User Tag List

First 7151617181927 Last

Glycerine

Here's a question. What types are not manipulative or "fake"?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Pan-en-theist View Post
    ...our concern for others is contingent upon whether the "beholden" has, first, inklings of a self, and ,second, whether he or she is interested in developing the self's potential.
    Sounds like there are Ni-strings attached to your Fe compassion. Who decides whether the other party has "inklings of a self" or how that self potential should be developed? Fi-users may interpret this kind of statement as well-intentioned paternalism.

NOTE: Please do not interpret my comment as xNFJ bashing. I am merely suggesting another POV.

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    Here's a question. What types are not manipulative or "fake"?
    ALL personalities have the potential to manipulate others - some types may be more "talented" in this area but human beings have an innate desire to influence their social environment and can be quite inventive when it comes to acting on those impulses.

MBTI
    INFJ

Oooo...I go to defend Fe and wouldn't you know I'd invoke an INTP's shadow/anima. Now, we're getting somewhere.
    My Ni experiment of championing Fe worked. I went fishing and I caught a fish. An ISTP, another thinker, started this thread.
    We're doing shadow therapy.
    We must revere nothing if reverence means rigidity, paralysis of inquiry.
    We must revere everything that sincere men revere, if reverence means
    respect made mobile by curiosity and flexible by modesty.

Charles Hartshorne, Beyond Humanism:
    Towards a Philosophy of Nature

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Oooo...I go to defend Fe and wouldn't you know I'd invoke an INTP's shadow/anima. Now, we're getting somewhere.
    My Ni experiment of championing Fe worked. I went fishing and I caught a fish. An ISTP, another thinker, started this thread.
    Good grief. All we're doing is talking openly about one of the functions - Fe. No harm in that right?

Where does all this shadow function and "here come the INTP's" stuff come from? It's just a straightforward discussion about Fe. I think it's time for me to go find a new thread.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Yup. Nothing more than "what's so special about (function)," because even though someone doesn't get it, they can't shake that nagging feeling that it is important nonetheless.

Glycerine

Besides it not an original idea for a thread. These threads are almost always guaranteed to get heated.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    End thread.
    Start thread.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Good grief. All we're doing is talking openly about one of the functions - Fe. No harm in that right?

Where does all this shadow function and "here come the INTP's" stuff come from? It's just a straightforward discussion about Fe. I think it's time for me to go find a new thread.
    It comes from this sense that there is an objective assessment of such things, when there inherently is not. Fe is not fake or manipulative. A person feels fake or manipulative when either invoking or responding to Fe, because it occupies a rejected and devalued role in that person's self-concept. In the fourth position, it's similar to how most children reject taking upon gender norms that run opposite to their own identity, because it's simply "not them." That's what meant by it being the animus/anima position. That childish dislike manifests itself as the inferior function.

Permabanned

+1

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

No, I don't think that's an accurate comparison. If we don't analyze my individual functions - if we just look at me as a person in that moment and ask what I'm thinking or how I feel, the answer would be "I'm feeling very angry, pissed, disrespected, and I want to express that anger to those people." But, instead, I just use Fe and am nice to them (for the sake of social harmony). As I said, it is both fake and non-fake at the same time. It's not fake because I really do want social harmony. It is fake because I'm surpressing my true feelings/thoughts of anger and frustration, but I'm sort of "pretending" that everything is cool. I mean, if we're being real here - there's an element of fakeness about that, IMO.
    Ugh. What if I put it this way: Fe has nothing to do with your own feelings. Suppressing your 'real' feelings doesn't mean you're using Fe. You can suppress your feelings and not use Fe. Or you can express them, and not use Fe, or use Fe either way. It's independent.

The 'fakeness' has to do with suppressing your feelings, but Fe is just a substitute, it's not because of Fe that you're suppressing them.

For your example, you could express your concerns about their tardiness in the form of a lighthearted joke - that'd be filtering it through Fe without being 'fake'.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp