User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    Absolutely. I'm one of the latter.

As am I. Those contexts are very specific, but sometimes I surprise myself with how gregarious and outgoing I am at those times.

And then there are other times when I'm so shy that I can't speak.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    Absolutely. I'm one of the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    As am I. Those contexts are very specific, but sometimes I surprise myself with how gregarious and outgoing I am at those times.

And then there are other times when I'm so shy that I can't speak.
    I'm the same way. Sometimes it feels like I'm contradicting my self, but really it can be quite refreshing. It's made me ponder about the I/E dichotomy before, but by now I'm certain of the introversion preference.

On topic, I'm more INFJ than INFP, but I find being the center of attention a troubling possibility most of the time, as I pretty much can't "carpe diem" my way through such situations if I'm not in some way prepared for them.
    Not really.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by FaboVI View Post
    Hey, this is my story. I do get energized at the thought of being the center of attention, being a rockstar, pro sports-star and I crave people to cheer me on or feel sympathy for me. But when I am actually in a situation like a party, being the center of attention makes me nervous and I do not handle it very well. I think I am an introvert who wants to be the center of attention without actually talking to the people (thats why I want to be a music star, sports star, someone performing for a crowd) but I do not like it at parties. I seem to want this attention infront of a large crowd.

Someone told me that INFP's have a hidden agenda to be the center of attention - is this true?
    The concept of attention intrigues me but I have a hard time accepting any sort of praise in reality. Like Heart, I enjoy attention in smaller groups rather than larger groups.
    I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.

MBTI
    INtP

Hey, this is my story. I do get energized at the thought of being the center of attention, being a rockstar, pro sports-star and I crave people to cheer me on or feel sympathy for me. But when I am actually in a situation like a party, being the center of attention makes me nervous and I do not handle it very well. I think I am an introvert who wants to be the center of attention without actually talking to the people (thats why I want to be a music star, sports star, someone performing for a crowd) but I do not like it at parties. I seem to want this attention infront of a large crowd.

Someone told me that INFP's have a hidden agenda to be the center of attention - is this true?
    I think, like folks have already said, that everyone has a desire to be appreciated, and the "good" parts of fame are appealing. But I don't think that you can equate being a rock star or other type of famous performer to being the center of attention at a party. When you're performing, you're not really "a part" of the crowd, and there's a very different dynamic going on then when you're expected to socialize - you can focus on the performance instead of maintaining social concerns, etc.

I don't think that it would be particularly unusual for a very shy or introverted person to prefer being on stage than a focus of a party. It definitely applies for me, anyway.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't like attention focused directly on me in crowds or with people I am not close to, though I sometimes have felt the need to prove my worth to people who don't know me well by achieving some sort of success. I don't know why I would need other people to validate my sense of self. (Usually I don't much care what people think about me.)

MBTI
    infp

Speaking for myself, I love to perform. I love the sound of cheering. When I hear cheering at the beginning of a live record... I love it. Its not a secret desire or anything, its totally upfront. I love to play my guitar for people. I love to do presentations for people in classes. I love to make people laugh.

I think, as others have said, there is a totally different dynamic between socializing and performing. Socializing you are immersed in a group, but performering you are still seperate. I think maybe introverts kind of work in the extreme ends in that sense; either receive information (sitting quietly and observing/thinking) or giving information (doing a speech or performance). This is why small groups are preferential (giving and receiving is more controlled).

Maybe this is also related to how some INFP's want to inspire others. For example, I'd love to use music to inspire people, and performing would be one way to do that.

I don't think its a "I want everyone to love me" type thing, or centre of attention... maybe its just one way the need to express one's self materializes.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

It depends on what I'm expected to do. If I have to talk off the cuff, then no, get me out of the spotlight. If it's my birthday and everyone is singing and cheering, then yes, gimme some sugah baby. If I'm singing or reciting a poem, I have more control over the intention of what I'm saying - entertainment and inspiration vs. persuasion or argument - so am more comfortable.

If I'm facilitating a small class for vulnerable clients, I can rise above my anxiety and focus on serving their need. If I have to give a speech or even lead a meeting for colleagues, supervisors and executives, the anxiety level markedly increases.

In general, I much prefer dyads over groups, even triads. Someone's attention is always divided, even among 3 close friends. Then there's the drain on introverts of extraverting one's energy and attention. It's draining to be the center of attention because, while it may be obvious that everyone is paying attention to me, what's not so obvious is that I feel an obligation on some level to pay attention to everyone in return. And that can be overwhelming to my ability to regulate my energy.
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Not for me. I like a lot of one on one attention with people, but I hate being the center of attention of a group. Worst thing imaginable.

INFP usually want their loved ones to recognize something unique about them I think.

I totally agree. Being the center of attention would scare me half to death.

Then again, thats the very big "I" showing itself :P

I make a lot of friendships, but I'm not a "crowdish" person. I prefer the small groups and when the opportunity presents itself for 1 on 1, I jump at it
    Introverted (I) 53.57% Extroverted (E) 46.43%
    Intuitive (N) 54.55% Sensing (S) 45.45%
    Feeling (F) 65.63% Thinking (T) 34.38%
    Judging (J) 63.64% Perceiving (P) 36.36%

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

--Albert Einstein

No...
    Shy ENFPs that think they're INFPs, maybe.

It's the INFP's worst nightmare, really.
    Though they do want to be recognized and cared about, I think.
    Introverted: 100%
    INtuition: 95%
    Feeling: 58%
    Perceiving: 89%

5w4 sp/sx

INFP.gc

MBTI
    INFP

It might also have to do with enneagram. You might be a 4x3.