User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

What's amazing to me is how much I want to have a clean uncluttered environment, and how much I am unable to do that for myself.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Synth View Post
    What I believe the above post is trying to say, is that our personal homes can reflect our states of mind. Im speaking for myself of course on this, but Id love to hear further thoughts on it.
    I think in my case, my physical environment (in terms of my living space) is definitely a fairly close reflection of my state of mind. On that basis it is interesting that I feel somewhat perkier when I do manage to clean up a bit (though for me, even my room in its most straightened-up condition probably looks like total clutter to many.)
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    I keep reading that INFJ's are pretty good at keeping their homes organized, getting things done, maintaining stuff, etc. Pretty much everything that perceivers suck at.. But I really wanted to ask about this because suprising to me, 2 very close INFJ's really struggle with this. I'm not saying they live in total chaos and filth or anything.. but one of them (a 30 year old male) keeps a pretty messy bedroom and desk area. The other one (29 yr old female) has such a gross car (I am not kidding!) that when ever I get in it I've had to hold my breath because it smells like rotting food or something. It's BAD. And this is coming from me.. I'm messy as hell. So I'm just really curious how many of you are just on it with cleanliness and stuff. I should add that the 29 yr old female is pretty depressed. She's been on meds for a while but even when we were growing up and before she fell into depression she was fairly pack-ratty.

Edit: Just to give you an idea of the "mess" I'm referring to - it's things like books, cd's, dvd's, papers, and clothing freqently scattered all over their bedrooms.. sometimes even food wrappers and takeout boxes. The girl's bathroom is just wretched with makeup products spilling on to her counter and hair products leaking all over. She is also extremely self conscious of letting anyone in her apartment. If I come over by myself she lets me come in but still goes into this frantic display of kicking crap into closets and trying to pick clothes up. But If I bring friends she ALWAYS just meets us in the car and we go somewhere else.
    I am good at being organized if someone is watching over me from time to time lol... Damned Fe.... if I know no one is coming by and isnt going to for a while, there is no reason to care what it looks like.
    Ground control to Major Tom

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I should add though, I'm far more tolerate of dust and grime than clutter, because it's not that noticeable to me. Probably doesn't help that I hate cleaning; I always feel dirty afterwards.
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Yeah, having company helps for me too. My state of mind is often represented by the state of my place. And I prefer clean and organized over dirty, but not at the expense of the priorities in my life at that time.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

I like to have my spaces clean so then I don't bump into something and all the stuff crashes down on the floor or suffer physical injury. But in all seriousness though, I generally have my spaces organized, just it looks lived in. Lots of nicknacks and stuff around. The top of my desk looks halfway organized, halfway going to clutterville. I think one of my problems is having too much stuff and not enough places to put it, so I have to creatively organize things in areas that aren't visible. Otherwise, most times the second law of thermodynamics takes place in my room: everything in the universe tends to disorder. When it gets to be too much disorder, I end up having to reorganize things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I’ll agree with what others have said in that I may not keep my living space especially organized to outside standards, but I absolutely need to know where everything is myself. If my keys aren’t where I leave them every single day, it can take me forever to find them. Once, last year, it took me four frantic hours of searching to find them- they were still hanging from the doorknob on the front door from unlocking the door the previous night. Same goes for my cell phone, purse, wallet, anything I might immediately need, I have to know where I can find it at a moment’s notice. Or dishes might (and regularly do) pile up in the sink, but I need them all put back in the right place after I clean them. It makes me antsy/agitated if someone ‘helps’ and ends up putting the short glasses where I usually put the tall glasses, etc. I just have a hard time functioning/am not able to think as clearly if things in the external world aren’t exactly where I expect them to be- so in that sense I'm hyper organized. But still messy by probably most standards.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ

Cool

Yup, i agree with the above too. I am more self conscious about my more public spaces, such as my desk in a communal office. That I will keep up to more conventional neat standards for the sake of not offending other people in the space. I don't think my personal space is messy, I see it as a complex organization system, because I know where everything is because everything has its place, I just don't happen to line everything up in rows.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I admit to being quite cluttered. Whatever room I end up spending the most time in is usually the messiest (my living room is a bit cluttered while the bedroom is very sparse). I sometimes have trouble keeping things like the bathroom and kitchen at the level of spotlessness I'd secretly prefer. (Where's my self-cleaning upgrade for my appliances! D: ) But I do try and I can usually keep it at a level where I'm satisfied. I tend to either go all out and clean from top to bottom or designate days for cleaning one room very thoroughly.

I recently got a pet, so by having something that causes a mess that I did not, that actually helps me keep the apartment cleaner. Apparently I can't stand a mess I didn't cause. That, and it would be very easy for a small kitten to eat something it's not supposed to if I let myself get too lazy.

Oh yes, and impending company also usually causes me to spontaneously become a maid.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

I am the messiest person IN THE WORLD.

I don't tolerate filth/dirt/germs/poor hygiene though. But you should see my room - there's a heap of dirty laundry in the corner. There are a few magazines scattered on my home desk, my bed's unmade, and several books I'm reading at the same time are piled right on my nightstand like the Tower of Babel. In the general common areas, when it's my month to clean, I hire housekeepers to do it.

I like to stay neat at work though. My desk MUST be spotless before I leave.

The most tragic case...is my handbag. Whenever I pay for something at the cash register, I hate causing people to wait (and risk getting yelled at) for taking the required 4-5 seconds to put away my change and receipts neatly. So, I just cram them into my bag wherever and vow to take care of it later - but I never do.

As a result, my textbook-sized handbag is probably 50 lbs, halfway filled with coins, and bursting with receipts/scraps of paper/others' business cards/etc. Additionally, I REFUSE to litter, so if I finish a candy bar or even a bag of chips, rather than LITTER, hold it in my hand for 20 minutes until I find a trashcan, or whatever - I simply cram it right into my purse. That usually does get dealt with though, since I don't want microscopic crumbs mummifying in my own purse.

My car? I'm a notorious muncher, so crumbs and wrappers crammed against the doors happen - but those get taken care of. I do tend to toss aside shopping bags in the back seat though, and I'm always losing a book under the seats. I get my car washed regularly.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg