User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Far beyond being a comedian and a silly fellow, I am a gentleman, I am a romantic, I am an optimist, and I am a big believer that chivalry and courtship still exist
    Dig that, brother Alex.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Two more things:
    1) I'm still not sure about INFJs acting like ESTPs, just because I know so many INFJs and yet I still haven't seen it in action before, but I agree with everyone who's been saying that INFJs can have very Se hobbies. Most of the INFJs I know absolutely love outdoor activities -- hiking, cycling, skiing -- and they love it for the sights, sounds, and smells of the great outdoors. My INFJ mom is always trying to take me birdwatching but my Se is not nearly developed enough to allow me to appreciate birds for as lengthy a period of time as she can.

2) @Halla74, your post was perfect.
    EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Dig that, brother Alex.
    Exactly!
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Who taught Marmie MBTI?
    Helen Keller.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Most of the INFJs I know absolutely love outdoor activities -- hiking, cycling, skiing -- and they love it for the sights, sounds, and smells of the great outdoors. My INFJ mom is always trying to take me birdwatching but my Se is not nearly developed enough to allow me to appreciate birds for as lengthy a period of time as she can.
    To the bolded - funny! I started birdwatching when I was a wee lass in 5th grade.

And yeah, I have two INFJ friends who are both very much into the outdoors; one has done all sorts of hiking/traveling around the world (her interests are more in allignment with mine), and the other does that to a lesser extent but instead is much more into snowboarding and also super into triathlons (even Ironmans... good lord), marathons, long-distance biking...and all of us actively climb or have been interested in rock-climbing in the past (and believe me, they're both definitively INFJ's)

I think too with infj's there's a strong goal-oriented/accomplishment streak with some hobbies (i.e. the more solo-sport-related ones)... it's sort of pushing ourselves to the limit and achieving it - the act of physically accomplishing something and also physically improving against ourselves.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

A window to the soul

Two more things:
    1) I'm still not sure about INFJs acting like ESTPs, just because I know so many INFJs and yet I still haven't seen it in action before, but I agree with everyone who's been saying that INFJs can have very Se hobbies. Most of the INFJs I know absolutely love outdoor activities -- hiking, cycling, skiing -- and they love it for the sights, sounds, and smells of the great outdoors. My INFJ mom is always trying to take me birdwatching but my Se is not nearly developed enough to allow me to appreciate birds for as lengthy a period of time as she can.
    I've never seen it. My brother-in-law is hardcore ESTP. My sister and Mom are hardcore INFJ's. ESTP and INFJ are distinctly different. My sister loves animals, but I wouldn't say she's outdoorsy. I have a hard time dragging any of the NF's I know outside for longer than 30mins, if it means breaking out a sweat or getting dirty. Not even in the name of teamwork and helping out a sis. As for my brother-in-law, now that's a different story. He's the man! No sooner do I throw out an idea, and he's firing up a chainsaw.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    *flees rollercoaster like scared bunny who hatez rollercoasters*
    You and me both, sister!
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    To the bolded - funny! I started birdwatching when I was a wee lass in 5th grade.
    Good for you! Birdwatching is one of those things that I wish I could like, but I just don't know if I'm capable of it. (My mom and I make fun of each other all the time, when we talk about it. )
    And yeah, I have two INFJ friends who are both very much into the outdoors; one has done all sorts of hiking/traveling around the world (her interests are more in allignment with mine), and the other does that to a lesser extent but instead is much more into snowboarding and also super into triathlons (even Ironmans... good lord), marathons, long-distance biking...and all of us actively climb or have been interested in rock-climbing in the past (and believe me, they're both definitively INFJ's)

I think too with infj's there's a strong goal-oriented/accomplishment streak with some hobbies (i.e. the more solo-sport-related ones)... it's sort of pushing ourselves to the limit and achieving it - the act of physically accomplishing something and also physically improving against ourselves.
    Interesting! I really see that with the INFJs I know. Thank you for enlightening me! In the back of my mind, I always wonder why so many of my INFJs push themselves to the point that they seem miserable and vent at me all the time. But I guess they just don't tell me how rewarding it is to them, to have things finished.

