User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I'm going to have to agree that ENFPs are awesome mimics. I'm going to extend that to ENTPs too (the ones I know are as good). It's an Ne talent.

As far as conciously trying to be someone we worship... I doubt it. I'll imitate an expert violinist, or the mannerisms of my best friend, but I will never try to be someone I'm not. In the end it's like the song says, I'll do it my way!

Aspiring Troens Ridder KLessard's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    My understanding of the idolatry issue as it relates to Christianity is just that you should not let anything become more important than God--that's the point at which you're creating idols in that sense. I don't think having a role model is the same thing.

I've always had role models, ever since I was a kid. It's just always been a natural thing for me to do. They're usually not people I know, though. Usually, it's someone famous that I admire for one reason or another, and I just take the parts I admire as inspiration.

Yeah, C.S. Lewis thinks the same. He says a person you admire or love deeply is not necessarily a god, since you don't believe he/she has created you and can do for you what the Almighty can do. But a person that fills up your life in the way God should, and you seek in that person this sort of satisfaction is still idolatry in a way. But I don't think God is against role models. As long as it remains healthy. But being an idealist, I often end up disappointed by human beings, and God comes up to make me realize I won't really find what I seek there.

I also have had famous role models, but those are deeply frustrating ones, because you never get to meet them, or quite rarely. I like someone accessible. My ultimate purpose in a role model would be to make friends with them and learn from their wisdom by spending time with them. It keeps you grounded, and God knows NFs need to be grounded !

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by KLessard View Post
    I definitely need role models and seek them. When I've found one, I get such an emotional and soulful grip on them that I often have to confess it ends up like idolatry. I'm a Christian so I struggle about this sin all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    My understanding of the idolatry issue as it relates to Christianity is just that you should not let anything become more important than God--that's the point at which you're creating idols in that sense. I don't think having a role model is the same thing.
    Role models/mentors are actively encouraged in the bible. The way I have understood idolatry in terms of my faith is to go by these ideas (not mine):

Idols are perceived value centres of love, power and pleasure that create rating scales, tell us who and how good we are, and tell us how much we deserve to be rewarded with love, power and pleasure.
    It's important to recognize that all of these things that give us value are good things; we're supposed to receive these rewards from God, though. The difference of God and idol rewards is the unconditional vs. conditional aspect; this is key. We can never be fulfilled by idol rewards; they aren't qualified to judge what only God can.

And so a role model can be an idol, if one uses this role model to determine their worth.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm more concerned about being myself. No need to try and live up to someone else's image.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Four

Role model mimicking is very real for me. I often read/watch characters in books or movies, or observe a person in real life, and identify him or her as "perfect." Being more like that person sort of becomes a project. I find myself reguarly thinking things like, "remember to do this," or, "what would . . . do?"