• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFPs having hypothetical conversations in our own heads

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
I have a tendency to imagine having entire conversations with people I know. For a long time I thought it was some strange phenomenon unique to me, but a few days ago, one of my other INFP friends admitted to something similar. Now I'm beginning to wonder if it's a common occurrence for INFPs (or perhaps other types) to do this. It does seem like a very INFP thing to do.

does anyone else do this, or have any insight on it?

I do these all the time

It is probably because I'm bad at actually talking

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I do it a lot too. I think it's quite common in introverts, maybe INxx types in particular.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As much fun as this sounds, I don't do this. The most I do is playout a conversation from different angles so I have my bases covered. They don't start animating themselves in my head.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think most people do this. I've caught my ISFJ mom talking to herself (mouthing words, not outloud), and it seemed it was a hypothetical conversation.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
All the time. Sometimes I will sit there staring out the window conversing in my head for hours on end - I find it extremely entertaining. I had one that lasted about an hour this morning about the Christchurch earthquake(s) but wasn't imagining I talking to anyone in particular.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I think most people do this. I've caught my ISFJ mom talking to herself (mouthing words, not outloud), and it seemed it was a hypothetical conversation.

Yeah? My ISFJ mom seriously thought I needed to see the doctor about that. She went through a period in which she kept worriedly asking, "Are you with us?" whenever she caught me off imagining something. She doesn't seem to do it at all.

Judging by the reactions I've gotten throughout my life, most people either don't do it or don't do it nearly as often as I do.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah? My ISFJ mom seriously thought I needed to see the doctor about that. She went through a period in which she kept worriedly asking, "Are you with us?" whenever she caught me off imagining something. She doesn't seem to do it at all.

Judging by the reactions I've gotten throughout my life, most people either don't do it or don't do it nearly as often as I do.

It's my impression that my ISFJ's mom's conversations are often revised past conversations; sort of what she wished she would have said. And some are likely conversations she'd like to have, but probably won't. Basically, hers are more grounded in realistic situations & usually involve real people. Nonetheless, they are imaginary conversations.

I admit that I have conversations with people who don't exist regarding matters that are not real, and this might be more typical of INxx types.

ohd1122

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I do this all the time. Like, ALL THE TIME. I don't think this is an INFP thing...I think it's more of an "N" thing (less focus on the real world/real people and moe focus on the Imaginationland in my head)

404 Not Found

MBTI Type
INtP
I am always doing this. Conversations are never over for me. Plus I never have to disagree wtih myself which keeps me on track, if i am ever really on track.

Meek

MBTI Type
Infp
Enneagram
4w5
This usually happens at work, when things are so quiet. (They often are since I work with extreme introverts)
It only happens when I recall an embarrassing situation and I dwell on it and feel as I did at that time.

I mostly have conversations out loud, though when I'm alone. A scenario of how I should handle future confrontations.
The mirror helps a lot and I'm usually standing there having a full on argument with whoever I imagine in the mirror,
then I practice jabbing the mirror. I never do this around anyone, ever. I've never trusted anyone enough to do that.

The funny facial expressions also happen in front of the mirror thinking about making my friends laugh.

( i have huge eyes and a goofy face and I need to learn more, how to make my friends laugh when they're sad)

I think I might need a good example of the conversations in head, then I can possibly remember if this happens to me.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
It's my impression that my ISFJ's mom's conversations are often revised past conversations; sort of what she wished she would have said. And some are likely conversations she'd like to have, but probably won't. Basically, hers are more grounded in realistic situations & usually involve real people. Nonetheless, they are imaginary conversations.

The bolded makes up most of my "hypothetical conversations" actually. They're things I'd like to happen, sometimes involving real situations and sometimes hypothetical ones. The people I imagine having them with are always real though.

Generally, both family members (mostly ISxx types) and my peers at school have considered that strange, and I always figured most other people I knew were far more grounded or engaged in their present surroundings and didn't do that much.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Generally, both family members (mostly ISxx types) and my peers at school have considered that strange, and I always figured most other people I knew were far more grounded or engaged in their present surroundings and didn't do that much.

Well, maybe doing it when other people are around is weird :D
I've only seen my mom do this when I walk in on her in a private setting, or when I was a small child and she probably didn't think I was aware of it.

Sanctus Iacobus

MBTI Type
STP
I am an extrovert but most people I like to spend time with are introverts, so mine tends to be more of a narrative along the lines of the discovery channel.

Sunshiney

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm finally not alone on this! *cries*

Wait, inside your head?
PFFT. I am talking to myself out loud right now and have conversations with myself and others even if they aren't present.
I do this everyday.
All day.
I've recorded myself talking to nobody for 1 hour. It's comforting when you are alone. Although hen I catch myself I tend to stop...
And some of this is taking place in my head too, hahaha.

Meek

MBTI Type
Infp
Enneagram
4w5
I've been observing what I hear in my head lately and it's been songs. I usually hear one song then jump to another in the middle of the first, making an odd combination song.

SpacemanSpiff

MBTI Type
INFP
I think I might need a good example of the conversations in head, then I can possibly remember if this happens to me.

You'd know if you did it.

I've actually found this trait to be useful on long sleepy drives. There's nothing that can keep you awake quite as well as talking to yourself aloud.
It does get frustrating though. I think up some of my best jokes in imaginary conversations and I don't get to make anyone laugh.
Though OCCASIONALLY I'll have a conversation with a real person that parallels one I had with someone I made up. It makes me feel so prepared.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
OMG, I'm like this all the fraking time! Even if I'm preoccupied with something I'll randomly drift into thought, either having a coversation with myself, or imagining a hypothetical conversation between me or another person, or me in some theoretical yet awesome scenario, or me invisioning myself in a funny moment, then laughing about it, and being like, 'shi t I'm glad I'm all by myself so no one notices me randomly breaking into laughter for no reason'.

Anyway, I'd theorize that it has something to do with the personal feelings of Fi being combined in unison with Ne's random off the wall brainstorming, resulting in such illusionary conversations within our heads.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think most people do this, it's quite natural.

krisp

MBTI Type
INFP
Yep yep yep. I do this ALL the time, doesn't everyone else too?

I mean, maybe three quarters of my awake time.

For me, the conversations grow in my head, not in a linear way, but kind of as a tree grows - as I go backwards and forwards replaying different scenarios at different points, and following down all the possible paths - including the impossible ones! And probably even 'following' is not the right word, more like parallel processing - and often in reverse as well, just to check it makes sense both ways. And then mixing and matching sets of conversations with previous ones, like pressing pause and then interweaving trees. Colours and algorithms kind of record values of outcomes, and provide directions. I'm sure everyone does this, don't we?

Actually, if anyone can tell me how to stop it at will - that would help! Usually, I need an external interruption, like when my wife gives me a nudge as she know when I go on my journeys... Sometimes, she lets me travel, but she seems to know when to call me back to common earth.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a tendency to imagine having entire conversations with people I know. For a long time I thought it was some strange phenomenon unique to me, but a few days ago, one of my other INFP friends admitted to something similar. Now I'm beginning to wonder if it's a common occurrence for INFPs (or perhaps other types) to do this. It does seem like a very INFP thing to do.

does anyone else do this, or have any insight on it?

This is called an Active Inner Population. I don't know that it's specific to type.

But many introverts, who aren't as quick on the verbal comeback, will ponder for hours what they "should have said" (or done). This may involve recreating the conversation in imagination using events that are more pleasing to the individual introvert.