• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] What is the (Practical) Purpose of INFPs?

A

Anew Leaf

I cringe at the emoness of the title and the following paragraph(s), but I am being quite serious.

One reason for my inquiry is because I have been looking into different career ideas for myself, and I feel bombarded with a sense of "nothing practical applies to me."

Another reason is a "compliment" I got from an ENTP friend of mine recently who said "Saturned, you would make an awesome girlfriend because you are lots of fun.... but a terrible wife because you wouldn't do the iron my shirts and home cooked breakfast deal." I didn't even know how to reply other than to look like this:

lowls_lol_wut_20_more_Lowlz-s450x316-166726-580.jpg

But it did get me thinking about how practical am I, really? (For it is true, I loathe ironing, and while I love cooking, I am not confident that I can whip out 3 meals a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, and 60 years of a marriage without needing a lobotomy.)

Disclaimer: I don't ask this in that I seek external validation for who I am because I am pretty happy with how I have turned out so far. I just sincerely want to know what others think about INFPs, and INFPs themselves, and if there is a practical application to our glittery, pegasus riding selves.

TL;DR:
Please share your opinions, both good and bad, about INFPs or glitter or unicorns or something.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Nope, INFPs are NOT practical. Period :D

I suspect that somewhere in their forties, their Te will start to kick in and then they will eventually become productive members of the society -- but before that, forget it.

On a more serious note, I think INFPs can become very practical about things they care about. So when someone comes along that you love, you'll be taking care of them far better than you expect, especially once you have kids. It might not be stellar-quality home-cooked dinner every day, but you'll be able to give all the love and care that matters way more than three perfect daily meals. You might not be the perfect employee who makes millions for the company, but your honesty and kindness will win over people and help the workplace become better for everybody. Fi draws its strength from a magic, ever-flowing inner well of love, and when its power is harnessed properly it can achieve many great things :hug:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Very caring, accepting, laid back and loving. (Well, not the angsty ones, but you in particular, along with a lot of other INFP's.) Something not involving a lot of detail. Do you like animals? Well, yes, I know you like animals, but do you love animals, even if not your cute fuzzy avatars or your own? Maybe try working for an ASPCA or another shelter, or anything related to that field? Are you going back to school?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They make good trophies. Only the upper class can afford to own and maintain such an impractical thing as an INFP.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They make good trophies. Only the upper class can afford to own and maintain such an impractical thing as an INFP.

I know it. I was hoping they would award me with one when I purchase my very first Roth IRA... or at a discount with the purchase of a Porsche.

(Turns nose up) "Ahhhh yes, I had a lovely weekend out on the yacht with the President and my INFP."

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think INFP's can and do become more practical when needed. I don't know how far out of ones element that might take them, how hard or stressful it would be, but I suspect that it would be highly individual.

I was the most undomesticated person ever for most of my 20's. Friends of mine started to become "homey" in their early to mid twenties.. I was still burning holes in my pans trying to cook mac n' cheese at 26. I never had enough focus or patience for cooking, was really bad at laundry (at times, I'd just go buy a new outfit instead of deal with my laundry monster) My friend gave me a cactus because I couldn't keep a plant alive no matter what.

But then I got tired of living in apartments, and so my guy and I started renting out houses. And then we ended up letting friends that needed a place rent a room. And then I ended up letting my school age brother move in. So all the sudden, I'm in a house with all these wouldn't know a casserole from their ass kinda guys, and I just picked up the slack. And it was kinda fun! We'd have people over and all experiment in rolling sushi together. I'd find neat, creative recipes, and it would be an experiment for me. I did get a little nazi-ish from times.. I had to get a big white board and write down who's chores were who's.. and if they didn't do it.. they did get seriously bitched at by me. I worked during the day and went to school in the afternoons, so by the time I got home I'd expect shit to be kept up. And usually it was. I'm way too domesticated and practical now. You'd be surprised just how practical you can become when it's either pay your bills or see your internet get shut off. Set aside money for food or don't eat. Put money into an account to travel, or don't go anywhere fun. NFP's may not be the most practical but we learn quick when we lose our freedom and fun time.

Chores do suck. I have personally come to accept that I don't want to live in a house, I don't need that much space, I hate yardwork and every other maintenance type task. When and if we can ever sell our house, I totally plan to buy a condo closer to the city. Doing chores is a drag.. I'd always rather be reading or online or watching movies or socializing, working out, etc. So I know that for me, it is a wise choice to set aside extra money to have someone come to my place and straighten things up every other day. Getting into raw foodism has helped tremendously to not have to worry about indepth recipes, etc.. but I do still cook a few times a week for fun, when I'm up for it.

I know two INFP's IRL, both are or have been married, and both have children and do very well at it. I think INFP's are at their best in that role. I'd imagine that once you have a child, only then could you understand how much of your own selfish interests are unimportant in comparison. I think NFP's in general are great in supporting, loving roles.. good partners, parents, and do very well in any kind of service type industry or artistic pursuits. I decided some time ago that I just can't realistically survivie on any of my hobbies for now.. so I have to have a stable job to make those other things happen.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know it. I was hoping they would award me with one when I purchase my very first Roth IRA... or at a discount with the purchase of a Porsche.

I know, right? FYI, if you ever find yourself in a position of getting one, make sure they have their papers. You don't want to get an undocumented one and end up with an ENFP or something like that ;)

Saturned, I dunno what INFPs are like IRL. I know that if I ever get in a really serious relationship again, it'll be with somebody interesting. I can already cook and clean for myself, as everybody should. INFPs are definitely interesting.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know, right? FYI, if you ever find yourself in a position of getting one, make sure they have their papers. You don't want to get an undocumented one and end up with an ENFP or something like that ;)

Saturned, I dunno what INFPs are like IRL. I know that if I ever get in a really serious relationship again, it'll be with somebody interesting. I can already cook and clean for myself, as everybody should. INFPs are definitely interesting.

Oh my Gosh, No kidding. I heard in the news once, nice wealthy fellow bought a brand new Lamborghini- Took whatever extra INFP that came with it, without looking further into the situation, woke up the next morning, and found out that the Lamborghini (and add-on) were gone, and the dealership had given him an ENFP!!!!! What a nightmare. :doh:
True story.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Sometimes it's not about a 'specific career path'. Look outside of 'career' when considering what things an INFP can offer the world. I personally think that many INTP's and INFP's have a gift for teaching, instructing, informing, offering fresh insight and perspective into the problems/situation of life - and insight/perspective into life itself. When I mention these things - like teaching for instance - I don't "necessarily" mean in a classroom or even in a group setting. Think about the 1-on-1 discussions you have with your friends and family members. Undoubtedly, without even realizing it, you have offered them very helpful insights and perspectives throughout your relationships with them - you have taught them. Because of the curious nature of INxP's - always questioning, always digging, always turning over the next rock to see what might be underneath it, always observing, always considering, contemplating, pondering, etc, we are many times able to offer a unique perspective that many others would not have considered.

Think about ESxx types - they love being part of the "action" of life. It's been my experience that they can teach us many things about being practical and productive, and even about interacting with people. But, it's also been my experience that we can teach them by offering our unique perspective, things that they may have never even considered before. We are the ones standing back, away from the action and observing. That approach to life automatically gives a different perspective, a different world-view if you will, from the person who is action oriented. So, we can help them, they can help us. I think INTP's can teach, instruct, inform, and offer insight/perspective to others in regards to "things", "stuff", systems, how to think through problems, etc. But, INFP's can do all those same things as it pertains to people, humanity, compassion, forgiveness (!!), etc. The non-logic side of things. While the INTP is more geared toward justice and truth, the INFP is more geared towards mercy and the subjective side of life. Both have their place. To embrace one and reject the other would be to sacrifice something. Both viewpoints are necessary in this world.

By understanding who you are and what traits you possess that are unique to this world, only then can you begin to look at careers that will enable you to use those traits. What career will enable you (or give you an avenue) to teach, instruct, inform, offer insight, offer perspective, etc? Writers are able to do those things through their writing. Counselors are able to do those things. Therapists. Speakers. Aquarium/shark tank tour guides can teach, educate, and inform people about the shark kingdom. These are all very real, practical, and tangible careers. People do these things every day and you too have access to these careers. Also remember, however, that your career - no matter which one you choose - will never FULLY encompass who you are. When you go home on the weekends or when you are with friends and family and even encounters with strangers - you are still able to teach, instruct, offer insight/perspective, etc.

Purpose = 24/7/365
Career = 9-to-5 or some other limited amount of hours.

Try to line up career with purpose so that they blend in nicely with who you are and what you enjoy doing. :D

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Also, sometimes easier said than done, but try to approach it from other people's perspective as well. Instead of viewing it only from the perspective of "what job will make ME happy", view it from the perspective of "what does the world need me to do? What can I offer?" Who do you think would do a better job:

(a) the Congressman who gets into politics because he knows he has the ability and the drive and the knowledge to make a positive impact on the nation, the state, and his constituants, the people he serves and represents.
(b) the Congressman who gets into politics because it'd be cool, he'd have lots of power, prestige, and a good pension, and be well known.

