User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default Seeing the best in people

I am unsure if this is an NF or F or Human trait but i'll ask here as i have a feeling i'll get most responses in this section.

I always try and see the best in people and in personal relationships feel a sense of sadness and disappointment when i find them to be human beings, yet am aware we are all capable of pain and hurt towards those close to us and those we have nothing in common with but i like to look past flaws and see the best of them and their potential.

If you also look for the best in people, are you happy with this even if you may feel a sense of disappointment? Is this an area within your personality you'd like to change? Do you feel that although aware of it, you don't want to change because this is essentially who you are?

I know in myself (at this moment in time) that i don't want to change the fact i see the best in people. Yes, sometimes i learn hard lessons and realise i need to toughen up but ultimately i learn new skills in coping with these situations.

Please add any other thoughts on the subject as i'm curious.

It's late, i'm tired and i'll post more tomorrow. Hope this makes sense.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i've just put myself in a situation that i'll likely be paying for my whole life and i'm overwhelmed by sadness and disappoint because of it...all because i naively assumed someone was better person than they were...so yeah i'm wishing i was less trusting.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i used to be like this, but i think i've developed too hard of a shell and now it's more the opposite. i like having low expectations because i'll be pleasantly surprised more often.

whenever i try not to listen to my doubts about people, i end up regretting it later.

MBTI
    ENFP

I am the same way with people. I tend to trust too much, although once my trust has been betrayed I also tend to write people off pretty well...

Ok, I lied. I am world renown for giving people second chances. But thats where I draw the line!

It sucks sometimes, but I see it as a facet of who I am more than a flaw or something I wish I didnt have.
    "It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell." - Buddha

E - 78% N - 62% F - 12% P - 56% - HumanMetrics

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I tend to have a neutral approach to most people. Good people can act badly depending upon the situation so it's tough to judge when it comes to interpersonal matters.

The full spectrum of someone's character or personality aren't known until you've given them a chance to act and I do my best to make that a calculated risk not a blind one.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I don't think I ever could stop seeing the best in people, but I don't get over things quickly if I've been hurt and the relationship is over. Afterwards, I need A LOT of time and space without ever seeing or interacting with the person in order to forget and renew myself, and if I'm not allowed that time and space then the pain just drags on longer. I guess this means that I don't truly know how to forgive considering that I need to forget, but I'm learning that that's just how it is for me.

I see the best in people up close, but I'm kind of grouchy about humanity in general. It's like a seperate entity or something.

I'm not proud of it though... I just am.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I see the best in people up close, but I'm kind of grouchy about humanity in general. It's like a seperate entity or something.

I'm not proud of it though... I just am.
    I totally relate Kdude. This seems to be how it is for me as well. Individually & initially I seem to have quite a pedestal complex, especially with imtimate relations. When that bubble bursts (and that bubble has lasted a long god dam time in certain pairings) its is actually VERY painful for me to come to terms with the reality of a person instead of my projected ideal. But hey, don't they call us idealists for a reason?

As far as humanity is concerned.. I can swing into extremism on both misanthropy and philanthropy.. and all of this seems to depend very much on whatever current experience and cirumstance takes place. This is how I KNOW that what one says of about the world relfects more on the mind than it does the actual world. But generally, reaching far into my gut I do side with optomistim in human nature, and tend to be very forgiving and understanding of human failings.. always acknowledging a condition that may have caused the dissapointing behavior.

I am, for sure, the hardest on those close to me. I tend to hold them in such high regard that when they do fall its a much longer drop.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

I try (keyword: try) to see the best in people.

Humanity as a whole? I'm generally optimistic enough.
    Last edited by Rail Tracer; 08-17-2011 at 12:46 PM.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Sas,

Have you checked into the "Pygmalion Effect?"

Watch the movie "My Fair Lady" to get a great crash course on it...

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro