• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs and darkness

Razvan

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9v8
There are so many things in life that attract me, even darkness. It's a love and hate relationship. I hate darkness as it's mostly related to evil, bad things yet it makes me feel, so I love that effect on me, it wakes me up from numbness. I've always tried to suppress anything "dark" in me, trying to be good, not sure if it's the right thing to do, because every time I did something...let's say "darker", I learned a valuable lesson from it. So I'm trying to learn how NFs process these things.

Here's an example to get what I'm saying better, this song is really dark (visuals, lyrics, etc), yet I can really enjoy it and the sensation it makes me feel :

Heaven ablaze in our eyes
We're standing still in time
The blood on our hands is the wine
We offer as sacrifice

[Chorus]
Come on, and show them your love
Rip out the wings of a butterfly
For your soul, my love
For your soul

This endless mercy mile
We're crawling side by side
With hell freezing over in our eyes
Gods kneel before our crime

[Chorus]
Come on lets show, them your love
For your soul, my love
For your soul
(Rip out the wings of a butterfly)
Don't let go
For your soul

[Chorus]
Come on, and show them your love
For your soul, my love
For your soul
Don't let go
(Rip out the wings of a butterfly) [x2]

For your soul

So, any thoughts? :)

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Darkness has to be appealing to people, otherwise there would be no hate or meanness. But it's a deceiving appeal, because in the end it leads to hurt and not healing.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I think some feelers are attracted to darkness because it helps them understand human motivation.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are so many things in life that attract me, even darkness. It's a love and hate relationship. I hate darkness as it's mostly related to evil, bad things yet it makes me feel, so I love that effect on me, it wakes me up from numbness. I've always tried to suppress anything "dark" in me, trying to be good, not sure if it's the right thing to do, because every time I did something...let's say "darker", I learned a valuable lesson from it. So I'm trying to learn how NFs process these things
This is the problem: you are equating darkness with evil, as many unfortunately do, when that connection lies only in (some of) our minds. Darkness is no more evil than light, and light no more good than darkness. We need both, in balance, just as night balances day. The contrast between the two gives meaning, just like these dark words on the light screen. If you feel drawn toward the dark, and appreciate its beauty and rest in its comfort, you ahead of those who unquestioningly fear it, and are thereby missing out.

gandalf

MBTI Type
INTJ
I hadn't thought of it in this sense before so this is but a flash of intuition after a few seconds of thinking...

For me, darkness represents things like hiding and time to myself. Those things can be used equally for good and evil and it's up to oneself what to do.

Few things recharge me and clarify my thoughts as a walk or a run with no-one else in sight in a park in dark does.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This kind of reminds me of a movie I saw once where everyone was running in a light building from darkness. There was darkness chasing them and they were running and screaming and I was giggling loudly in the theater. I guess there were creatures in the darkness, but I figured they could just find an exit from the building or tolerated the darkness for a minute.

Nice metaphor there, but personally, I'm not attracted to melancholy moods, thoughts, or pursuits, but if they hit me, I just let them happen. I am going to run quickly out of this thread to get away from the HIM song though.:run:

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not attracted to darkness of the evil variety, more of darkness of the emotional variety. Things like sadness, disillusionment, isolation, existential crises, death and the afterlife. Not that I'm a sad emo person or anything, just it's a part of the human condition and it seems to come easily to me when I write.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfSKoocUfqw"]:cry:[/YOUTUBE]

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I assumed it was darkness as in night time when i read the title.
I don't like pitch black dark, it terrifies me, i can't get my bearings.
The other darkness is pretty ok depending on mood, i'm not sure i'd say i like it.
Maybe I appreciate and understand it (somewhat).
It's pretty vast though just saying darkness

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't associate darkness with evil necessarily. Darkness can lead to evil with the right person and circumstances, but it is generally no more evil than a slice of bread. I see darkness as nothing more than the mirror of the positive. It is simply the negative. The space between spaces.

Anyway, I don't fight it or shun it. I embrace the darkness within myself. :)

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find darkness interesting in a sort of metaphorical/artistic way. Dark and light, chiaroscuro, etc. And I live in London, and to me it's a very dark/light city (both physically, and in terms of its vibe/aura - and its history reflects this) and it resonates with me on some almost unconscious level.

At the same time, I mainly keep it in that metaphoric/artistic space, and I'm not as drawn to it as I was when younger. For instance, I prefer somewhat more upbeat music now (although my absolute favourite kind of music usually has a darkness/minor key to it, but also rocks out :laugh: ).

I think it can be more of an enneagram 4 thing - which I'm not, though I identify with some of the preoccupations.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For me darkness is inevitable and also something to get past. I get moods, and to an extent I enjoy the feeling of them, but I don't seek or court them. I don't wallow either, I process. I see things like black humour and moody songs as a tool to contain and process bad things.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For me darkness is inevitable and also something to get past. I get moods, and to an extent I enjoy the feeling of them, but I don't seek or court them. I don't wallow either, I process. I see things like black humour and moody songs as a tool to contain and process bad things.

I agree with a lot of this. I'm actually a bit afraid of that dark place I go to in my head sometimes, because if I go too far in, it can take me a long, somewhat dangerous time to get out. I try not to wallow either, but I can slide deep into it and have great difficulty climbing out. So anything that can help me to not go there, or to escape sooner, is great.

Wanderer

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
In the literal sense, I've never feared the darkness. As a child I had healthy respect for the coyotes and timberwolves in my area, so I didn't go out at night - but the darkness itself was always kind of attractive to me. As an adult, I've taken up night running through a local battlefield park's forest trails, and I love it.

In the metaphorical sense.. darkness does not equal evil -necessarily, anyway. If you have darker impulses, you have to channel them into appropriate outlets. It is only when we allow our darker impulses to control us [to change the way we think, the way we interact with others] and to harm those around us that they become evil.

"Without the darkness how would we recognize the light? ... Do not fear your negative thoughts. They are part of you. They are a part of every living being. To pretend that darkness does not exist is to create an opportunity for it to escape."

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'd have to distinguish the spectrum of "darkness" for understanding. I LOVE dark things that are really just part of the human condition, but demonized by the majority. Revealing unacceptable or ugly emotions and thoughts.. things like shame, envy, depression, doubt, fear, confusion, and anger. THis is why I especially enjoy darker flicks like Worlds Greatest Dad, Rules of Attraction, Salton Sea, Requiem for a Dream, Garden State, I <3 Huckabees, Igby Goes Down, Precious, and on. I enjoy darkness that is authentic, raw, and at times, vulnerable.

It's never a really a dark/light issue though, it's always about truth (for me.) The truer it is, the more valueable it becomes. THe more beautiful it appears. If you isolate an act and call it dark, you completely lose whats real, and by real I mean nothing just is.. if you wan't to see it and understand it then you have to look at all that it was, all that it is, all that it will likely be, and all that it affects. When you begin to see these connections it becomes apparent that everything is extremely interwoven.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3NBymYSEPo"].[/YOUTUBE]

With that in mind, I admit that I still struggle with "dark" acts, mostly the objectification of sentient life, violent and meaningless acts (or meaning I can't comprehend) .. but even at these times I know, instinctually, that it's just my particular vantage point.