• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Why am I like this?

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I posted in the "inner demons" thread and got thinking about it.

Why is it so hard for me to forgive people who have seriously hurt my feelings? Why do I subsequently want them to get their comeuppance, and resent it if things go well for them?

It's a serious problem for me - it's eaten away at me on more than one occasion in my life. And the thing is, if things do ultimately go badly for them, I start to feel bad about my unpleasant thoughts. Almost like I ill-wished them, though that's not really it.

I think it has something to do with an offended sense of justice; it just seems like the universe is out of whack when people are selfish, I get hurt, and then things go well for them.

It would be better if I could let go a bit more, because for one thing, I really do believe in "you reap what you sow." (Also known as "what goes around comes around", "karma", etc). So if someone really has not behaved well - even if it has a bad effect on me - there will be consequences for them ultimately.

Frankly I am pretty sure that in part, it is also me projecting, or something like that. I mean - I am not just angry with them, but I am angry with myself. For trusting too much, for idealizing too much, for over-investing in people without really seeing their true nature...etc.

I try to tell myself all this, but it's still a problem.

Anyone else?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think it has something to do with an offended sense of justice; it just seems like the universe is out of whack when people are selfish, I get hurt, and then things go well for them.

Anyone else?

Yes, me. Particularily the bolded part.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Agree with [MENTION=10653]SuchIrony[/MENTION]. It's a matter of fairness. I have a lot of trouble with people jumping queues especially when driving. It's not really about being angry because they get 'rewarded' for breaking the rules, it's more that it's being unfair to all those people who are patiently waiting in line.

As for letting go of negative feelings, instead of thinking how you are going to 'punish' the offender, perhaps think of how you can help the offended to balance the scales again?

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
OP: I can't say I empathize, but I do sympathize with you; since this topic intrigues me, I'll just jot down a few words about my own stance on the issue.

I seem have a slightly different mindset from you (and by the way, I don't mean to imply that either of our perspectives are inherently superior/healthier). I genuinely accept that life is unfair, and am fine with my enemies getting along well. Well... to be honest it's more like I couldn't care less. Everyone will face hardships sooner or later... Besides, conflicts are inevitable with relationships. People have and will hurt each other endlessly in their struggles to coexist. As long as there are no ongoing issues that can cause more problems in the future, I prefer to just forget about things that make me upset. It's not that I'm denying my feelings; I forget after I have understood the root of the problem and/or pain. To be fair, detachment is an easy task for me and I tend to move on very fast. Once I move on, I never look back.

Regarding my attitude towards people in general: I expect nothing from most people and thus am seldom disappointed in anyone. The one thing I do expect people to be is selfish. However, I don't blame anyone for their selfishness because I perceive myself to be selfish as well. It's only natural people wish well for themselves IMO. Now, I don't expect people to be selfless, so people who truly are giving and selfless both awe and confuse me at the same time.

You can say I am distrusting and skeptical - sure, there are people I care about very much, but I strongly believe that affection and trust are separate issues. For the most part, I am happy to support myself on my own; I find that a dash of cynicism makes for better mental health. Other people may feel differently, though.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
OP: I can't say I empathize, but I do sympathize with you; since this topic intrigues me, I'll just jot down a few words about my own stance on the issue.

I seem have a slightly different mindset from you (and by the way, I don't mean to imply that either of our perspectives are inherently superior/healthier). I genuinely accept that life is unfair, and am fine with my enemies getting along well. Well... to be honest it's more like I couldn't care less. Everyone will face hardships sooner or later... Besides, conflicts are inevitable with relationships. People have and will hurt each other endlessly in their struggles to coexist. As long as there are no ongoing issues that can cause more problems in the future, I prefer to just forget about things that make me upset. It's not that I'm denying my feelings; I forget after I have understood the root of the problem and/or pain. To be fair, detachment is an easy task for me and I tend to move on very fast. Once I move on, I never look back.

Regarding my attitude towards people in general: I expect nothing from most people and thus am seldom disappointed in anyone. The one thing I do expect people to be is selfish. However, I don't blame anyone for their selfishness because I perceive myself to be selfish as well. It's only natural people wish well for themselves IMO. Now, I don't expect people to be selfless, so people who truly are giving and selfless both awe and confuse me at the same time.

You can say I am distrusting and skeptical - sure, there are people I care about very much, but I strongly believe that affection and trust are separate issues. For the most part, I am happy to support myself on my own; I find that a dash of cynicism makes for better mental health. Other people may feel differently, though.

I'd like to be more like this, really. However, moving on is extremely difficult for me, which is probably in part an FJ/TP thing. It takes me ages to move on but then I don't look back much...or, well, I still look back a bit, but without much emotion. But it takes forever to get to that stage. Closure is almost a non-existent concept for me, partly because I'm kind of avoidant - that's partly my fault, I guess. But I've found that sometimes when I seek closure it gets me hurt even worse, so I'm very wary now.

