake anything, I'd rather someone be fake nice than surly and belligerent ... is this wrong?

Are you talking about putting feelings before principles?

No, it's not wrong at all imo because I also value harmony, although, I would prefer to just avoid someone I dislike and say nothing than be fake around them.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would, too, no question.