• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Don't Touch Me - Whats the Deal?

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
normal healthy people would not force physical interaction on someone without picking up on various ques that its okay. Maybe they should be a little more sensitive with boundaries.

"Normal, healthy" people all do it differently. If I like someone, I am eager to touch them in the first minute, and I'm usually not willing to spend more time with those who reject the most basic forms of touching unless they're very, very interesting otherwise. Maybe because I unwillingly associate this with a lack of openness and sensuality.

Now strangers randomly touching, 'specially creepy guys, will elicit a very nasty hateful response from me, because that's just bullshit.

I, for one, love to feel "creepy". Putting pressure on you guys makes me smile.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I have some issues with contact - I feel "suffocated" easily, and I can assume a somewhat defensive position if someone gets too close.

That said, I once had a small incident with a colleague because I tried a bit too hard to "reach out". Moderation is key, I s'pose. :D

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've heard that not wanting to be touched alot can be connected with introversion. Why? What is the psychology behind this? Is it that introverts are so focused on internal that external physical contact is startling? Is it that introverts can be on an internal train and it is suddenly derailed by an external action that forces the introvert to shift gears and become present? Ideas?

Jessica

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
INTP here.

I don't like being touched, unless it's a specific kind of touch or by someone special.

Generally acceptable touch: fist pump, high fives, and back scratches. =3
Generally not acceptable touch: hugs, kisses, shaking hands, etc.

I've never had a hug I enjoy. I've only kissed one person and enjoyed it. Stuff like that.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've heard that not wanting to be touched alot can be connected with introversion. Why? What is the psychology behind this? Is it that introverts are so focused on internal that external physical contact is startling? Is it that introverts can be on an internal train and it is suddenly derailed by an external action that forces the introvert to shift gears and become present? Ideas?

the external world drains their energy. depending on how, it can be fun and drain their energy in the same way playing a sport would, or it can be overwhelming like being thrown off of a cliff.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I, for one, love to feel "creepy". Putting pressure on you guys makes me smile.

Do you do this to compensate for attention you wouldn't otherwise get?

Cuz I can tell you I'm a fairly open person (I used to give lap dances for a living) and I can be quite affectionate with people I like or love so if you're some dude getting handsy with me while I'm cooking or taking someone's order ...or if you're the drunk guy who won't stop trying to touch my crotch during a lap dance when I said it was okay as long as he kept his hands on my back and arms...there be something wrong with you.

That's not just creepy that's like rapist material.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you do this to compensate for attention you wouldn't otherwise get?
[...] That's not just creepy that's like rapist material.

Exactly, I'm not sure how these examples came to your mind. What you've described is not creepy, it's more like sexual assault (and has little to do with the op).
People usually consider intense staring, touching face, carressing hands etc. from the very beginning of a conversation "creepy".
I do it to 1) attract a girl I like, 2) to test for her reactions (if she's worthy of my attention) and draw conclusions based on them, 3) to enjoy the chemical rush caused by the discomfort.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Exactly, I'm not sure how these examples came to your mind. What you've described is not creepy, it's more like sexual assault (and has little to do with the op).
People usually consider intense staring, touching face, carressing hands etc. from the very beginning of a conversation "creepy".
I do it to 1) attract a girl I like, 2) to test for her reactions (if she's worthy of my attention) and draw conclusions based on them, 3) to enjoy the chemical rush caused by the discomfort.

Yes well sexual assault is creepy to me.

If that's not what you're talking about, then that's cool. But if you're some guy who wants to see how I'll "react" if you randomly grab me or rub on me while I'm doing the dishes, you might get punched. I'm very reactive about things like that.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:3

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-u5WLJ9Yk4"]HIT ME BABY ONE MORE TIIIIIME[/YOUTUBE]

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't really mind being hugged etc but don't especially seek it out. Whether I want to hug or be hugged or whatever is just very dependent on what kind of vibe I get from the person, what kind of relationship we have, etc.

I think there are so many variables. Huxley mentioned that her issues with it have to do partly with boundary violations at an early age and I can totally understand that (well, I think I can though I don't have personal experience that way.) Some cultures are extremely touchy, some are not.

I've noticed that in recent years I've developed a habit of touching people on the arm if I want to express something like - sympathy, or just that I like them (either platonically or romantically.) I do it with either girls or guys but there has to be at least some level of closeness already. Not necessarily super-close but we need to have at least a certain level of comfort.

My family was fairly physically affectionate when I was growing up but in a fairly regulated way, if that makes sense. Like, hugs and kisses goodnight but not all that much at other times. None of us are naturally very physically affectionate, I think, but I am definitely more so than I used to be. My mom almost feels too huggy with me sometimes when we're together these days but I totally understand that because we live thousands of miles apart and often don't see each other for a year or two at a stretch.

I might also be a little more physically affectionate since moving to Europe where a lot of people give kisses on the cheeks as greetings. At first it was weird for me and even slightly exciting-feeling if it was a cute guy. ;) Now the only time it would feel anything like "exciting" would be if it was a guy I was seriously attracted to and there was some tension between us.

I do think that according to personality and culture and background/experiences there are so many ways people approach the physical touch thing. I'm pretty reticent physically with people of the opposite sex except if you're a guy and I like you there's likely to be a lot of the arm-touching :blush: I've misread guys (or possibly read them correctly, but they weren't willing to do anything about it) over their touchiness with me before. I can think of two different guys who were both pretty touchy with me when we were friends. Making a point of giving me a hand down a slope, gently putting an arm around me to steer me away from the road, lingering hugs and kisses on the cheek, squeezing my hand goodbye, etc. In one case, the guy was attracted to me and we ended up together for a while. In the other case (and this guy also did things like squeeze my hip and make jokes about pinching my bottom) he's now dating someone else and claims he just saw me as a friend (though I am not convinced that there was nothing there on his side). So...I just think it's hard to say with stuff like that.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't mind being hugged or touched casually, but I have to know and like you to react to you in a romantic way. If you try to get physical with me before we really know each other, it just feels weird and fake to me. So it's a turnoff. Also, the fact that you like me doesn't mean I automatically like you back.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I'm not all that fond of personal touch outside of carefully proscribed circumstances. A handshake or hug hello/goodbye when seeing friends after a long period of time, a handshake in business-introduction settings, no problem. Anything else? I'd better like you a whole lot (very rare), or I'm probably going to be very uncomfortable, if I outright don't flinch away. The whole "touch on the arm" thing just gives me the creeps in most circumstances (granted, I can envision cases where I'd welcome it, but there are probably a handful of people I've ever met who'd be in that group).

The other day at work I said something in a meeting that someone agreed with, and he reached out and gave me one of those confirming casual arm-touches. Not cool. Not offensive or in any way inappropriate, but... *not* cool.

G

Glycerine

I am ENFJ and dislike being touched. It's a personal thing and it doesn't necessary mean you are screwed up. It's just who you are.