• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] How do ENFJs act when they don't like you, but still want to be polite?

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
How do ENFJ's and ENFP's act when they don't like you, but still want to be polite?

Are they still going to pour on the charm, even if they don't like you as a person?

How in the world can you tell if they truly like you as a person or not?

I really like ENFJ's and ENFP's, but I always feel really insecure around them because I never know if they really like me or if they are just being nice.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Also, do you think either an ENFJ or ENFP would respond well to just being asked? For instance, if I asked them how good of a friend I am, or if I am just an aquaintence, would that be too weird, would they lie, or would they answer honestly?

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
There are a few ways it goes down for me.
I may seem to disconnect from the conversation and become agreeable in a humdrum way, so as to avoid conflict. I'm not as passionate about interacting with the person, and I'll avoid contacting them first or frequently a good amount of the time unless there is an express purpose behind doing so. I don't really express my opinions because I don't feel comfortable doing so.

I may be even more charming and bubbly so as to not let on that there is issue. Those who know me well enough will tend to see through it, but it is walking on eggshells and it is an uncomfortable strain. It loses that real feeling. Apparently it is convincing as all hell though, but it drives me mental. Fe :dont:

My INTJ has mentioned this as of late. I told him that ENFJs are social butterflies and we will cycle through groups of people at a time, but if we come back to you frequently and inquire about you after cycling through.. there are decent odds that you aren't part of the throw-aways that we are assessing the importance of. This is not to say we don't view those people as valuable, but we like to find those who resonate with us and will go into mission mode to find them, but then lose track during the sorting process before remembering who out of our previous interactions was of importance and is missed.
I would say assess if we're being generic or personalized in our interactions with you. Try to see if we are just throwing some base-line Fe in your direction to appease, or if we are really inquiring to develop something more than surface ground. Observe who we gravitate toward in social situations, as we can be fully capable of fending for ourselves with a multitude of people, but we may choose to focus more so on those we like.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Also, do you think either an ENFJ or ENFP would respond well to just being asked? For instance, if I asked them how good of a friend I am, or if I am just an aquaintence, would that be too weird, would they lie, or would they answer honestly?
I feel as though ENFJ would attempt to keep more of a gentle response due to our social graces and tact, but if we truly value who you are as a person we may be inclined to delve into why. Watch out for that one, because it's always a tell-tale sign when I end up going into it.
ENFP may be more inclined to give an honest answer, but ENFP values are also more open-ended in regard to people. Their honest answer may be overshadowed by the fact that they are 'throw it to the wind' sorts in ways.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
They would probably try to manipulate your emotions negatively but they'll do it in a superficially nice way. At least, that's what this "friend" of mine tried to do.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I'm thinking of 2 specific people right now, although there have been more in the past.

The ENFJ says stuff like, "We will be friends forever," "We click so well together," "You are really special to me," touches and hugs a lot and uses a lot of great body language that would indicate a really close friend, but then never calls or initiates getting together. I'm the one who has to do the contact, but then he always acts so delighted that I did. We were at the same event once and the ENFJ talked to absolutely everyone but me, and then when he saw me later he said something along the lines of "Didn't we have such a great time together today?" What? I don't get that at all.

The ENFP does invite me to stuff. We have a really great time together & also talk about personal stuff a lot, like I would with a close friend. She will also call just to talk and for no particular reason. But she seems to have so many friends that I don't know if I'm just one of many or if she actually thinks of me as a close friend. Do ENFP's talk about personal stuff with everyone?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
My sister usually seems tense when she doesn't like someone, like her vibe changes. She's a very "open" sort of person, but she has a frosty judgmental side, she's a human being, and she will pride herself on being restrained and remaining polite and speaking reasonably and she has this thing about not raising her voice, but her vibe is not as warm. It is polite but cold.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I told him that ENFJs are social butterflies and we will cycle through groups of people at a time, but if we come back to you frequently and inquire about you after cycling through.. there are decent odds that you aren't part of the throw-aways that we are assessing the importance of. This is not to say we don't view those people as valuable, but we like to find those who resonate with us and will go into mission mode to find them, but then lose track during the sorting process before remembering who out of our previous interactions was of importance and is missed.

I think this is also very true of my ENFJ bff from high school and my sister.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Interesting that it's the ENFP that asks you to things and the ENFJ that doesn't :laugh:
I think the stereotype is the other way 'round.

For me, it's when I start sharing things with you in private that are unprocessed. Things that are a big deal to me (and not when I'm having a meltdown and you just happeend to be near). Things that I fear I might be judged on. That's when I actually make the transition to actual 'friend'. I may not agree with you on everything, and I may piss you off on more than one occasion, but the fact that I share my vulnerable side with you means I trust you.
An indication I'm fond of you and might be scoping out if I can trust you with that side of me, is that I keep coming back to you, over regular periods of time, to check up on you and talk to you, and not just coz I happen to run into you frequently. I actually seek you out. Typically, I also very much appreciate people who are comfortable enough with me (and I with them) to just enjoy each others presence, without saying anything. Without there being an expectation to 'perform' and be on stage.

mystory

MBTI Type
INFJ
I have an ENFJ friend that I've wondered the same things about. For a long time, they never invited me to anything. We saw eachother frequently because we have mutual friends that do the planning, or I would invite sometimes, but the ENFJ never did. I take that back, a couple of times they initiated planning to help me do something, but not just social activities.
They would always keep in contact with me, so I know they weren't avoiding me, but never made plans to get together. Finally, after a period of time where no one made plans to do anything, they did initiate and start inviting although sheepishly.
Maybe it's because there's no need to plan if someone else is already doing it? Or maybe it's a fear of being turned down if they're not a very secure ENFJ?

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm thinking of 2 specific people right now, although there have been more in the past.

The ENFJ says stuff like, "We will be friends forever," "We click so well together," "You are really special to me," touches and hugs a lot and uses a lot of great body language that would indicate a really close friend, but then never calls or initiates getting together. I'm the one who has to do the contact, but then he always acts so delighted that I did. We were at the same event once and the ENFJ talked to absolutely everyone but me, and then when he saw me later he said something along the lines of "Didn't we have such a great time together today?" What? I don't get that at all.
Hm. I would never say those things to another human being unless I actually thought them. Even if my feeling on that changed, it would still have been genuine when said.
For me, I'll like people a good deal, but then hesitate to initiate a hangout. It's may be being unclear on what to do and what they are fine, or that there is some external reason to potentially avoid. That, or wanting to see if they initiate in order to grasp where the friendship stands to them. Problem being we do get so lost in flitting around sometimes, especially tending to those who don't seem fine on their own.
So it depends, but I wouldn't talk someone up that I didn't like, or there'd be a severe decrease if my opinion changed toward them/the relationship.
My sister usually seems tense when she doesn't like someone, like her vibe changes. She's a very "open" sort of person, but she has a frosty judgmental side, she's a human being, and she will pride herself on being restrained and remaining polite and speaking reasonably and she has this thing about not raising her voice, but her vibe is not as warm. It is polite but cold.
:yes: Definitely. I've found even my mannerisms may change. Making less eye contact, or looking elsewhere more frequently. Trying to bring in another consort to even out the situation, but changing the focus away from the disliked party, even in an inclusive manner.
Typically, I'll want one on one time if I am enjoying someone, or I will want to flit them around alongside me and make them a focal point of discussion.
I have an ENFJ friend that I've wondered the same things about. For a long time, they never invited me to anything. We saw eachother frequently because we have mutual friends that do the planning, or I would invite sometimes, but the ENFJ never did. I take that back, a couple of times they initiated planning to help me do something, but not just social activities.
They would always keep in contact with me, so I know they weren't avoiding me, but never made plans to get together. Finally, after a period of time where no one made plans to do anything, they did initiate and start inviting although sheepishly.
Maybe it's because there's no need to plan if someone else is already doing it? Or maybe it's a fear of being turned down if they're not a very secure ENFJ?
Biggest hesitations for me: Not having a proper gauge on what sort of one-on-one hanging out is accepted by the prosepctive person. Feeling that prospective person is more of a friend to someone else in the group, and that we only hang out in the presence of that other friend.
I have two situations like this presently, where I absolutely adore two ladyfriends, but am only ever around them when my INFP is around. Sometimes we'll try to man up and bridge the gap, but we don't want to step on toes or be awkward about it. Excessive Fe-Ni paranoia, mayhaps?
LOLz @ enfj they seem like players.
Yo dawg, don't hate the player.. hate the game.. :dry: Werd.

