User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Default Tip of the Iceberg

I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience. It usually takes me an hour of lying in bed to fall asleep, during this time I can't help but think. Sometimes I will find myself thinking of things that grow more and more abstract, and as the ideas get get more abstract the succession of thoughts leaps from one to the other faster and faster.

Here's the interesting part, at one point I will have an emerging thought that feels so big, but as I close on the idea I instantly forget my whole thought process and what I was thinking about, like a sensory overload.

I can relate the result to the scenario of if there were a crowded room with only one door. There's suddenly a fire and everyone tries to rush out the same door, but because everyone is pushing in the direction of the opening, everyone is gridlocked into place. It feels like my brain locks up.

I've had this happen to me on rare occassions, but only recently in the last few months. I was wondering if other people had similar experience.
    Last edited by BallentineChen; 04-05-2008 at 03:23 PM.

Yup. It happens to me a lot.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Yes, I can relate to this. Also during showers, and when I'm listening to music with headphones. It is like -- after a while I just become tired of the thoughtflow and get on with the sleeping or shower-taking. For this reason I'm never sure about how much time I "waste" in a shower before deciding I've had enough with the "warm-up" phase and getting to shampoo my hair etc because I'm like "oh..." once I realize it.
    Not really.

This happens to me, which is why I always go to sleep with the television on. It's a distraction to make my brain stop thinking. The sound and light from the TV are not nearly the impediment to sleep that my thoughts are.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    This happens to me, which is why I always go to sleep with the television on. It's a distraction to make my brain stop thinking. The sound and light from the TV are not nearly the impediment to sleep that my thoughts are.
    Glad to know I'm not the only one using TV that way.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Maybe I'm in my head too much.. this also happens to me quite often.

I'd rather be stuck in thought loops than leave the TV on at night.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

yeah, this happens to me a lot. Especially before I sleep as well. I've been telling myself for 10 years to place a notebook next to my bed to write down these thoughts, but I never did.
    Sensory overload is a huge problem for me every once in a while. But it reminds me of the phyical nature of my being & it's an alarm that tells me I need to do something entirely mindless to relax. Sensory overload is like my homeplanet telling my spaceship to come down.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    yeah, this happens to me a lot. Especially before I sleep as well. I've been telling myself for 10 years to place a notebook next to my bed to write down these thoughts, but I never did.
    I've thought of that too. But in the morning they might just turn out to be thoughts equivalent to being very high.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by BallentineChen View Post
    I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience. It usually takes me an hour of lying in bed to fall asleep, during this time I can't help but think. Sometimes I will find myself thinking of things that grow more and more abstract, and as the ideas get get more abstract the succession of thoughts leaps from one to the other faster and faster.

Here's the interesting part, and one point I will have an emerging thought that feels so big, but as I close on the idea I instantly forget my whole thought process and what I was thinking about, like a sensory overload.

I can relate the result to the scenario of if there were a crowded room with only one door. There's suddenly a fire and everyone tries to rush out the same door, but because everyone is pushing in the direction of the opening, everyone is gridlocked into place. It feels like my brain locks up.

I've had this happen to me on rare occassions, but only recently in the last few months. I was wondering if other people had similar experience.
    No, never, unless I had very hard events during the day! Otherwise, I just fall asleep as soon as I am in my bed!

Yeah, if its too quiet in the room at night, its like I fill up the emptiness by chattering to myself and I can't stop thinking. I usually turn on the fan or open my window...the sound makes the thoughts die down.
    Introverted (I) 57.14% Extroverted (E) 42.86%
    Intuitive (N) 66.67% Sensing (S) 33.33%
    Feeling (F) 61.54% Thinking (T) 38.46%
    Judging (J) 51.22% Perceiving (P) 48.78%

Your type is: INFJ