User Tag List

Default Anyone else experienced this?

I'm not depressed or anything, but lately it's like I can't seem to feel anything. I'm sure I have feelings, maybe they're just repressed, pushed into my subconscious. And I still seem to act differently depending on my mood, even though I can't seem to consciously feel anything. Interestingly, when I listen to music it seems to help awaken my emotions, but as soon as the music stops, I revert to emptiness. This has actually happened to me a few times before, and it seems to be a phase that passes. Has anyone else experienced this?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Are you by chance sleep deprived? Sounds like me when I haven't slept for an extensive period of time.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Oy. I think that I shall just follow you around now and comment on all of your threads. Bet you wish that you'd never written on my 'Type Me' thread- it's like treating the nerdy kid well. You think that you're doing a good deed but then they become so emotionally clingy that you end up going crazy.
    /end pointless tangent
    Yes, I very much relate to what you're talking about. I will say that not as much with the music thing- for me, the veil lifts a lot more when I'm reading a book that really 'hits it' for me- something that I really love in literature. Other than that, I feel a really deep sense of apathy and overall... emptiness as well. As you said, I don't necessarily think that it's depression-related. There are times in my life when I have been a lot more 'down' and 'blue' than I would consider myself to be now. However, it's still sort of interesting to be experiencing this. All my emotions feel like music heard through the floorboards. I feel the same things, but they feel really faint, like I'm feeling things I felt a hundred years ago. Nothing's very strong. My mom got really upset at me about a week ago and was saying some things that I intellectually realize are probably really hurtful, and maybe at another time would have made me feel really down. But now... it was like water off my back. I feel nothing strongly, or, as you said, conciously. I've sort of viewed it as a positive thing, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Are you by chance sleep deprived? Sounds like me when I haven't slept for an extensive period of time.
    Nope, I've been getting plenty of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Oy. I think that I shall just follow you around now and comment on all of your threads. Bet you wish that you'd never written on my 'Type Me' thread- it's like treating the nerdy kid well. You think that you're doing a good deed but then they become so emotionally clingy that you end up going crazy.
    /end pointless tangent
    Yes, I very much relate to what you're talking about. I will say that not as much with the music thing- for me, the veil lifts a lot more when I'm reading a book that really 'hits it' for me- something that I really love in literature. Other than that, I feel a really deep sense of apathy and overall... emptiness as well. As you said, I don't necessarily think that it's depression-related. There are times in my life when I have been a lot more 'down' and 'blue' than I would consider myself to be now. However, it's still sort of interesting to be experiencing this. All my emotions feel like music heard through the floorboards. I feel the same things, but they feel really faint, like I'm feeling things I felt a hundred years ago. Nothing's very strong. My mom got really upset at me about a week ago and was saying some things that I intellectually realize are probably really hurtful, and maybe at another time would have made me feel really down. But now... it was like water off my back. I feel nothing strongly, or, as you said, conciously. I've sort of viewed it as a positive thing, though.
    Interesting. I've never really considered it a positive thing before because I really do want to feel something. I can't seem to get excited or enthusiastic about anything, and I'm not bothered by things that would make most people sad. It's just this emptiness that seeps in occasionally, and in fact I've mistaken it for mild depression before, but it seems depression and emptiness are two very different things.

It could be the phenomenon known as depersonalization, which I get. Read up on it and see if it sounds familiar.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    It could be the phenomenon known as depersonalization, which I get. Read up on it and see if it sounds familiar.
    I don't think it's that. I still feel like myself, I just can't seem to feel any kind of strong emotion.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    INFj

Yes, normally when I've been stuck in my head for too long. Maybe you need a change in routine?
    Everything that I express is simply an opinion with varying levels of support

If I seem like a different type to you, I hereby give you permission to type me however you want.

Quote Originally Posted by SRT View Post
    Yes, normally when I've been stuck in my head for too long. Maybe you need a change in routine?
    Maybe you're right. I do need to stop living in my head and get out more. I wonder if it's an e5 thing...

Actually, this is kinda cool. I've never had such emotional control. I wonder where this came from?