It definitely has to do with an offended sense of justice. The quotation from Plato "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle" helps me a little, but it just doesn't get rid of all those feelings of resentment and even wanting a bit of revenge.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd like to be more like this, really. However, moving on is extremely difficult for me, which is probably in part an FJ/TP thing. It takes me ages to move on but then I don't look back much...or, well, I still look back a bit, but without much emotion. But it takes forever to get to that stage. Closure is almost a non-existent concept for me, partly because I'm kind of avoidant - that's partly my fault, I guess. But I've found that sometimes when I seek closure it gets me hurt even worse, so I'm very wary now.

Yeah, it could be more TP in nature.

I relate to Copperfish here: I can be hurt pretty bad by someone's behavior toward me, but I also have a really hard time holding a grudge. It automatically dissipates and I just want to deal with what is happening "in the now" and move on with my life, even if I keep track of people's behavior just so I am not blindsided in the future. And if someone who hurt me changes/wants to make amends, I have a hard time not accepting that if it's sincere. I've had to accept it as just the way I am.

Likewise, while there are some people I do admire and look up to, I've never really been disillusioned once I had a few experiences as a teen that drove the point home... we're all human, we all screw up, including me, and I just don't get that bent about it. Purposeful hypocrisy can get a rise out of me, but it just changes how I interact with someone, it doesn't mean I get absorbed and hold a grudge.

I know it can be harder for FJs, the ones I have talked to. In fact, probably any apologies I am making here ("I tried to hold a grudge and I just can't!") stems from being in a pretty FJ environment and feeling like I'm betraying one of them by not being able to hold the same grudge. I'm loyal to my friends, but I just can't hold a grudge.

It definitely has to do with an offended sense of justice. The quotation from Plato "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle" helps me a little, but it just doesn't get rid of all those feelings of resentment and even wanting a bit of revenge.

As an aside, this is kind of why I always typed King David in the OT as an INFJ... he definitely harbored resentment against those who wronged him or his people or JHWH, and wanted to implement revenge... he couldn't seem to let it go either.

Anyway, it's likely something you do need to just accept about yourself, as part of how you work... it just is what it is... and then figure out how to engage it productively rather than letting it consume you or derail your own life somehow.

Are there any positive ways you can engage the situation, to kind of "distract you" from the negative aspects of it? You know, by investing positively in something related (and thus earmarking that personal energy for something good) rather than finding your energy getting sucked into the negative cycle?

As for letting go of negative feelings, instead of thinking how you are going to 'punish' the offender, perhaps think of how you can help the offended to balance the scales again?

Yeah, that kind of thing is what I am getting at here. The energy is being invested no matter what, so maybe it can be rechanneled into a more positive outcome.

Agree with SuchIrony. It's a matter of fairness. I have a lot of trouble with people jumping queues especially when driving. It's not really about being angry because they get 'rewarded' for breaking the rules, it's more that it's being unfair to all those people who are patiently waiting in line.

Yes, that's I typically get upset too in that situation.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Thanks a lot. Now you got me doubting my INTP type once again. :unsure:

Starry

I posted in the "inner demons" thread and got thinking about it.

Why is it so hard for me to forgive people who have seriously hurt my feelings? Why do I subsequently want them to get their comeuppance, and resent it if things go well for them?

It's a serious problem for me - it's eaten away at me on more than one occasion in my life. And the thing is, if things do ultimately go badly for them, I start to feel bad about my unpleasant thoughts. Almost like I ill-wished them, though that's not really it.

It would be better if I could let go a bit more, because for one thing, I really do believe in "you reap what you sow." (Also known as "what goes around comes around", "karma", etc). So if someone really has not behaved well - even if it has a bad effect on me - there will be consequences for them ultimately.

Frankly I am pretty sure that in part, it is also me projecting, or something like that. I mean - I am not just angry with them, but I am angry with myself. For trusting too much, for idealizing too much, for over-investing in people without really seeing their true nature...etc.

I try to tell myself all this, but it's still a problem.

Anyone else?

It is amazing to me how well I relate to your posts. I mean, not just this one...but almost all of them it seems. The only problem...is then that becomes all I can say. That I relate - but have no 'answers' or 'advice' or anything meaningful to add to the conversation because I am at the same loss. I always end up wanting to say "when you figure it out...let me know!"

I guess if I quickly do the math...an INFJ 6w5 & an ENFP 7w6...have NF 6 in common. And what you put forth (as far as I'm concerned)...seems to be a big one. The 'plight' of the NF 6 - so to speak. Basically waking up each morning...only to be reminded over and over that the world is NOTHING like you imagine it to be...like you think it should be. Z Buck McFate was speaking once (with regards to INFJs)...about possessing a 'we are all in this together' state of mind. I don't remember exactly what she was speaking to beyond that...still that phrase really jumped-out at me. I go through life (a fool I suspect)...believing 'we are all in this together'...yet everything around me...every experience I have...tells me otherwise. That NO ONE ELSE seems to think this way! And it is frustrating. Not only because my brain is hard-wired for a world (I'm having to come to terms with) that doesn't appear to exist. But also because I can't seem to let-go of wanting it to exist. Of wanting people to behave in a manner that demonstrates that 'we are all in this together'. Ummm...I'm starting to maybe not make sense here LOL! I'll quit while I'm ahead. Just wanted to say that I relate!