• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fe] Fe - EVERYTHING IS RUDE

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I paid for my own wedding, too. Which meant I had about 20 guests, it was a morning wedding, and there was cake and punch after. I don't really understand wedding hoopla -- it seems like a bad custom in some ways, so much stress, so much expenditure. But people are horrified when I suggest eloping, or getting married by a JP and going out to dinner after, so ... :shrug:

If it's a traditional wedding, I guess your mother wants it to be traditional. Maybe you could get away from that if you frame it as a Do Your Own Thing wedding. Traditional with twists might be confusing her.

nice...yeah...just offer a champagne punch or something and when it runs out it runs out. people need to chill.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Tell your mom that unless she wants to pay for the open bar, she can go take a long walk off a short pier.

H

Hate

I can't take it anymore. I can't win. Ever. I can't defend anyone else's point of views if it is different than the Fe-user's POV. This is ridiculous and it is rude on their part to pass judgement on EVERYONE ELSE and their opinions.

One person does an act of kindness
"WELL, IF THEY WANTED TO DO A NICE GUESTURE, THEY SHOULD HAVE DOES TTTHHHISSSS INSTEAD OF THAT. THAT IS JUST CHEAP AND DEMEANING"

Honestly, what is going on in their heads? Do they think that they are better and more classy than everyone? Do they have this competitiveness going on and they just want to beat out everyone? What is it??

I'm planning an wedding (I'm an ENFP marrying and ISTJ) and my future in laws are ISxJ and ISTJ.

The ISTJs are very conservative and if they do anything that reflects their Christian-conservative outlook, my ESFJ mother calls it rude/unclassy/cheap.

Example: They don't drink alcohol so they'd prefer there to be a cash bar to help monitor that amount of drunk people / why would they pay hundreds of dollars for an open bar that a majority of their guests won't touch?

It makes sense to me, but explaining a different outlook to my ESFJ mom is ridiculous. How can I make her understand that not everyone is like her. Not everyone drinks or celebrates the same way she does.

** And there is more frustrations when I try and voice my opinion about anything that has to do with my ideas for my own wedding... she doesn't agree with anything I say, anything that is different than what she's seen 30 years ago is viewed as TACKY.

I could go on and on. I am sorry if I am being rude but I am at my wit's end with her Fe. I need to understand it. Someone help me find a way to talk to her and get her to see someone else's point of view

Awww, poor baby, did she ruin your sweet 16 party too?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90HhZ-pyC2Y"]\/[/YOUTUBE]

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
It's the grooms family and not the bride's mother who would be responsible for bar, though! I can't really see how that video has anything to do with the tone of the OP.

She's not complaining about the tyranny of her mum forcing stuff she doesn't want on her, but rather is embarrassed that her mother is telling everyone who will listen how cheap the groom's family is because they don't want an open bar. It appears to me that her concern is treating her future inlaws respectfully, particular when the whole open bar issue is not centred around money, but about differing views on alcohol.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i like to think of myself as a pretty considerate person but i'm beginning to think i define it much differently than a fe user would. i think it's rude to expect people to walk on eggshells around you and take responsibility for your emotions. they think it's rude not to...or something....it bugs me.

Oh, I can hurt my S.O.'s feelings, and in so many words, he asks me to stop. And he's an entj 8w9 lol...... He tells me I am "mean" and that I hurt his feelings all the time. He doesn't point out exactly when, but at that time, he will tell me I am being "mean". I can tell sometimes that I have hurt his feelings. I think regardless of Fe or Fi, people have their limits, and they get their feelings hurt.
I think as an Fe user, I feel like I go out of my way sometimes not to offend, so when others don't do it, I think it's rude. That doesn't mean that I think they should stop however, because I cross lines too. It might pee me off a wee little bit, so I do it back to them. If I don't do it back to them, I feel as if I've given away too much, so I make sure I do. It's like, "If you can play this game, so can I", because I know that probably what I've said or done DOES affect them in some way. It seems to work over time to help an Fi see what they are doing to others, because they begin to see that feelings really are in-part, the other's responsibility, as well as their own. I'm sure no Fi-user could want anyone they love to tell them what a fatass they are, for instance, lol......and yes, it would more-than-likely, hurt their feelings to do so. Feelings are shared responsibilities, regardless.

----------------------------

As far as the mother described in this thread, I don't see her as simply an Fe-user. She is controlling.... extremely. And anyone who would put up with this, has issues of their own, imho. It's like this woman is buying her daughter's life, choosing everything her wedding is, and manipulating the situation, or at least, trying her damnedest to. I don't know how far she is getting, but it looks like pretty far. The daughter seems to be a manipulated pawn. The mother, while she may be well-meaning, seems to want this wedding to be a vision that's in her head, and not what the daughter wants at all.

I think this whole wedding situation is much less an Fe thing than just a dysfunctional thing. I wouldn't so easily blame this mess on Fe lol...... or attribute their behaviors to their use of Fe. While some F's annoy me as well, it's not because of their use of Fe. It's the way they are choosing to use it. Same with Fi users.....

Last edited:
H

Hate

It's the grooms family and not the bride's mother who would be responsible for bar, though! I can't really see how that video has anything to do with the tone of the OP.

She's not complaining about the tyranny of her mum forcing stuff she doesn't want on her, but rather is embarrassed that her mother is telling everyone who will listen how cheap the groom's family is because they don't want an open bar. It appears to me that her concern is treating her future inlaws respectfully, particular when the whole open bar issue is not centred around money, but about differing views on alcohol.

Would you say that my nonsensical post was me being rude?

G

Ginkgo

You should derange her definition of "rude" by showing her 2 girls one cup and Mr. Hands.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

If you'll excuse me, I'll be over in the corner beating the living fuck out of Audrey.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
Tell her that you value her opinion and are grateful that she wants to help with the planning as much as possible, but that she's already got to have HER wedding, and this is YOURS and that if she keeps pressuring you that you'll elope and she wont be a part of it.

My mum is ESFJ. I have to call her on her emotional BS a lot of the time to get anywhere. That being said, i love her like crazy. She just annoys the hell out of me sometimes.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tell her that you value her opinion and are grateful that she wants to help with the planning as much as possible, but that she's already got to have HER wedding, and this is YOURS and that if she keeps pressuring you that you'll elope and she wont be a part of it.

Good example of using boundaries:

Nijntje created a boundary:
If you keep pressuring me, I will elope.
If you do X, I will do Y, is the basic boundary structure.

Nijntje also displays healthy ideas concerning her stuff / my stuff. She knows that the wedding is hers, and while allowing input is okay, it's ultimately her decision. No manipulation allowed. :)

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4

Lol you are kind of missing the point. I am not a super princessy girl. I don't want or need some elaborate fancy wedding. Though, the ESFJ does. And I care more about the ISTJs getting judged and put in a bad light

To be clear, I am more concerned about these relationships than having my dream wedding. I'm
Not that kind of girl lol. I just want the ESFJ to be able to
Understand that she can't have everything her way when other people's memories and ideas are involved

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4

Yes! Thank you! :)

T

ThatGirl

I apologize in advance if I come off as a judgmental or if I seem like I am using stereotypes... that being said....

I CANNOT TAKE FE!!!!!!!!! (in ESFJs)

I can't take it anymore. I can't win. Ever. I can't defend anyone else's point of views if it is different than the Fe-user's POV. This is ridiculous and it is rude on their part to pass judgement on EVERYONE ELSE and their opinions.

One person does an act of kindness
"WELL, IF THEY WANTED TO DO A NICE GUESTURE, THEY SHOULD HAVE DOES TTTHHHISSSS INSTEAD OF THAT. THAT IS JUST CHEAP AND DEMEANING"

Honestly, what is going on in their heads? Do they think that they are better and more classy than everyone? Do they have this competitiveness going on and they just want to beat out everyone? What is it??

I'm planning an wedding (I'm an ENFP marrying and ISTJ) and my future in laws are ISxJ and ISTJ.

The ISTJs are very conservative and if they do anything that reflects their Christian-conservative outlook, my ESFJ mother calls it rude/unclassy/cheap.

Example: They don't drink alcohol so they'd prefer there to be a cash bar to help monitor that amount of drunk people / why would they pay hundreds of dollars for an open bar that a majority of their guests won't touch?

It makes sense to me, but explaining a different outlook to my ESFJ mom is ridiculous. How can I make her understand that not everyone is like her. Not everyone drinks or celebrates the same way she does.

