User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Tophsquatch View Post
    I have a question for all you out there disallusioned with Christianity...have you ever tried a different Christian church? A different denomination? You may find what you're looking for there...not all churches are the same, believe it or not!!

> I am formally Catholic.

>I adopted the Nazarene denomination because I was seeking God and I couldn't find him in the Catholic Church (no offense to any Catholics here, I still hold a great respect for many aspects of your Church).

> After two years, I dropped the first Nazarene church I attended because I did not believe the Spirit was there anymore.

> I now go to another, Nazarene church (because I love the doctorine of holiness) with a Pastor can bring on a sermon like no other and it is evident to me that the Spirit is with him and is present there.

> I also attend a Covenant "super church" called Bayside; I consider the Nazarene church my home church (it gets first dibs in ministry), but I also go to Bayside for Saturday night services and Sunday night singles group (which consists of like 100 singles).

I take my church very seriously; I do not leave one lightly and I'd prefer to not leave one at all, but I follow God and there have been times in my life where it's been evident He wasn't where I attended. Great blessings have followed the times when I did follow him.

I urge you folks...before putting down Christ altogether, if you haven't already, seek elsewhere to try to attend. We NFs aren't Guardians!! Stuffy church doesn't do it for us!! God is not stuffy!!
    OK, so that killed the convo.

Guess not many Christians around hey!

MBTI
    ENFP

I am a christian, come from an evangelical family but I am more my own religion now because i've been so disallusionned with churches or so.
    I believe all the traditional things on Jesus, savior of the world and my personal savior too but I have a broader and non-fondamentalist point of view on bible interpretation. I love going to anglican churches. I get the feeling of being back to the roots without all the fake freedom of evangelical churches who turnes out to be extremly traditionalist, more than anglican churches.

MBTI
    xXxX

Hi,
    I am new here. Nice topic.
    I believe that religion and spirituality can be combined, therefore the reason I chose Sufism or Islamic mysticism.
    Here is an explanation of what it is:

Australian Centre for Sufism and Irfanic Studies - Sufism / Irfan
    It also talks of Love, Peace and respect for the creation of God.
    Australian Centre for Sufism and Irfanic Studies - Tasawwuf

The purpose of Creation is to find and worship the ONE TRUE GOD. There is only One God. God says "I was a hidden treasure wanting to be discovered, so I created creation".
    “The life of this world is nothing but a play, whereas, behold, the life in the hereafter is indeed the only (true) life: if they but knew this!” - Qur’an 29:64
    I believe in:
    - One God;
    - the angels;
    - the Holy books revealed to us by God (though most except quran have been distorted to some extent);
    - the Prophets sent to us by God to give His message of Divine Oneness (including Mohammed, Jesus, Moses, Abraham, Jacob, Isaac, etc etc may peace and blessings be on all of them);
    - destiny (both good and bad comes from God-though we are responsible for our actions);
    - and Day of Judgement (where what we did on earth we will be accountable for- then either Heaven or Hell awaits us).

So we should refocus on whats important. That we should find and worship the one true God to make our life on earth peaceful and meaningful, while saving ourself from eternal damnation.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    So my inquiry is:
    How many of NFs that you know find peace in spirituality and religion, or are there any Atheists NFs there? If so, wouldn't it go against their core being of being an Idealist??

I am agnostic, but deeply fascinated by different religions and find it interesting that they all attempt to answer the same questions in different ways. Of course they don't reveal any ultimate truth. I want there to be an actual reason for my existence, and for that of the universe, but I would feel like a hypocrite if I chose to believe something just so I could feel at peace.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I find it amusing that suddenly "we should"s (not "I should"s) and "I urge you"s are appearing in responses.

Not sure what that means. Just interesting that others appear to be trying to get people to ride in their boat? I could be interpreting the words wrong, of course. But I felt it needed to be said.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

I will be honest and say I have been rather fucked up by religion. Maybe not religion per se but by patriarchy in the guise of religion (and also family) specifically.

My type preferences (while I was unconscious of them) likely contributed to the ease with which I was manipulated, coerced and fear-mongered into accepting (at least on the surface) dogma that was uncomfortably ill-fitting to my core values and ideals.

But these same type preferences (once I became aware of them and their potential benefit) have become the way out - the means of escape from what I can only describe as a life of imprisonment. Built by others to be sure at first, and then self-perpetuated. The admission that I kept it going does not make me weak but strong. It means I can change it.

Ignorance is no excuse. But knowledge truly is power.

As for spirituality . . . that is something I am in the process of exploring. Actually, it's more like recognizing . . . I have a feeling it's been there all along, underneath all of the dogmatic crap, and that this is what I was seeking all along. It's not over yet.
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

The practice of my religion is, to some extent, habit and my intellectual stance is agnostic as I said, but my faith is not some dead habit I lack the energy to throw off. My belief in and love for Christ is strong, if quiet. He is my lord and my God.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    The practice of my religion is, to some extent, habit and my intellectual stance is agnostic as I said, but my faith is not some dead habit I lack the energy to throw off. My belief in and love for Christ is strong, if quiet. He is my lord and my God.
    i kinda feel this way too

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post

2. Looking for peace and meaning in other 'spiritual' outlets, eg Bhuddism and Taoism. Which is all feel good philosophies without any accountability or code of living the practical side of life.

I'm not Buddhist though I've been raised around it, and it continues to intersect my life. I would consider myself a functional agnostic. My limited knowledge of Buddhism tells me that it's not a "feel good" religion. I'm wondering how you arrived at that conclusion.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by BallentineChen View Post
    I'm not Buddhist though I've been raised around it, and it continues to intersect my life. I would consider myself a

Similarly in Islam, there are laws that govern the external side of life, eg the Shariah law. This includes again crime and punishment, banking, international law, etc etc.

functional agnostic. My limited knowledge of Buddhism tells me that it's not a "feel good" religion. I'm wondering how you arrived at that conclusion.

Hi BellentineChen,
    Sorry for getting back to you so late.
    Firstly, let me make clear that I am in no way insulting Buddism and no way intend to hurt feelings of any Buddists.
    What I mean to say was, it was 'feel good' in the sense that it focuses a lot on spirituality and on the self, compared to other religions. Other religions have laws that deal with the external realities of life also. Such as crime and punishment, legal issues, social dealings, finance etc etc.
    For example:
    In Judaism, there are strict laws derived from their Holy books that cover many issues that are on everyday practical sense and not just the spiritual side of things.
    In Christianity as well, there are biblical laws eg. Stoning an adulterer.
    "They shall be stoned with stones, their blood shall be upon them." -- Leviticus 20:27

There are a tremendous number of things you can get executed for in the Bible. "Homosexuality, adultery, astrology, being a disrespectful child, being a drunken son, blasphemy, breaking the Sabbath, perjury, incest, bestiality and witchcraft." And stoning was often the execution of choice. Taken from source: The Toughest Laws in the Bible -- Stoning for Adultery and Other Crimes - Asylum | For All Mankind

Similarly in Islam, there are laws that govern many aspects of the external life, eg, crime and punishment, international law, finance, social dealings etc etc.

Again I am not putting down any religion, but just comparing them.

So I was comparing Bhudism to other major religions where there are not many laws that govern that external lives of people, but rather the focus is only on the self.
    So in my personal view, that covers only one side of the coin, because a person is not just an individual, because there is also society to cover.

I hope that answers your question??