User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 49

  1. #31
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I do remember watching a documentary in HS about female genital mutilation ("circumcision") & about how women in the middle east are often blamed & shamed for being raped, etc. That struck me. It's because I wasn't really aware of such things, not that vividly. It didn't bring me to tears, but I felt the weight of it and it became a part of my view of the world. It's like making a big collage over time & every now & then you step back & see it as a whole, and it gives you a whole vibe. That whole vibe can hit you at once, giving you a sudden & clearer perspective as you see how it connects & overlaps.
    I very much relate to this. The big picture/overall vibe, as you say, can be very overwhelming at times.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  2. #32
    Undisciplined Starry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I do not think NFs have a monopoly on world compassion. Mother Theresa was ISFJ, Princess Diana may have been ISFP. I know SJs who won't stop talking about 9/11 ten years after it happened, and these are people who lost no relatives or friends there.

    I reached a point where I think there has to a balance between compassion and allowing yourself to feel overwhelmed by the suffering in the world, because sitting in your bed crying about tragedies isn't helping anyone, it isn't doing anything to prevent it from happening again.

    Do you see what I'm saying? It's important to have compassion, never lose it, but I think there's a possibility that people suffering from depression or other issues may project their own feelings or grief on to world tragedies or celebrity deaths, and they're really not able to stop crying because they've got a pre-existing issue (not necessarily chemical, but something as simple as still grieving over the death of a loved one) that they're venting those feelings through the tragedy.

    If it truly hurts you that much, and it's not just depression or whatever, then do something about it.
    This post was interesting to me...especially this last line. And I'm honestly asking you Marm (or anyone else) for your input. Like, what do you suggest doing? I really want to know. I mean, I hate this term...but I really do think there are people that are Empaths. Like, perhaps they are depressed as well...but the depression has stemmed from being an Empath in the first place (and no...I do not think this is type related). So what do you do? Get a thicker skin? Detach? Do drugs (prescription or otherwise?). Help me out here.

  3. #33
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StarryKnights View Post
    This post was interesting to me...especially this last line. And I'm honestly asking you Marm (or anyone else) for your input. Like, what do you suggest doing? I really want to know. I mean, I hate this term...but I really do think there are people that are Empaths. Like, perhaps they are depressed as well...but the depression has stemmed from being an Empath in the first place (and no...I do not think this is type related). So what do you do? Get a thicker skin? Detach? Do drugs (perscription or otherwise?). Help me out here.
    I think if you're so depressed that you can't even function, that yes you need therapy and perhaps medication or simply a huge change of lifestyle.

    Yes, you should detatch - which is both a mentally and spiritually mature thing to do, I don't think there's anything wrong or unhealthy about compassionate detatchment, in fact most of the world's religions teach it, and Eastern philosophy certainly does, which is something I would think would appeal to many NFs.

    If you center yourself, then you'll be better equipped to actually alleviate suffering in small ways, or even do big things to make a difference in the world.

    What's the point of being empathetic if you just stay in bed all day.

  4. #34
    Undisciplined Starry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yes, you should detatch - which is both a mentally and spiritually mature thing to do, I don't think there's anything wrong or unhealthy about compassionate detatchment, in fact most of the world's religions teach it, and Eastern philosophy certainly does, which is something I would think would appeal to many NFs.

    If you center yourself, then you'll be better equipped to actually alleviate suffering in small ways, or even do big things to make a difference in the world.
    Okay...this speaks to exactly what I have been thinking about/moving towards/working on. And it helps to have it said to me by someone else. I really appreciate that.

  5. #35
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StarryKnights View Post
    Okay...this speaks to exactly what I have been thinking about/moving towards/working on. And it helps to have it said to me by someone else. I really appreciate that.
    Things that have really helped me: therapy (depression) and Taoism. But first I stopped watching the news and started reading it instead, and only read it moderately, not obsessively or all day long.

    I also came to the conclusion that if I just help people in small ways whenever I can, that's far better than sitting around feeling bad that I can't do huge things to change the world.

    In my case I think my abilities include doing practical things for people, like helping them in physical tangible ways when they are near me, and writing and speaking about things to bring it to the attention of others. I have accepted that it's not in me to be a revolutionary or even Oprah Winfrey.