** And there is more frustrations when I try and voice my opinion about anything that has to do with my ideas for my own wedding... she doesn't agree with anything I say, anything that is different than what she's seen 30 years ago is viewed as TACKY.

I could go on and on. I am sorry if I am being rude but I am at my wit's end with her Fe. I need to understand it. Someone help me find a way to talk to her and get her to see someone else's point of view

I was just saying, literally, how I loathe Fe. As a function, it doesn't even make sense. It is poison, contradicts itself, and shouldn't be allowed to exist.

I know how to solve your dilemma....call off the wedding, or stand your ground against her, either way you're going to need that open bar...

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I don't have a problem with Fe. I in fact like it. Then again, I am a So-primary and was raised in an old-school east Asian Confucian style household, so things like rules, tradition, order, this is the way it's "supposed" to be done - kinda used to it and I can respect it. Doesn't bother me. If I don't like a rule, I just don't follow it and don't make a big fuss about it, I just keep doing my own thing until people who can assert authority over me give up and I tune out the rest of the haterz.

Making a big fuss about it is something that Fi will naturally want to do and that's the worst way to go about it. You will NEVER win over tradition unless you are trying to make a heroic stand and turn the tides of hundreds of years or whatnot of tradition and group-think. That's not what you are trying to do. You are just trying to be an outlier and be different in peace.

Since the crux seems to be your family interpreting your in-laws actions as being cheap and selfish, just really explain to them that it is about views on alcohol and religion, not that they are being cheap.

Also, your family may have legitimate gripes that they are shouldering more of the wedding costs now that your husband's family is refusing to pay for an open bar. I think what might go a long way to 'proving' to your family that 1) the open bar issue was about solid Christian values and not being cheap and 2) your husband's family is willing and able to contribute financially to the wedding - is if your husband's family contributes a similar amount of money (or just the "thought" that counts sort of thing) to another aspect of the wedding. Maybe they can pay for tailoring of the bridesmaids dresses or spring for a limo for your family/wedding party. I dunno, I have no idea how weddings are run and how responsibilities are supposed to be split amongst bridal party and family. But, you get the gist.

If your husband's family is able to do that, I think that will allay any root suspicions and gripes your family has about your husband's family.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was just saying, literally, how I loathe Fe. As a function, it doesn't even make sense. It is poison, contradicts itself, and shouldn't be allowed to exist.

Maybe you should start a crusade to kill all the Fe users. Sounds like a possibility for you.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Maybe you should start a crusade to kill all the Fe users. Sounds like a possibility for you.

For or against the sake of ISTPs and INTPs, would the 1 drop rule apply? :thinking:

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't have a problem with Fe. I in fact like it. Then again, I am a So-primary and was raised in an old-school east Asian Confucian style household, so things like rules, tradition, order, this is the way it's "supposed" to be done - kinda used to it and I can respect it. Doesn't bother me. If I don't like a rule, I just don't follow it and don't make a big fuss about it, I just keep doing my own thing until people who can assert authority over me give up and I tune out the rest of the haterz.

Making a big fuss about it is something that Fi will naturally want to do and that's the worst way to go about it. You will NEVER win over tradition unless you are trying to make a heroic stand and turn the tides of hundreds of years or whatnot of tradition and group-think. That's not what you are trying to do. You are just trying to be an outlier and be different in peace.

Since the crux seems to be your family interpreting your in-laws actions as being cheap and selfish, just really explain to them that it is about views on alcohol and religion, not that they are being cheap.

Also, your family may have legitimate gripes that they are shouldering more of the wedding costs now that your husband's family is refusing to pay for an open bar. I think what might go a long way to 'proving' to your family that 1) the open bar issue was about solid Christian values and not being cheap and 2) your husband's family is willing and able to contribute financially to the wedding - is if your husband's family contributes a similar amount of money (or just the "thought" that counts sort of thing) to another aspect of the wedding. Maybe they can pay for tailoring of the bridesmaids dresses or spring for a limo for your family/wedding party. I dunno, I have no idea how weddings are run and how responsibilities are supposed to be split amongst bridal party and family. But, you get the gist.

If your husband's family is able to do that, I think that will allay any root suspicions and gripes your family has about your husband's family.

This sounds like a good idea to me...