I'd argue that some of the problems you see in politics today (world, national, state, local, university, etc.) are because too many people approached their career with perspective (b). If you can realize your unique talents and skills and then parlay those things into something that focuses on benefitting the world around you and the people living in it, then I think things fall into place quite nicely. Not only are you benefitting the world and people in it, you'll end up happy yourself.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
INFP's make great parents because they are so in touch with their children's feelings. Do you remember Mr. Roger's Neighborhood? He was an INFP, and charmed millions of children on TV. INFP's are so creative. You just need to find a job that will use your creativity and give you a nice ISTJ secretary to take care of the details.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Cook, clean and iron clothes? Bah. A maid can do those things, but they can't provide spousal nurturing and deep bonding*. Think about that. ;) :hug:

Sometimes it's not about a 'specific career path'. Look outside of 'career' when considering what things an INFP can offer the world. I personally think that many INTP's and INFP's have a gift for teaching, instructing, informing, offering fresh insight and perspective into the problems/situation of life - and insight/perspective into life itself. When I mention these things - like teaching for instance - I don't "necessarily" mean in a classroom or even in a group setting. Think about the 1-on-1 discussions you have with your friends and family members. Undoubtedly, without even realizing it, you have offered them very helpful insights and perspectives throughout your relationships with them - you have taught them. Because of the curious nature of INxP's - always questioning, always digging, always turning over the next rock to see what might be underneath it, always observing, always considering, contemplating, pondering, etc, we are many times able to offer a unique perspective that many others would not have considered.

Don't you know? If you can't turn your natural talents into a high-paying career, you are unworthy of love or compassion. Get on with the program, maggot! :rules:

* Unless they are the love interest in a certain genre of anime. But then they'd be robots or aliens as well. Can't win 'em all... :shrug:

A

Anew Leaf

Nope, INFPs are NOT practical. Period :D

I suspect that somewhere in their forties, their Te will start to kick in and then they will eventually become productive members of the society -- but before that, forget it.

On a more serious note, I think INFPs can become very practical about things they care about. So when someone comes along that you love, you'll be taking care of them far better than you expect, especially once you have kids. It might not be stellar-quality home-cooked dinner every day, but you'll be able to give all the love and care that matters way more than three perfect daily meals. You might not be the perfect employee who makes millions for the company, but your honesty and kindness will win over people and help the workplace become better for everybody. Fi draws its strength from a magic, ever-flowing inner well of love, and when its power is harnessed properly it can achieve many great things :hug:

Haha! *tosses out broom, mop, and vaccum in favor of more glitter, pets, and astronomy books*

I like your serious note. :hug:

I guess my friend's comment just threw me for a loop because we weren't even talking about anything near that. (Sigh @ ENTP Ne-ness... At least his wife hit him for me :D.) I can well understand what he means by it since at first glance I am not going to be Mrs. Susie Homemaker. I look at my friends who are parents though and the sheer amount of organization and details that are required to keep track of one kid just floors me. I stayed over at friends' last night and I woke up early when their daughter woke up too. It was quite the hilarious INFP adventure of me trying to figure out exactly what she needs in the morning. At least this time I put the diaper on the right way :doh:! :)

Very caring, accepting, laid back and loving. (Well, not the angsty ones, but you in particular, along with a lot of other INFP's.) Something not involving a lot of detail. Do you like animals? Well, yes, I know you like animals, but do you love animals, even if not your cute fuzzy avatars or your own? Maybe try working for an ASPCA or another shelter, or anything related to that field? Are you going back to school?

:wubbie: SnS you sure know how to make an INFP gal feel Fe ;).

I do like animals. I like even non fuzzy cute baby animals. (Sharks!) I am still debating on the school issue. I was talking with my ENFJ friend last night about 100 different things and she suggested I look into writing children's books. Animals + Writing + Amazing INFP'ity = Win!

I am hesitant on going back to school because it will be a major investment money wise. I just gotta steer my Fi boat through these rapids a bit longer I think. :D

LOL! We also aren't materialistic so they would be able to continue to afford these things. Just so long as they would buy me a shark or a pony or name a star after me.

INFP seeks astrophysicist for mutal awesomeness that benefits ze me.

