• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Essence of Feeling

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Proposition: Feeling, as depicted by Jung, is a rational function.

Definition: Rational, decision-making.

Distinction: A rational function is a property of conscious scrutiny, an irrational is a property of unconscious perception.

How does a rational function work?

We use rational functions to make decisions. Thinking relies on laws of reasoning or logic, yet Feeling relies on personal principles or what we call personal values. The outcome of attunement with principles for Thinking is confidence of what one has come to know. The outcome of this for Feeling is harmonization with oneself on a personal level and others, or simply put, personal sympathy. Personal sympathy seems to be a more intuitive rather than rational notion, however, Jung rightly labelled Feeling as a rational function because attunement with personal values is a prerequisite for personal sympathy. Or in other words, the more in line the Feeler is with his personal values, the easier it will be for him to be sympathetic. The two entities stand in direct proportion.

One can argue that Thinking is a more rational function than Feeling because it stays firmer to its principles, or in other words, it requires only logical soundness to function. Yet principles of Feeling are established by highly subjective and often mercurial personal sentiments of the person in question and other individuals surrounding him. My thesis is that Feeling is a rational function because the harmonizing intuition is not the starting point but only an entailment of the Feeler's attunment with conscious principles. The harmonizing intuition is only as analogous to Feeling as confidence and critical attitude is analogous to Thinking. To call Feeling an irrational function is no less absurd than calling Thinking an irrational one for the critical attitude and notion of self-competence.

redacted

i agree.

they're both deductive processes.

add-on: "feeling" in the common sense of the word seems to exist outside of the realm of cognitive functions.

BallentineChen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
How about one being qualitative and the other quantitative?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How about one being qualitative and the other quantitative?

Those can come into play, but I think he just wanted to focus more on the rational [judging] vs irrational [perceiving] aspects right now.

Restating (to see if I understand it all correctly):

Thinking recognizes wholeness/completeness by feeling confidence in its knowledge. Meanwhile, Feeling recognizes wholeness/completeness by feeling harmonization within itself and personal sympathy for others.

While sympathy seems more like something that occurs on its own rather than being a conscious decision, Feeling is still "rational" because the inner harmonization must come first.

Likewise, Thinking might seem more "rational" than Feeling because the individual's preferences aren't really interfering with the "logical soundness"; it's more standardized, in a sense.

However, despite Feeling values seeming to be based on mercurial preferences in the individual and those around him or her, this sympathy/intuition comes AFTER the conscious coordination with conscious principles. So Feeling is still a rational and conscious function.

I think it's easier to see Te/Fe as rational functions because both are used in an obviously conscious way.

Ti is more ambiguous and subjective but still commonly is perceived as rational. Fi is probably the one that is most questioned as a rational function, especially because it often expresses itself in terms of innate and structureless sympathy for others.

heart

heart on fire
Fi is probably the one that is most questioned as a rational function, especially because it often expresses itself in terms of innate and structureless sympathy for others.

Even though it may appear this way on the outside, inwardly it is not structureless at all. I will be true to my own sense of values first and foremost and then to all other aspects, including sympathy. My sympathies are just one aspect of forming and examining my value structure, but they are not the structure itself.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Even though it may appear this way on the outside, inwardly it is not structureless at all. I will be true to my own sense of values first and foremost and then to all other aspects, including sympathy. My sympathies are just one aspect of forming and examining my value structure, but they are not the structure itself.

I think that is what is being said -- Fi looks one way on the surface, which can be misleading, because it's quite different (specifically, it's rational) underneath.

I think even Ti can seem a bit flighty or not anchored sometimes when it is expressed through Ne... You really only get to see how resilient and rational it is when you press on it, you can then feel the bones underneath all the flutter.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
:doh: so you said... while the Feeler's value system itself may be irrational decisions based on it are rational? :cry: Maybe you need to make it simpler for me?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:doh: so you said... while the Feeler's value system itself may be irrational decisions based on it are rational? :cry: Maybe you need to make it simpler for me?

There are two aspects to Feeling.

1. Affinity with personal value.
2. Personal sympathy.

Affinity with personal values is a conscious process. Personal sympathy is intuitive. Hence, values are rational or conscious, yet sympathy is irrational or unconscious. A feeler can only be sympathetic after having acquired affinity with personal values.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
There are two aspects to Feeling.

1. Affinity with personal value.
2. Personal sympathy.

Affinity with personal values is a conscious process. Personal sympathy is intuitive. Hence, values are rational or conscious, yet sympathy is irrational or unconscious. A feeler can only be sympathetic after having acquired affinity with personal values.

You seem to be equating "rational" with simple consiousness. Which definition of rational are you using:

1. Having or exercising the ability to reason.
  2. Of sound mind; sane.
  3. Consistent with or based on reason; logical: rational behavior. See synonyms at logical.
  4. Mathematics. Capable of being expressed as a quotient of integers.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You seem to be equating "rational" with simple consiousness. Which definition of rational are you using:

1. Having or exercising the ability to reason.
  2. Of sound mind; sane.
  3. Consistent with or based on reason; logical: rational behavior. See synonyms at logical.
  4. Mathematics. Capable of being expressed as a quotient of integers.

I am using the strict Jungian definition which means precisely the conscious scrutiny. Difficult to explain why he used rational and irrational to depict the two concepts,, conscious and non-conscious would have been far more fitting.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
One could argue that a persons 'feelings' are greatly affected by the outside world, thus making them appear irrational.

Also on a personal level I find it more difficult to explain in a language that is understandable just exactly why I feel what I feel. It seems to lack the 'jargon' that is commonly understood because it's a feeling that causes a thought not a thought that causes a feeling.

heart

heart on fire
Also on a personal level I find it more difficult to explain in a language that is understandable just exactly why I feel what I feel.

Yes, I agree with this. Sometimes extremely hard to translate out to words that someone else would understand. Much remains locked inside as a result, but within my mind I know exactly what I mean.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
Yes, I agree with this. Sometimes extremely hard to translate out to words that someone else would understand. Much remains locked inside as a result, but within my mind I know exactly what I mean.

yes

there just doesn't seem to be enough words to translate a feeling into a word, and in trying to explain it much gets lost in the translation......

personally I get frustrated, because I realize I am not making sense, and there is nothing I can say to make the light go on. It's like trying to explain love to someone who has never been in love, or red to someone who cannot see.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
yes

there just doesn't seem to be enough words to translate a feeling into a word, and in trying to explain it much gets lost in the translation......

personally I get frustrated, because I realize I am not making sense, and there is nothing I can say to make the light go on. It's like trying to explain love to someone who has never been in love, or red to someone who cannot see.

Or like mystical enlightenment to someone who has never meditated? If so, I can relate that way.

I find the intuitive function, as I use it, impossible to explain also. I've said here before that so many of my friends call me psychic and its really hard trying to explain how I'm not.. there really isn't a language for my process. I read type description recently where "N" was described as using a "sixth sense" to differentiate it. My eyes bulged and steam came out of my nose... geee... thanks... so to be "NF"... umm... no thanks. LOL

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Last week or so I posted about how I felt another person. Just yesterday I felt the same internal feeling about my newly established company. I often say the people who feel God inside them can feel that way about a sandwich with the right conditioning. Maybe I prooved myself right, except with my company not a sandwich.

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
Thinking seems to be affected by the internal world, whereas feeling seems to be affected by the external world. Both can be illogical when affected greatly.