User Tag List

First 891011 Last

Results 91 to 100 of 106

Thread: Why I hate INFs

  1. #91
    Senior Member Viridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    MBTI
    IsFJ
    Posts
    3,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    I'm thinking if you truly believed the things these people care about are "menial", then you wouldn't be at all susceptible to feeling guilty about them. If you really think voting and recycling are worthless, then you wouldn't be bothered by people who do consider these activities important. If you really felt that sticking to a healthy lifestyle is "what matters", and that this is far more important than silly old social responsibility or whatever it is that the INF people you know care about, you would take pride in your own choices and values and brush off their objections. The fact that it bothers you enough to start a thread complaining about how they make you feel bad suggests to me that you have your own niggling doubts about your choices.

    And I'm not saying you have to make the same choices they do. I don't always vote, etc. But you can either decide they're right and make more of an effort, or decide it isn't important enough to worry about and...not worry about it.

    Kind of what OrangeAppled was talking about. The guilt is yours. It comes from you. Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent, yada yada yada.
    I do wonder - can an INFx feel guilty about stuff other INFxs do? Is that common?

  2. #92
    (blankpages) Xenon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I do wonder - can an INFx feel guilty about stuff other INFxs do? Is that common?
    I don't see why not. It's a pretty natural reaction if someone's taking a strong stand on something you're doing or not doing, and it seems they might have a point.

    I'd think if an INF does encounter this, s/he'd be less likely to sweep it under the rug, or rationalize it away, or get annoyed at the person for being self-righteous. They'd want to consider it and decide how important it is and where it fits into their lives and their value system. And perhaps mature INFs have gone through this process so much already that they've already done this with most issues, so when something like this comes up they've already given it the consideration it needs and made a decision on it, and so don't get uncomfortable over it. All speculation, btw.

  3. #93
    011235813
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I do wonder - can an INFx feel guilty about stuff other INFxs do? Is that common?
    I'm not sure what you mean here, Viridian. Do you mean feeling guilt or shame on someone else's behalf when they do something wrong, or feeling guilty about the same things other people feel guilty about?

  4. #94
    Senior Member Viridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    MBTI
    IsFJ
    Posts
    3,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean here, Viridian. Do you mean feeling guilt or shame on someone else's behalf when they do something wrong, or feeling guilty about the same things other people feel guilty about?
    I meant more along the lines of the original post - feeling ashamed or guilty because of people who are more ethical, genuine, passionate, etc., than you... blankpages suggested that INFxs generally value those characteristics, so I imagined that they might feel more envious of others who possessed them in abundance... Does that make more sense now?

  5. #95
    011235813
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I meant more along the lines of the original post - feeling ashamed or guilty because of people who are more ethical, genuine, passionate, etc., than you... blankpages suggested that INFxs generally value those characteristics, so I imagined that they might feel more envious of others who possessed them in abundance... Does that make more sense now?
    My guilt typically arises out of an inability to meet my expectations of myself. Is this exacerbated on looking at people who have succeeded where I have failed? Yes, but the core issue is still the failure to live up to my own standards.

    I try not to compare myself to others too frequently. Yes, other people have a lot of qualities that I wish I possessed, but I've learned that I'm far happier taking pleasure in my talents than dwelling on my shortcomings, so I try to do that to the best of my capacity.

  6. #96
    Senior Member Viridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    MBTI
    IsFJ
    Posts
    3,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    My guilt typically arises out of an inability to meet my expectations of myself. Is this exacerbated on looking at people who have succeeded where I have failed? Yes, but the core issue is still the failure to live up to my own standards.

    I try not to compare myself to others too frequently. Yes, other people have a lot of qualities that I wish I possessed, but I've learned that I'm far happier taking pleasure in my talents than dwelling on my shortcomings, so I try to do that to the best of my capacity.
    I understand, senza, I didn't imply it was healthy.

    It's kinda like an NF macho contest:

    "I drive an electric car."
    "Oh yeah? I use environmentally friendly shopping bags!"

    "I dislike Star Trek on feminist grounds."
    "Well, I dislike BTVS on queer theory grounds!"

    "I practice economic minimalism, due to my anti-consumerist values."
    "Yeah, bub? I grow my own food due to my anti-corporativist values!"

    And so on.

  7. #97
    011235813
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I understand, senza, I didn't imply it was healthy.

    It's kinda like an NF macho contest:

    "I drive an electric car."
    "Oh yeah? I use environmentally friendly shopping bags!"

    "I dislike Star Trek on feminist grounds."
    "Well, I dislike BTVS on queer theory grounds!"

    "I practice economic minimalism, due to my anti-consumerist values."
    "Yeah, bub? I grow my own food due to my anti-corporativist values!"

    And so on.


    I hate dick measuring contests. Why can't we all just hold hands and sing Kumbaya? [/INF guilt trip]

  8. #98
    Senior Member Viridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    MBTI
    IsFJ
    Posts
    3,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post


    I hate dick measuring contests. Why can't we all just hold hands and sing Kumbaya? [/INF guilt trip]
    Hey, I'm a greater pacifist than you!

  9. #99
    011235813
    Guest

    Default

    *rolls around in the grass crying and being pacifist*

    WE SHALL OVERCOME.

  10. #100
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,586

    Default

    If I had a hammer . . .
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFP] Hate an ENFP? Tell us why!
    By findthejake in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 1133
    Last Post: 12-08-2017, 02:44 PM
  2. [ENFJ] Hate an ENFJ? Tell us why!
    By proteanmix in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 548
    Last Post: 03-03-2016, 02:16 AM
  3. [E5] Why I Hate 5w4s!
    By RaptorWizard in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 11-12-2013, 06:40 PM
  4. Anime. Why the hate?
    By Annyong in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 08-25-2009, 01:47 PM
  5. [NT] "Why do you hate me?"
    By Haphazard in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 01-18-2009, 10:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO