From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Default INFJs Getting Lost in the "Black Hole" of Time and Space

Don't know how many of you go through this, but it seems like whenever I get dead set focused on a task that I am doing, I almost lose sense of what is going on around me, it's almost like I get lost on autopilot whenever I am doing a task, or listening to a lecture and my brain goes off millions of miles away from the present moment. It's one of those moments where for a minute you can go off far away and practically not hear what is going on around you until a key word is mentioned in a lecture and then poof, you're back in the present moment. This also happens at home where I can become literally engrossed in an activity (such as reading or playing music), and then 2 hours fly by, and it feels like just a couple minutes.

I do find that in day to day stuff, even when I try to focus on the present moment, I end up getting sucked into my mind and end up focusing on my inner thoughts, this endless babble in my brain that goes on and on and on... one stream of thought leads to another, then goes to another, and then it branches outward to all the different angles of a problem or concept I am thinking of. It feels like a gravitational pull of a black hole, pulling me into my head and aspects of the present moment fade. Awareness of my body and sensory information in physical constructs of time and space end up becoming lost because I am so far inside my head.

INFJs on here, do you experience similar things like this? And if so, how does it feel for you, and what amusing stories do you have regarding getting lost in an Ni-Ti loop?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Yes, I do this, too. I have actually had to set an alarm to remind me to pick my children up from preschool because I would forget the time.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Yeah, there are times I'll be watching a program with my brother and when something interesting comes up he'll ask if I heard it... usually followed by, "Where were you that time?" It's a frequent thing. Was a HUGE problem in high school and life in general and I never want it to go away.
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

Sniffles

Yes - often.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4/9
    Socionics
    ???

No, this doesn't really happen to me . . . I mean I'll zone out and get lost in my thoughts some times if that's what you mean but you appear to be describing something deeper. Maybe I'm just too extraverted?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I definitely hyperfocus a lot, but I'm extremely focused on expectations of me (I probably developed this as a mechanism to counteract my tendency to lose track of reality), so I always know what time it is and pretty much never forget my commitments. I don't notice shit for sensory information though -- it's the tradeoff for being time sensitive and analyzing the shit out of everything that crosses my mind.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

My mum used to worry when I was a preschooler that she had forgotten me somewhere along the stops of dropping my dad and siblings off at work at school because I was so quiet in the back seat. Usually I would come up with some complete non sequitur based on my wandering train of thought, which I forgot to catch people up on.

Sometimes I've completely forgotten about engagements, but usually if it is something important I am okay. I don't think I get that totally absorbed unless sometimes when I am talking with people.

NPcomplete

When I ask my [INFJ] sister what she's done during the day, she sometimes bashfully replies that I should "never underestimate [her] power to get lost in the black hole that is [her] mind."

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Hmm.. wow. Sounds interesting. I usually need to refocus on the present moment frequently for points of reference. (Points of reference like, where am I? What am I doing today? What is going on in my immediate present and future? Where's my cell phone? and such. ) And that's what leads me off into daydream. How do you get lost in thought without these points? I guess most of it comes from inside somehow.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I think I use some concrete jumping off points - an article I read, a picture editing program I'm just learning how to use, the problems or discussions posed on here - those kinds of things sometimes result in me being surprised that the day has gone by and I've only got a fraction done of what I had originally intended to.