• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Over-analytical & Jumping into Conclusion

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've heard that these are typically ENFPs trait but I happened to be an INFJ and felt I'm always struggling with analyzing every single actions from others too meticulously while constantly jumping into unfavorable conclusions about others--with an attempt to 'fix' them.

This is when all the misunderstanding and miscommunication starts.

Though I just want to know how precisely it differs among other NF types if we all share the these unwanted traits of being over-analytical and jumping into conclusion too soon?

I think being INFJ is just a bit more challenging when we voice our inner-thoughts in such situation with our Fe; whereas ENFPs have the time to sort it out in their heads.

I'm trying to nurture my Fi as it seems that it's the only way from being non-judgmental. For the longest time, I thought sharing my inner-perspective on others based on our intuition is a stepping stone to help to strengthen the bonds in our precious relationships (I believe INFJs don't boder to do this with just anyone, unless they're special to us). However, now I think it's better off to utilize Fi rather than Fe (though this is one of our weakest functions) for INFJs in order to avoid further misunderstanding toward others.

What do you think of this?

P.S.: One thing I really appreciate MBTI typology is that I finally able to understand myself and others better. When I think back all of the unnecessary conflicts, it really has to do with our different sets of functions. For a long time, I've always felt I'm the odd person around (still am), but now I'm learning from all of your contributions via the posts and try to gain a much deeper insight on how our mind work differently. :)

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
That seems like a roundabout way of approaching it. You know, the functions have different names, but I think they can do a lot of the same things if you use them in different ways. Personally, for me-- thinking about myself in the framework of the MBTI / Jungian theory-- Introverted feeling is something that's pretty impossible to express most of the time... it's like a constant engine of personality that's at the base of most of what I do, so it's hard to get to the bottom of it. I couldn't say what effect it has on my relations with others. I think it only achieves good expression when combined with some other function.

So maybe it's not one function by itself but rather in combination with others that allows for interpersonal understanding & communication. Ni combined with Fe would let you use an intricate knowledge of how your own feelings work-- not just awareness of your feelings (which to me is more Fi) but a system-vision of how they're all interrelated & the reasons behind them etc-- in tandem with a sensitivity to other people's feelings & what they need, etc. That would create a connection based on understanding & sorting thru each other's feelings. You can sort of see from that how the "counselor" description arises.

Whereas with an INFP, the connection (ideally) would be about unmediated communication of the feelings, just bringing everything that was buried to the surface, with less concern for overtly sorting them out, which points to the "healer" description.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm trying to nurture my Fi as it seems that it's the only way from being non-judgmental.

You may have something here however... are you judgmental normally? That may be tied to perfectionism. It requires practice to avoid being judgmental. Because it's very related to the self-preservational instinct, wanting to protect your values against outside encroachment. This is almost always delusional, in that you overestimate both the 'purity' of your own values (not realizing the extent to which they arise from particular circumstances in your life) as well as their value, i.e. the relative quality they have even to yourself, how easily & frequently you go against your own values.

But that's sort of beside the point. Judgmentalism usually does lead to misunderstandings, in that it assumes too much division between the self & others. Personally I believe everyone on this earth is more similar than different, therefore I take it for granted that no feeling I could have would be completely incomprehensible to others-- as long as it's properly expressed. I think misunderstanding is usually due to communicative disjunct, ineptitude in expression, ineptitude in comprehension, or otherwise a blinkered, wilfully limited perspective in one or more parties. You have to clear that stuff up moment-to-moment. Some people don't care. But I think it's worth it in the end. :smile:

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I've heard that these are typically ENFPs trait but I happened to be an INFJ and felt I'm always struggling with analyzing every single actions from others too meticulously while constantly jumping into unfavorable conclusions about others--with an attempt to 'fix' them.
I don't think its a particular ENFP trait. Ne makes ENFPs more circumspect about drawing conclusions because they want to assess the other possibilities. They're more inclined to be paralyzed by indecision, what you describe is too rashly making decisions and taking action.

I think being INFJ is just a bit more challenging when we voice our inner-thoughts in such situation with our Fe; whereas ENFPs have the time to sort it out in their heads.

I'm trying to nurture my Fi as it seems that it's the only way from being non-judgmental. For the longest time, I thought sharing my inner-perspective on others based on our intuition is a stepping stone to help to strengthen the bonds in our precious relationships (I believe INFJs don't boder to do this with just anyone, unless they're special to us). However, now I think it's better off to utilize Fi rather than Fe (though this is one of our weakest functions) for INFJs in order to avoid further misunderstanding toward others.

What do you think of this?
I don't think that its a lack of Fi; this is not a necessary factor for good-decision making skills in INFJs. Perhaps its more of an under-developed Ni issue or perhaps problems with how your Fe is feeding Ni. Ni is good at drawing conclusions but if it is fed incorrect or biased information by Fe they won't function well together. Perhaps, you could try taking a step back, and stop yourself from getting swept up in the moment. Take the time to let your Ni stew over things longer and it will point you in the right direction