Ow lol.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

*scratches head* You never asked why?

mystory

MBTI Type
INFJ
*scratches head* You never asked why?
I gave him some crap about never inviting when he started beating around the bush about doing something without actually inviting me. I think my situation is a little different cause I have a crush on him, so didn't want to push it. Still, it's the same behavior though. It seemed like there was a testing period to see how I'd respond to hints of an invitation, then a joking invitation, then finally an actual invitation once he thought it was a safe bet that I'd say yes??

cranez

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w5

I'm very shy for an ENFJ, not sure if that is me being not as secure as others - however, I will invite anyone that I'm interested in knowing better to everything. Even when there is a small chance I will get rejected. Then that person continues to reject me multiple times - I remove them from my invite list. That usually takes like 3 rejections. Have you ever rejected this person or flaked on a mutual friend in the past out of curiosity?

mystory

MBTI Type
INFJ
Have you ever rejected this person or flaked on a mutual friend in the past out of curiosity?
No, not really. I mean, I haven't always been available to do things, even when I know he's going to be there, but I've never directly turned him down. Of course, my hope is that he's having trouble inviting me because he likes me a little more, so the risk is greater. I'm not sure of this though, thus my constant analyzing of ENFJ behaviors :)

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How do ENFJ's and ENFP's act when they don't like you, but still want to be polite?

I try to avoid them like the plague...I might say a cordial hello if I have to, but that's about it. If I have to talk with them, you will be able to tell how uncomfortable I am! I will look away a lot, and try to come up with excuses to get away some how.

If a random weirdo guy comes up to me while I am out and about, I ignore him for the most part, reply with short answers, and look away a lot, I might even turn my back lol. How rude of me, I know...

Are they still going to pour on the charm, even if they don't like you as a person?

Nope, brick wall!

How in the world can you tell if they truly like you as a person or not?

You will be engaged in conversation, the ENFJ will remain interested in hearing what you have to say, the eye contact will be there. They might also mention you coming along on an outing of some sort if they like you a lot <3.

I really like ENFJ's and ENFP's, but I always feel really insecure around them because I never know if they really like me or if they are just being nice.

Dont feel insecure!! ENFJ's are genuine people :)!

I would definitely answer honestly! I like to talk about feelings and relationships, especially if the other person really cares about what I have to say and how I feel :).

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Like what cranez mentioned....when I don't invite people out its probably because they have turned me down multiple times or have flaked out on me one to many times (one of my biggest pet peeves, being flaked out on SUCKS)! Anyway, I dont want to bother them, makes me feel like a bug-a-boo. I figure if they wanna hang out they will call me....after they initiate and finally come through, I will start asking again!

Another reason: sometimes I go in to hermit mode. I don't want to bring my negative vibe around my friends, so I will keep to myself for a while.

cranez

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I figure if they wanna hang out they will call me....after they initiate and finally come through, I will start asking again!

Sparrow, are you also adamant about them contacting you first even though you REALLY want to hang out with them? I do that often. I'll build a brick wall, no matter how much I hate to, if the person I'm inviting keeps flaking. Then when they finally break it down I get super excited.

Mystory; If he isn't inviting you and you haven't turned him down he may be reluctant to try and snatch up friends of friends. I can get that way - but it's not because I don't like the person - but I also could potentially be weary or don't like them enough to pursue at the same time. I let my friends have their friends and don't try to intrude much on their friendship for fear that my friend may get jealous or pissed off. Any chance of that happening? Or is this several mutual friends?

G

Glycerine

I don't go out of my way to communicate with them. If I really like something about them, I will genuinely comment on it or if they did a favour for me, I try to return it because I believe in reciprocality regardless of how I personally feel about them.