My INFJ mom and my INFJ work study boss are both artists (one a musician, one a costume designer), and they are more stressed out by deadlines than anyone I know. Maybe it's their version of that sensory thrill you were talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    I've never seen it. My brother-in-law is hardcore ESTP. My sister and Mom are hardcore INFJ's. ESTP and INFJ are distinctly different. My sister loves animals, but I wouldn't say she's outdoorsy. I have a hard time dragging any of the NF's I know outside for longer than 30mins, if it means breaking out a sweat or getting dirty. Not even in the name of teamwork and helping out a sis. As for my brother-in-law, now that's a different story. He's the man! No sooner do I throw out an idea, and he's firing up a chainsaw.
    It's interesting -- I wouldn't say that the INFJs I know are very adventurous, either, or very willing to get out of their comfort zones. But I guess, since I grew up very close to nature (literally, not metaphorically), outdoorsy activities ended up in my INFJs' comfort zones early on.

And your brother-in-law sounds awesome.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

A window to the soul

To put things in the proper context, I live in a *very* hot and humid part of the country, so I can't say I blame the person that doesn't want to do outdoor activities, if it doesn't interest them. ENTP's we're energized by people, ideas and we sometimes need people to help us execute a project plan much greater than ourselves. I've found that the male ESTP is willing to do what the female IxFx isn't, under extreme conditions. Sometimes it's necessary to throw in some cash to get an IxFx to let go of fears, or put a smile on their face and acquire a "let's do this" attitude. Money talks! To maximize their 'can do' attitudes, I've learned to pay the NFJ's up front and the SFP's afterwards. I've never had to bribe an ESTP and greater is the reward to a friend like that. So much stereotyping, I know.

I can't speak for male INFJs (cause I've only knowingly met one briefly on two occasions and he was inebriated on the second --take from that what you will) and I've only met two other female INFJs irl from this forum.

I know that for myself I am definitely capable of operating in ESTP mode. It used to be a strictly negative cycle where I was destressing and self-destructing. It's taken about a decade to eliminate the self-destructing part and just learn to go with the flow and enjoy these experiences as a mode of unwinding rather than nosediving the ride into an 'out of control spiral.' I've learned to pull back sooner once the steam is out of my system and return to my more comfortable state. I also find with time that I can engage in this behavior more seamlessly, more comfortably, and more frequently before my stress reaches fever pitch. It's not hard to imagine that an INFJ male would be inclined to develop this side of himself earlier than females due to obvious societal pressures.

I just question the frequency of 1) the op's number of friends turning up INFJ and 2) the number of them lapsing into ESTP mode and 3) the frequency with which they appear to be lapsing into ESTP mode and 4) the frequency with which they engage this side of themselves in a completely obnoxious and self-destructive manner. I don't question any of the above as being possible, it's the rate of occurrence on all counts that I'm skeptical of.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Interesting! I really see that with the INFJs I know. Thank you for enlightening me! In the back of my mind, I always wonder why so many of my INFJs push themselves to the point that they seem miserable and vent at me all the time. But I guess they just don't tell me how rewarding it is to them, to have things finished.
    Yeah, I really do think a lot of it is accomplishment-driven, and gaining a lot of satisfaction out of 'proving' that we can do it - not to others, but to ourselves. And it may too be tied to the fact that it probably isn't our 'baseline' personality.. we're not like that the majority of the time. However it IS still an important piece of us imo, so again I don't really buy into the whole contriving/wannabe element as being a driving force.

(my most recent blog entry may be of interest to you as it's totally on this topic - and, I'll add, my INTJ boyfriend is exactly the same when it comes to this - but they're identical to us in this manner because obviously they too have inferior Se).

Edit: but to your sensory point, absolutely that's another element of nature for me. Just letting go and being attuned to the here-and-now. Not to mention some of my strongest values revolve around nature.

My INFJ mom and my INFJ work study boss are both artists (one a musician, one a costume designer), and they are more stressed out by deadlines than anyone I know. Maybe it's their version of that sensory thrill you were talking about?
    Hmm... I'll say I pay attention to deadlines and am never late, so deadlines are 'important' in that sense to me; not sure that I'm overly stressed about them though, but that's probably because I'm pretty proactive and try to be preventative such that I don't get to the point of stress in the first place. Sometimes that can't be helped, though, and at those times while totally stressed, I can sometimes perform better as a result. Not always though.

Funny.. another thing in common w/ your mom! Another hobby of mine is watercolor painting, although it's kind of fallen by the wayside in recent months due to my being busy with other things.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