    There are so many ways to help other people: feeding them, giving them clothing, doing charity work, listening to them or giving support. It is my opinion that things that school shootings start with little things, with things that are going wrong on a personal, fundamental level.

  6. #36
    Senior Member sciski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    468

    Default

    I relate to the OP and it's probably why I don't keep up with the news as much as I should.

    Haha, I even relate to Sparrow about the drama in cooking shows... if I see someone on TV crying, I IMMEDIATELY cry with them. It's annoying because I know that they're just manipulating me, but dammit, I'm still tearing up!

    However, you can learn to 'shield' yourself from some of the emotions (really important for empaths), and also be practical by not searching out more information about the stories that impact you. It's just too easy to find information these days, and this can really fuel an obsession.

  7. #37
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    I don't watch the news because it's always depressing. This often makes me feel out of the loop but that is the trade off. Ignorance is bliss.

  8. #38
    Freaking Ratchet Rail Tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    I watched the news and read it a lot.

    I think I might just be desensitized. It might be sad, but these things just happen. And for some incidents, it happens all the time. It is sad that people died in a plane crash or a burning building, it is just all I can really do is relay my sympathies for the families affected.

    If it was someone close that died or got hurt, I would definitely cry.

  9. #39
    Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    I tend to feel sympathy when watching such things but its more of a detached sympathy. It is the difference between knowing I'm sad and feeling sad. I suppose this could sound cold but rarely does that stuff really get into my heart. I tend to think about it in more objective, matter-of-fact, intellectual terms. It doesn't necessarily mean I care less, it just doesn't upset me to hear about it.

    Its like how my ISFJ Mum and I react differently depressing movies. She dislikes them (and attempts to avoid them) because they pull too much on her heartstrings and leave her feeling extremely dejected. Whereas I get caught up in the story and the emotions of it but afterwards I can separate myself from it and don't feel down or upset - I think about the story in rather pragmatic terms. In fact, I admit I rather enjoy depressing movies - they somehow feel more true.

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I do remember watching a documentary in HS about female genital mutilation ("circumcision") & about how women in the middle east are often blamed & shamed for being raped, etc. That struck me. It's because I wasn't really aware of such things, not that vividly. It didn't bring me to tears, but I felt the weight of it and it became a part of my view of the world. It's like making a big collage over time & every now & then you step back & see it as a whole, and it gives you a whole vibe. That whole vibe can hit you at once, giving you a sudden & clearer perspective as you see how it connects & overlaps.
    I SO GET THIS.

    I can be watching a programme about something terrible and tragic on a huge scale but it has no marked effect on me, but then some moment, possibly even a nondescript one, makes it all hit home - then I feel it profoundly. Often I can't fully explain why, its so undefinable. Its just being struck by a moment of intense emotional truth. The delivery of it is so important. Too many news items sensationalise or go for the dramatic over the top stuff. I must admit watching the stuff on the famine in the Horn of Africa lately has managed to really hit an emotional chord with me. I think its because they have these women telling individual stories that were just so brutally tragic but expressed in such an understated way, as if it were just an everyday thing. After that, and pictures of vacant-eyed, skeletal infants, I confess even I got teary-eyed.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

    I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

    - Emily Bronte

  10. #40
    Senior Member Simi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    103

    Default

    You know, the news affects me to a certain degree.

    I do feel bad for the families and people affected by the terrible occurrences, but on the same hand it doesn't seem to affect me as badly as it does the rest of my family.
    The rest of my family can't even watch the news anymore, it makes them feel so sick.
    I remember I once mentioned trolling happening on a Memorial page for this girl my age who had been in a terrible railroad accident and died, and how about three thousand trolls were on her page posting terrible things.. My family worried sick about it for about three days, my sister even ended up writing an article about it.

    I guess I just am in my own world most of the time, because it didn't affect me NEARLY as bad and I was the one who mentioned it in the first place.
    Your epidermis is showing. <3

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] NF and ADD
    By GZA in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-06-2011, 06:46 AM
  2. [MBTItm] NF and NT... drawn together like moth to flame
    By sakuraba in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 251
    Last Post: 05-08-2009, 04:00 PM
  3. [INFP] NFs and pride, conflict, attitude?
    By Cindyrella in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-27-2008, 07:23 AM
  4. [NF] NFs and religion
    By Cordiform in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 12-01-2007, 02:15 PM
  5. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-16-2007, 01:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO