First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    I dunno. I agree that they don't flux in the emotional sense like we do, but I've seen ENTP's be extremely contradictory in their roles. I knew one ENTP that went from going to school as a philosophy major, really liberal and soft-science focused, to joining the army, to getting kicked out of the army for selling ecstacy where he was stationed, to developing a drug addiction, to getting drug treatment and joining up with a strong organized religion, all in about 18 months. Ofcourse this can be attributed to being young, or directionless, or addicted to drugs.. but it's definately not the first ENTP I've seen flip sides dramatically. *shrugs*
    Agreed.

Fickleness is associated with Ne. Jung notes it, as do most MBTI authors. Pursuing new ideas, discarding old perspectives, etc, is very N in general, and with Ne types this is often visible in their behavior (with Ni types, it tends to be more internal).

I have no idea what empathy is supposed to do with this either....
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i feel like i get what he means with the empathy angle...but it's both i think...we relate deeply or empathize with who they are and it inspires us in new and different ways...haha just kidding...i have no idea what i'm talking about.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    i feel like i get what he means with the empathy angle...but it's both i think...we relate deeply or empathize with who they are and it inspires us in new and different ways...haha just kidding...i have no idea what i'm talking about.
    Yes I see what you mean....but I still see the inspiration here as more of a Ne thing, which makes it equally applicable to ENTPs. I have seen ENTPs latch onto someone else's idea & run with it, basically being inspired by someone else. There may be more of a personal, Fi aspect to the way ENFPs do it that seems like empathy I guess.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Yes I see what you mean....but I still see the inspiration here as more of a Ne thing, which makes it equally applicable to ENTPs. I have seen ENTPs latch onto someone else's idea & run with it, basically being inspired by someone else. There may be more of a personal, Fi aspect to the way ENFPs do it that seems like empathy I guess.
    no, inspiration in this instance is more of an Fi thing
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    sure yeah...i can see how we just sort of flow with it. both types are probably good at getting on someones level very quickly...probably why entps are considered to be so charming and i notice it in myself too at work as a photographer...people feel at ease with me quickly...doesn't matter who they are...maybe that is easier for me as a ne dom.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

sure yeah...i can see how we just sort of flow with it. both types are probably good at getting on someones level very quickly...probably why entps are considered to be so charming and i notice it in myself too at work as a photographer...people feel at ease with me quickly...doesn't matter who they are...maybe that is easier for me as a ne dom.
    no, that's easier for you as a 7w6
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

No, I believe your on to something. I wanted INTP to elaborate to be sure. There are certainly times when I take in emotions around me and it definately affects my behavior. If I am with a group of really excited, adventurous, positive thinking people (like I wish I could be always haha) I too become MORE excited, adventurous, and positive thinking. If I am with a group of intellectual bad-ass skeptics sitting at a coffee house talking about Chomsky or something, I too can play down the emotional excitability and become detached, more logical, critical, and deep thinking. If I sit down to do a a collage while watching eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, or worse- the salton sea.. I can get into a deep, introspective, dark funk.

so i see where your going with it.. Fi probably weighs in a bit.. but not entirely, and certainly not ONLY on an empathetic level. It seems to be more mind-centered with elements of feeling.

again, this is just my take as well. I could be really off-base.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

A window to the soul

My understanding of the Fi/Fe attitudes is slightly different than what was described. Introverted feeling leans towards a sympathetic attitude (ENFP) and extraverted feeling leans towards an empathetic attitude (ENTP).

Example: I understand how terrible you feel about your crummy boss [empathy], but I have no sympathy for you. Logically, you have the power to change your crap situation. That means you're probably not going to hear many coddling words from an ENTP (not seriously); like,
    "awwww, you poor thing, let it all out.. that jerk" [sympathy]. That's an Fi attitude.

Here's a brief explanation on the difference between empathy and sympathy that I posted awhile back:

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    They differ in emotional meaning:

• Empathy when one has "been there" and sympathy when one hasn't.
    • Empathy is actually sharing another's suffering [Fe], while sympathy is a feeling of recognition of another's suffering [Fi].
    • Empathy is putting yourself in someone else's shoes to feel what they're feeling [Fe] and sympathy is the ability to support the emotions of another person with compassion [Fi].

One can empathize, but not sympathize:
    One might empathize with someone that hates their job, but not be sympathetic towards that person because they logically conclude that person has the power to change their situation.

One can empathize and sympathize:
    One feels sympathy towards someone that loses a loved one and also feel empathy, if they too have lost a loved one.

To answer your question, I think empathy is more highly regarded because it's more personal. It's truly connecting with someone and gaining an unspoken understanding. Then and only then can you really inspire or appropriately help someone. And yes, even sympathize. In my opinion.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    no, that's easier for you as a 7w6
    what's that got to do with it?
    -Jim Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    My understanding of the Fi/Fe attitudes is slightly different than what was described. Introverted feeling leans towards a sympathetic attitude (ENFP) and extraverted feeling leans towards an empathetic attitude (ENTP).

Example: I understand how terrible you feel about your crummy boss [empathy], but I have no sympathy for you. Logically, you have the power to change your crap situation. That means you're probably not going to hear coddling words from an ENTP; like,
    "awwww, you poor thing, let it all out.. that jerk" [sympathy]. That's the Fi attitude.

Here's a brief explanation on the difference between empathy and sympathy that I posted awhile back:
    Something about this definition makes Fi seem rather superficial. But maybe that's just me.