User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Default F vs T: Cultural Value

Being surrounded by doctors and scientists 8 hours a day 5 days a week, I have a vague feeling that Ts are both regarded as and regard themselves as superior (not personally) to Fs. Do you in your respective countries and social circles share this experience, and why do you think that is/isn't? (Note: I'm not asking which is "better", 'cause that's outrageously lame.)

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I think nurture plays a role in our perceptions of different personality traits. I came from a family where T values were considered good and F values were considered immature and useless. This, I think has made me lean more towards T at times, even though I am naturally an F.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    Being surrounded by doctors and scientists 8 hours a day 5 days a week, I have a vague feeling that Ts are both regarded as and regard themselves as superior (not personally) to Fs. Do you in your respective countries and social circles share this experience, and why do you think that is/isn't? (Note: I'm not asking which is "better", 'cause that's outrageously lame.)
    I must admit, I'm a little put off the value statement in the thread title. Its kind of a leap from the OP... but I guess you cleared it up on the "better"... anway:

I think you're probably right on that although I think people are embarrassed to admit it and don't feel comfortable talking about it, myself included. And, you're also right that it isn't personal. All that thinking washes away in individual friendships where there is plenty of conversation to prove it wrong. I think it probably stems from the subject matter that "Fs" and "Ts" find interesting and comfortable with. I'm speaking in general society... certainly not on an MBTI group nor one with so many college students where the topics are so varied and go so indepth. If I brought most of those up irl, I'ld be more suspect than I am now.

Anyway, society just sees certain subjects as cereberal and credits those interested or proficient in them with "intelligence." I'll use my experience in school as an example... Physics, Math, and other Sciences, as well as Philosophy majors were seen as the nerdy intellectuals. Whereas, those in the Arts or Performing Arts, etc weren't. Of couse, its obvious what the preponderance of types were in what fields by interest. But, naturally, put a "T" in an area where an "F" is proficient and they'll more than likely look pretty ignorant... in fact I think I've seen some finger pointing and chuckling right here. I do have more ideas on it but might unknowingly hurt someone as I don't know if its stereotyping.. don't want to offend.. so I'll wait until others give some input.

MBTI
    OMNi

T = systemization, task oriented
    F = empathizing, people oriented

You need both because they play an equally important role in life. We had a guy in my high school who was the epitome of a T and who earned a perfect score on both his SAT and ACT. However, his people skills were so bad that he could not function in the real world. I also had a friend who was the epitome of an F, but she found it incredibly difficult to learn anything new or keep a job. I find those who embrace the T are often lonely and disgusted with the world, whereas those who embrace the F are often ignorant and emotional. A balance makes a developed human being and I pity those who are so underdeveloped that they think they are somehow superior for embracing one side over the other.

The culture I came from embraced both facets and I consider myself lucky because of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I have worked many years in a place where Ti & Te are the dominant functions of the whole organization. That made me feel very inadequate because I knew I didn't fit in and I felt I wasn't good enough. So I started to develop myself to become very strong Te. I did succeed in developing my Te quite much until quite many different things happened in my life. After those times I started to realize that I'm no Ti or Te dominant person and I won't be. I realized what I was and I'm not trying to be something I'm not these days. I'm happy with myself and I appreciate myself as I am. Of course, there is always some personal development needed and not to say here that I wouldn't need any work with myself these days. There is always room for improvement but by accepting you core self it is much easier to live with yourself.

MBTI
    INTP

I don't think Fs are superior at all; I know many Ts who do though. Logic has its limit, as does feeling.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Who has said anything about F being superior?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    Actually, I am not sure Ts regard themselves as superior to Fs. I wouldn't know why your particular Ts give that impression to you.

If I had to guess, they may be confusing the T vs. F scale for the calm vs. limbic scale (from SLOAN/Big 5, but left off the Myers-Briggs). Being limbic can lead to neurosis.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Actually, I am not sure Ts regard themselves as superior to Fs.
    I think what the orignial post meant is that people with F preference can feel themselves very uncomfortable in T environment (and vice versa of course) because it feels like nobody understands my reasoning and I don't understand the reasoning of the majority.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

as cliche as it sounds, it's all about balance.

strong Ts are unfit because they're not aware of their ideals and can't navigate social situations.

strong Fs are unfit because they don't know how things work and can't strategize effectively.

i find myself feeling sorry for most people (=feel superior to them), anyways, regardless of whether they're Ts or Fs . since i'm strong in Fe and Ti, i can almost always completely understand people from either side of the spectrum, and change my conversation style to better match their assumptions.

not trying to say that i'm perfectly balanced...i'd rather have strong Te and Fi than Fe and Ti.