User Tag List

123 Last

Default INFP's secret desire to be center of attention?

Hey, this is my story. I do get energized at the thought of being the center of attention, being a rockstar, pro sports-star and I crave people to cheer me on or feel sympathy for me. But when I am actually in a situation like a party, being the center of attention makes me nervous and I do not handle it very well. I think I am an introvert who wants to be the center of attention without actually talking to the people (thats why I want to be a music star, sports star, someone performing for a crowd) but I do not like it at parties. I seem to want this attention infront of a large crowd.

Someone told me that INFP's have a hidden agenda to be the center of attention - is this true?

heart on fire

Not for me. I like a lot of one on one attention with people, but I hate being the center of attention of a group. Worst thing imaginable.

INFP usually want their loved ones to recognize something unique about them I think.

Well, it sounds like you just want a lot of love and praise. Who doesn't feel good when they're boosted up by a bunch of people? Who HASN'T imagined being super famous for something the world over?

If you always need to be interacting with people, it's iffy that you're an introvert, but wanting to be famous and boosted up, to me, doesn't indicate either an introvert or an extrovert: it just means you're human and want to be special and leave your mark like most other humans do.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

heart on fire

Do most people *really* want to be famous? I would never want to become well known, I would hate to lose my privacy of my real name and location. I would be okay with being a well known writer under a penname though.

Look at the hell famous people go through...no privacy. Would be hell for an introvert.

Thanks for the response.

I'm very confused because I always want to interact with people and get energized at the thought of going to a party but once I'm at that party I am very shy and have a hard time starting conversation. It's like I transform from extreme E to extreme I, haha. Maybe that's why I want to be famous so badly, I can be the center of attention w/o actually talking to people? Oh and I posted this here because I'm an xNFP.

heart on fire

Do you feel energized by being in the big group even though you feel a bit shy and nervous?

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Do you feel energized by being in the big group even though you feel a bit shy and nervous?
    Yes! I just stink at conversation, that's why I want to be a sports star/music star - I get the attention but don't have to do any talking. I sometimes have thoughts about getting injured during a sports match and people being worried about me. I'm a weirdo, maybe I just wasn't loved by my mother enough...

heart on fire

Sounds like you are a shy extrovert.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Do most people *really* want to be famous? I would never want to become well known, I would hate to lose my privacy of my real name and location. I would be okay with being a well known writer under a penname though.

Look at the hell famous people go through...no privacy. Would be hell for an introvert.
    Well, I agree. I think aside from the harsh face of fame, being praised and boosted up seems like a pretty sweet deal. If you could remove all the negatives of fame (loss of privacy, large masses of people pouring their hate on you once they see a weakness, people treating you almost inhumanly), I think most people would enjoy being considered special, talented, and worthwhile by a large population of people. Leaving a mark and establishing a legacy seems like a pretty worthwhile thing, even if it's usually only a fleeting desire. I think a lot of people think it would be pretty sweet to be considered famous posthumously, like Hemmingway, Longfellow, etc.

Basically, it's just a very human desire to want to be liked, to want to belong, to want to be supported and cared for by others, and the most positive side of fame is that something about you is considered worthwhile by many people. That side of fame is something I think most people would enjoy. I'm not saying everyone wants to be famous, because, as you pointed out, even I look at the negatives of fame and don't want fame because of it, but the self-esteem boost of fame is something I can understand daydreaming about.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

I never thought of that. I guess that makes sense. Because I do get energized by other people but I have a hard time opening up (honestly doesn't happen unless I'm drinking) and I have a difficult time speaking loudly. Guess I'm an ENFP then?

If this helps - I'm always trying to be like someone else and I can adjust my personality to any type (I just "sense" their style and act like them naturally to minimize conflicts) - is this an ENFP or INFP thing?