• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Role Model mimicking

FaboVI

Now we all have people with traits we admire and most of us have or had role models, but is there any type in the NF group that almost worships their role models/tries to be like them?

I've read on the INFP Forum that this is more related to ENFP's and ENFJ's more-so than INFP's and INFJ's.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
No. I have never tried to be somebody else.

Edit: But I have tried to develop some sides of myself that I see is good but I didn't want to be somebody else totally.

Last edited:

BallentineChen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
I've noticed when I spend prolonged time with anyone I begin picking up their gesticulation.

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I definitely have the tendency (sub-conscious) of becoming more like the people I am around a lot, but it has never been a conscious pursuit of mine. I think it is a mix of empathy and a defense mechanism, whereas if I am more similar to those around me, there is less likelihood there will be any conflict.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've noticed ISFJs who admire NF types (especially ENFJs) and end up trying to be like them... and often get frustrated because they are still S at heart rather than N and just can't change enough to their satisfaction.

B

ByMySword

I try to develop my Ti more. I envy how controlled the INTJs are. I often try to mimic them.

Not as much as I use to, though. I'm becoming prouder of my INFJness all the time. ;)

Annuit Coeptis

MBTI Type
intp
I used obsess with each new novelty, and to an extent I still do. This led to a huge amount of mimicing- Alvin (from the chipmunks), to Jim Carey, Weird Al, etc. It was not even conscious, really. It was just that I loved them so much and their images were so prevalent in my consciousness that the rest followed inevitably.

Annuit Coeptis

MBTI Type
intp
I would argue that ENFP's are the most guilty of outwardly displaying mimicry, though other types may mimic just as much in a less visible way.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I definitely need role models and seek them. When I've found one, I get such an emotional and soulful grip on them that I often have to confess it ends up like idolatry. I'm a Christian so I struggle about this sin all the time. In my experience, your role model never quite understands it and you find yourself alone in the end.
About mimicking, I suppose I do it, but I'm always careful about remaining true to myself to a certain extent, because it might just be totally freaky for role models to see an admirative clone of themselves.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I definitely need role models and seek them. When I've found one, I get such an emotional and soulful grip on them that I often have to confess it ends up like idolatry. I'm a Christian so I struggle about this sin all the time. In my experience, your role model never quite understands it and you find yourself alone in the end.
About mimicking, I suppose I do it, but I'm always careful about remaining true to myself to a certain extent, because it might just be totally freaky for role models to see an admirative clone of themselves.

My understanding of the idolatry issue as it relates to Christianity is just that you should not let anything become more important than God--that's the point at which you're creating idols in that sense. I don't think having a role model is the same thing.

I've always had role models, ever since I was a kid. It's just always been a natural thing for me to do. They're usually not people I know, though. Usually, it's someone famous that I admire for one reason or another, and I just take the parts I admire as inspiration.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm going to have to agree that ENFPs are awesome mimics. I'm going to extend that to ENTPs too (the ones I know are as good). It's an Ne talent.

As far as conciously trying to be someone we worship... I doubt it. I'll imitate an expert violinist, or the mannerisms of my best friend, but I will never try to be someone I'm not. In the end it's like the song says, I'll do it my way!

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
My understanding of the idolatry issue as it relates to Christianity is just that you should not let anything become more important than God--that's the point at which you're creating idols in that sense. I don't think having a role model is the same thing.

I've always had role models, ever since I was a kid. It's just always been a natural thing for me to do. They're usually not people I know, though. Usually, it's someone famous that I admire for one reason or another, and I just take the parts I admire as inspiration.

Yeah, C.S. Lewis thinks the same. He says a person you admire or love deeply is not necessarily a god, since you don't believe he/she has created you and can do for you what the Almighty can do. But a person that fills up your life in the way God should, and you seek in that person this sort of satisfaction is still idolatry in a way. But I don't think God is against role models. As long as it remains healthy. But being an idealist, I often end up disappointed by human beings, and God comes up to make me realize I won't really find what I seek there.

I also have had famous role models, but those are deeply frustrating ones, because you never get to meet them, or quite rarely. I like someone accessible. My ultimate purpose in a role model would be to make friends with them and learn from their wisdom by spending time with them. It keeps you grounded, and God knows NFs need to be grounded !

Usehername

On a mission
I definitely need role models and seek them. When I've found one, I get such an emotional and soulful grip on them that I often have to confess it ends up like idolatry. I'm a Christian so I struggle about this sin all the time.

Role models/mentors are actively encouraged in the bible. The way I have understood idolatry in terms of my faith is to go by these ideas (not mine):

Idols are perceived value centres of love, power and pleasure that create rating scales, tell us who and how good we are, and tell us how much we deserve to be rewarded with love, power and pleasure.
It's important to recognize that all of these things that give us value are good things; we're supposed to receive these rewards from God, though. The difference of God and idol rewards is the unconditional vs. conditional aspect; this is key. We can never be fulfilled by idol rewards; they aren't qualified to judge what only God can.

And so a role model can be an idol, if one uses this role model to determine their worth.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm more concerned about being myself. :) No need to try and live up to someone else's image.

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
Role model mimicking is very real for me. I often read/watch characters in books or movies, or observe a person in real life, and identify him or her as "perfect." Being more like that person sort of becomes a project. I find myself reguarly thinking things like, "remember to do this," or, "what would . . . do?"