User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default INFJs: Do you like your career/job? If so, what do you do?

I've switch jobs/careers often and am wondering what fellow INFJs enjoy doing for a living, or at least what fellow INFJs find interesting enough to stay with long-term.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

I'm a high school teacher. Sometimes the job sucks, but I mostly enjoy it.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Sigh.

I'm a Business Systems Analyst right now. I love certain aspects of the job -- the systems testing. Finding breaks and code/design flaws and interacting with tech to get things resolved. I like the part where everything's totally broken and a disaster, because it keeps me interested and it's not boring. When we're done testing, and back to script-writing/requirements-reading until the next code release, I'm totally bored and I get really disillusioned about my job. But, it is the best [permanent] job I've had since graduation, and all in all it's pretty good. I can't figure out anything else I'd rather do anyway. :-) It's one of my constant life dilemnas. The job thing. The fact that I have to make a living!

I'd rather be able to make a living just traipsing through nature and photographing, though. :-) Or painting. Or something fun/inspiring like that.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I'm a graduate student... in pharmacology (doing research involving drugs).

And no... I'm not enjoying it too much. Hoping to get out from research as soon as I get my degree.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I've been doing the housewife thing for the better part of the last 15 years. It's okay.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFJ

Huh, painful topic in my life right now...

I haven't found anything I feel I could stick with, so far, except my childhood, recurrent, and impractical dreams: writing and drawing. Those are honestly the only jobs I can see myself doing for more than a few years. Everything else typically feels like it would be interesting for a few years, and then I'd get bored sick with it. That's what happened with my previous job.

I *hate* being like that.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Might take a little while to get more responders on this topic, but - I know that over my years of teaching (almost four now), I have integrated my job into my identity. I am not a person who teaches - I am a teacher. I'm not sure whether that's a feature of the job (because it seems to me that most teachers make it part of their identity) or part of the personality type (I guess it could be both). I know that I do have a great need for whatever it is that I'm doing to be something with which I identify strongly.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Might take a little while to get more responders on this topic, but - I know that over my years of teaching (almost four now), I have integrated my job into my identity. I am not a person who teaches - I am a teacher. I'm not sure whether that's a feature of the job (because it seems to me that most teachers make it part of their identity) or part of the personality type (I guess it could be both). I know that I do have a great need for whatever it is that I'm doing to be something with which I identify strongly.
    I resonate very strongly with that. I have to feel like I *am* what I am *doing*: that's how strongly I need to relate to what I do. When I say "I want to be a writer", for example, that means far more than just "I'd like to make a living out of writing books". Making a living out of writing books would almost be a positive side-effect: the REAL point would be to live and breathe Writing.

Sniffles

I'm currently a factory worker. Not exactly my ideal career. On good days, I'll have plenty of time to contemplate various stuff that flows through my mind. But too often I'm physically and mentally exhausted throughout the day.

I originally planned on joining the military, but health issues disqualified me from service. I now realise that I'm not suited to the general culture of professional armies.

Yes, I would love to be a writer. LOL this must be some INFJ obsession, since I see it so often.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Four

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I'm a high school teacher. Sometimes the job sucks, but I mostly enjoy it.
    what subject and what level do you teach? you sound rather dispassionate about teaching -- may i ask what made you decide to take that path in the first place?

i'm not an infj, but listen to me ramble anyway.

currently, i have a part-time job at a retail store that i enjoy very much. it's not particularly challenging -- quietly folding clothes folding clothes for four hours on end gives me time to think. unfortunately, i'm never given enough hours, so i'm searching for a second job.

as for the future, i'm looking at career with the U.S. Dept. of State. pros of a career like that are it focuses greatly on travel/foreign culture, as well as allows me to have some sort of influence in bigger picture today's world.
    "Why had he never appreciated what a miracle he was, brain and nerve and bounding heart?"