123 Last

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Default Question for INFJ's

I keep reading that INFJ's are pretty good at keeping their homes organized, getting things done, maintaining stuff, etc. Pretty much everything that perceivers suck at.. But I really wanted to ask about this because suprising to me, 2 very close INFJ's really struggle with this. I'm not saying they live in total chaos and filth or anything.. but one of them (a 30 year old male) keeps a pretty messy bedroom and desk area. The other one (29 yr old female) has such a gross car (I am not kidding!) that when ever I get in it I've had to hold my breath because it smells like rotting food or something. It's BAD. And this is coming from me.. I'm messy as hell. So I'm just really curious how many of you are just on it with cleanliness and stuff. I should add that the 29 yr old female is pretty depressed. She's been on meds for a while but even when we were growing up and before she fell into depression she was fairly pack-ratty.

Edit: Just to give you an idea of the "mess" I'm referring to - it's things like books, cd's, dvd's, papers, and clothing freqently scattered all over their bedrooms.. sometimes even food wrappers and takeout boxes. The girl's bathroom is just wretched with makeup products spilling on to her counter and hair products leaking all over. She is also extremely self conscious of letting anyone in her apartment. If I come over by myself she lets me come in but still goes into this frantic display of kicking crap into closets and trying to pick clothes up. But If I bring friends she ALWAYS just meets us in the car and we go somewhere else.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

As an INFJ, I can tell you that I really really struggle with keeping things organized and clean. I can be brilliant in small doses - organize the refrigerator perfectly, or instance, but keeping an entire house and the car under control is absolutely impossible! I have never understood those descriptions that say INFJ's are good at organizing or maintaining.

I am good at getting things done - achieving my goals. That is different, because it does not involve menial labor.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lily flower View Post
    I am good at getting things done - achieving my goals. That is different, because it does not involve menial labor.
    Ya, this is my experience with INFJ's as well. And really, I'm apt to believe that even an intuitives with a judging preference would still find sensory input a real drag. I know for a fact that these two INFJ's I'm referring to would almost always rather be reading, watching a movie, or working on school projects and career goals. I guess I'll wait for a few more INFJ's to post.. but I think this is going to end up on my typology myths list.

Actually, the same goes for an ENFJ I knew as well. But for her it was people and social events that kept her from being really clean. I don't know if ENFJ's are suppose to be clean or not.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

When I don't have my room to organize I organize my roommates.
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Do you need another roomate?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I might throw out half of your shit. Still asking?
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

MBTI
    INFJ

Im going to speak on this as a male INFJ, and as someone who is currently depressed. I agree with being brilliant in small doses, but organized only goes so far for me as to keep things in places I can find them. I get so lost in my head sometimes that if I dont commit a physical routine to muscle memory, I find myself becoming confused and a bit lost. Its sad really. However if you find an INFJ who's pretty on the ball and not depressed, youll find that he/her are more on the ball about keeping things a bit neat, as opposed to one who's lost in thought and over analyzing things and how they went wrong.

My point being that were generally, and I use the term loosely here, organized, but we keep messes we dont clean because regardless of someone else not knowing where everything is at, we know where its at. Make sense?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I'd generally agree with the above. I have areas of mess, but I know where things are. I like how it looks organized, but at the same time I find it rarely stays that way for a long time. One problem is that I have too many interests and I don't enjoy organizing just for organization's sake. It has to have some larger purpose. I don't like dirty dishes, dirty laundry, or garbage lying around, but I do happily tolerate a messy workspace etc and I remember as a child having a rather messy desk.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    I keep reading that INFJ's are pretty good at keeping their homes organized, getting things done, maintaining stuff, etc. Pretty much everything that perceivers suck at.. But I really wanted to ask about this because suprising to me, 2 very close INFJ's really struggle with this. I'm not saying they live in total chaos and filth or anything.. but one of them (a 30 year old male) keeps a pretty messy bedroom and desk area. The other one (29 yr old female) has such a gross car (I am not kidding!) that when ever I get in it I've had to hold my breath because it smells like rotting food or something. It's BAD. And this is coming from me.. I'm messy as hell. So I'm just really curious how many of you are just on it with cleanliness and stuff. I should add that the 29 yr old female is pretty depressed. She's been on meds for a while but even when we were growing up and before she fell into depression she was fairly pack-ratty.

Edit: Just to give you an idea of the "mess" I'm referring to - it's things like books, cd's, dvd's, papers, and clothing freqently scattered all over their bedrooms.. sometimes even food wrappers and takeout boxes. The girl's bathroom is just wretched with makeup products spilling on to her counter and hair products leaking all over. She is also extremely self conscious of letting anyone in her apartment. If I come over by myself she lets me come in but still goes into this frantic display of kicking crap into closets and trying to pick clothes up. But If I bring friends she ALWAYS just meets us in the car and we go somewhere else.
    I'm like the 30 year old male you mention. I'm certainly not wallowing in filth, but in all honesty I often don't clean as often as I should - not to the point of disgustingness but more like "oops, this is definitely grimier than I thought." And my desk and room (I live in a small studio flat) are constantly in a state of clutter and semi-organised chaos. Not clothes on the floor etc, but certainly piles of books everywhere, piles of clean clothes on chairs waiting to be put away, an over-full laundry bag etc.

It does feel good when I get things tidier, but it never lasts long. I kind of like a somewhat cluttered environment. It feels like a cozy nest. I seldom have real problems finding things, so it really is more like organised chaos.

I've had a couple of visitors recently and that's also good as it encourages me to clean up!

Especially if I'm highly stressed, I can become extremely unaware of my surroundings and having no energy also doesn't help. Then, the place can really degenerate.

I'm also a procrastinator. None of this really matches with the traditional idea of INFJs, but it seems to be pretty common, like you mention.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFJ

What I believe the above post is trying to say, is that our personal homes can reflect our states of mind. Im speaking for myself of course on this, but Id love to hear further thoughts on it.