I think INFP's can and do become more practical when needed. I don't know how far out of ones element that might take them, how hard or stressful it would be, but I suspect that it would be highly individual.

I was the most undomesticated person ever for most of my 20's. Friends of mine started to become "homey" in their early to mid twenties.. I was still burning holes in my pans trying to cook mac n' cheese at 26. I never had enough focus or patience for cooking, was really bad at laundry (at times, I'd just go buy a new outfit instead of deal with my laundry monster) My friend gave me a cactus because I couldn't keep a plant alive no matter what.

But then I got tired of living in apartments, and so my guy and I started renting out houses. And then we ended up letting friends that needed a place rent a room. And then I ended up letting my school age brother move in. So all the sudden, I'm in a house with all these wouldn't know a casserole from their ass kinda guys, and I just picked up the slack. And it was kinda fun! We'd have people over and all experiment in rolling sushi together. I'd find neat, creative recipes, and it would be an experiment for me. I did get a little nazi-ish from times.. I had to get a big white board and write down who's chores were who's.. and if they didn't do it.. they did get seriously bitched at by me. I worked during the day and went to school in the afternoons, so by the time I got home I'd expect shit to be kept up. And usually it was. I'm way too domesticated and practical now. You'd be surprised just how practical you can become when it's either pay your bills or see your internet get shut off. Set aside money for food or don't eat. Put money into an account to travel, or don't go anywhere fun. NFP's may not be the most practical but we learn quick when we lose our freedom and fun time.

Chores do suck. I have personally come to accept that I don't want to live in a house, I don't need that much space, I hate yardwork and every other maintenance type task. When and if we can ever sell our house, I totally plan to buy a condo closer to the city. Doing chores is a drag.. I'd always rather be reading or online or watching movies or socializing, working out, etc. So I know that for me, it is a wise choice to set aside extra money to have someone come to my place and straighten things up every other day. Getting into raw foodism has helped tremendously to not have to worry about indepth recipes, etc.. but I do still cook a few times a week for fun, when I'm up for it.

I know two INFP's IRL, both are or have been married, and both have children and do very well at it. I think INFP's are at their best in that role. I'd imagine that once you have a child, only then could you understand how much of your own selfish interests are unimportant in comparison. I think NFP's in general are great in supporting, loving roles.. good partners, parents, and do very well in any kind of service type industry or artistic pursuits. I decided some time ago that I just can't realistically survivie on any of my hobbies for now.. so I have to have a stable job to make those other things happen.

Haha! I have killed air ferns before. :whistling: I actually do very well with pets (because they move and make sounds and I like petting them) but plants..... such silent, silent horrors.

Once I hit ~30 I did get a lot more practical so far as paying bills (auto pay is the win) and being responsible on not burning my home down. Maybe I will continue to grow in practicality as my life conveys its course through the wending concourse of cumulus clouds.

Chores... I am so sporadic on these. Some days I get into a super "J" mode where everything is spotless (this usually coincides with anyone coming over to my house announced)... and then other days I live like a hobo on a bed with no sheets because I am too lazy to spend 2 minutes putting them on my bed.

:heart:

I am interesting. That is a good word for me. INFPs IRL... we are kind of like Big Foot - we may or may not exist. Actually I don't know what that means but I am too lazy to delete it so you're welcome.

I find that I am extremely random, even for Ne-dom types that I meet. Either these ENPs aren't used to another Ne-er running around them, or I am some bizarre hybrid mix of xNFP. Last night I met a new ENTP and in the course of a ten minute conversation we covered: tv show quotes, board games we like, why women have to get new breast implants every so often, and ended with me talking about how some women's chests get so large they form their own gravitational pull and you can see raisens orbitting them with microbes on the raisens celebrating birthdays as the sun of overhead lighting marks the years as they traverse the woman's torso. He was like, wow... I have literally never had that conversation before and I am not even sure how we got there.

Where was I?

Oh my Gosh, No kidding. I heard in the news once, nice wealthy fellow bought a brand new Lamborghini- Took whatever extra INFP that came with it, without looking further into the situation, woke up the next morning, and found out that the Lamborghini (and add-on) were gone, and the dealership had given him an ENFP!!!!! What a nightmare. :doh:
True story.

That was me. :c

P.S. Amish wagons > Lamborghini.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I think you should re-phrase his statement and say you wouldn't be a stereotypical wife... Which is anything, but bad.

A

Anew Leaf

Think about ESxx types - they love being part of the "action" of life. It's been my experience that they can teach us many things about being practical and productive, and even about interacting with people. But, it's also been my experience that we can teach them by offering our unique perspective, things that they may have never even considered before. We are the ones standing back, away from the action and observing. That approach to life automatically gives a different perspective, a different world-view if you will, from the person who is action oriented. So, we can help them, they can help us. I think INTP's can teach, instruct, inform, and offer insight/perspective to others in regards to "things", "stuff", systems, how to think through problems, etc. But, INFP's can do all those same things as it pertains to people, humanity, compassion, forgiveness (!!), etc. The non-logic side of things. While the INTP is more geared toward justice and truth, the INFP is more geared towards mercy and the subjective side of life. Both have their place. To embrace one and reject the other would be to sacrifice something. Both viewpoints are necessary in this world.

By understanding who you are and what traits you possess that are unique to this world, only then can you begin to look at careers that will enable you to use those traits. What career will enable you (or give you an avenue) to teach, instruct, inform, offer insight, offer perspective, etc? Writers are able to do those things through their writing. Counselors are able to do those things. Therapists. Speakers. Aquarium/shark tank tour guides can teach, educate, and inform people about the shark kingdom. These are all very real, practical, and tangible careers. People do these things every day and you too have access to these careers. Also remember, however, that your career - no matter which one you choose - will never FULLY encompass who you are. When you go home on the weekends or when you are with friends and family and even encounters with strangers - you are still able to teach, instruct, offer insight/perspective, etc.

Purpose = 24/7/365
Career = 9-to-5 or some other limited amount of hours.

Try to line up career with purpose so that they blend in nicely with who you are and what you enjoy doing. :D

Intriguing. I have never considered that I actively am teaching others anything. (hey look you are doing what you are describing! :mind blown: ) I definitely think I am constantly learning from others through my interactions with them.... I just didn't apply the idea to the flip side. :doh:

Hmm, I gotta think on this post and your second one some more. I ran out of time earlier and my brain is currently mush.

:offtobed:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Another reason is a "compliment" I got from an ENTP friend of mine recently who said "Saturned, you would make an awesome girlfriend because you are lots of fun.... but a terrible wife because you wouldn't do the iron my shirts and home cooked breakfast deal." I didn't even know how to reply other than to look like this:

Douche.

You can pay people to iron things, and breakfast out means no washing dishes and an endless variety of options. The ENTP-friend stance is full of fail.

Marriage/relationships are not about what practical things the other person can do for you.

Your friend is no true Scotsman, a true ENTP would recognise that fun trumps practical, what's more, if you are currently able to take care of yourself without requiring intervention in the form of a nurse clothing or feeding you then you can continue to do so in a relationship without being reliant on the other person taking over those tasks.

ENTP-friend wants a wife who can double as a house-maid, no issues, there are women out there who would enjoy doing those things for their husband, but women who do not are not therefore bad marriage material, they're just not right for men who want a wife to play that role.

My father, and an ex-housemate were INFP and neither would run a successful maids business, oh no they wouldn't, but they were fun and interesting which unlike the former are not things that you can buy.

Douche. I don't mean that in a nasty way, but :yes:

Elfa

Señora Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Psychology can be practical and is something recommended for INFPs. And I'm studying that. Psychologists can work in human resources, and that can give plenty of money, if you get a good job. But we have to remember that it would be in a corporation (is that word right?), and I guess INFPs may not usually feel confortable in places like that. They can also work in clinics, and I'm not sure of the incomes, but I think they can be good...

I don't think I could be a housewife without going crazy... I just don't like doing the house chores... Even haveing a job, I'd rather try hard to save some money to pay someone to do those things to me, or sharing the chores with someone, like my husband. My husband will have to share the chores with me. I just won't do everything alone - if I have to, I'd rather stay single... ><

About unicorns, I like them. I like Charlie, the unicorn.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
does snuggling count as a practical use?
:hug: :hug: :hug:

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
There is none.

We cause pain and destruction wherever we go. Not intentionally. But that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

BURN THEM ALL.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One friend once told me there are 2 types of people; the ones that work because they like their work and the ones that work in order to do what they like. Thing is, the best risk/reward route probably won't the the most fun route. Getting a liberal arts degree may be fun, but it is gonna be much riskier than an engineering degree.
I opted for the best risk/reward route. I plan to do what I really like doing in the future but my main concern is getting settled. I think you would make a great writer. At the same time, the route is riskier.
INFPs have a lot of potential. They just lack confidence sometimes. :)