User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    It's my impression that my ISFJ's mom's conversations are often revised past conversations; sort of what she wished she would have said. And some are likely conversations she'd like to have, but probably won't. Basically, hers are more grounded in realistic situations & usually involve real people. Nonetheless, they are imaginary conversations.
    The bolded makes up most of my "hypothetical conversations" actually. They're things I'd like to happen, sometimes involving real situations and sometimes hypothetical ones. The people I imagine having them with are always real though.

Generally, both family members (mostly ISxx types) and my peers at school have considered that strange, and I always figured most other people I knew were far more grounded or engaged in their present surroundings and didn't do that much.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    Generally, both family members (mostly ISxx types) and my peers at school have considered that strange, and I always figured most other people I knew were far more grounded or engaged in their present surroundings and didn't do that much.
    Well, maybe doing it when other people are around is weird
    I've only seen my mom do this when I walk in on her in a private setting, or when I was a small child and she probably didn't think I was aware of it.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    STP

I am an extrovert but most people I like to spend time with are introverts, so mine tends to be more of a narrative along the lines of the discovery channel.

I'm finally not alone on this! *cries*

Wait, inside your head?
    PFFT. I am talking to myself out loud right now and have conversations with myself and others even if they aren't present.
    I do this everyday.
    All day.
    I've recorded myself talking to nobody for 1 hour. It's comforting when you are alone. Although hen I catch myself I tend to stop...
    And some of this is taking place in my head too, hahaha.
    Those who pursue truth must not be arrogant. Just because it can't be proven scientifically, you must not laugh at miracles. You must not deny your eyes the beauty of this world.

MBTI
    Infp
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've been observing what I hear in my head lately and it's been songs. I usually hear one song then jump to another in the middle of the first, making an odd combination song.
    I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.-
    Albert Einstein

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Meek View Post
    I think I might need a good example of the conversations in head, then I can possibly remember if this happens to me.
    You'd know if you did it.

I've actually found this trait to be useful on long sleepy drives. There's nothing that can keep you awake quite as well as talking to yourself aloud.
    It does get frustrating though. I think up some of my best jokes in imaginary conversations and I don't get to make anyone laugh.
    Though OCCASIONALLY I'll have a conversation with a real person that parallels one I had with someone I made up. It makes me feel so prepared.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

OMG, I'm like this all the fraking time! Even if I'm preoccupied with something I'll randomly drift into thought, either having a coversation with myself, or imagining a hypothetical conversation between me or another person, or me in some theoretical yet awesome scenario, or me invisioning myself in a funny moment, then laughing about it, and being like, 'shi t I'm glad I'm all by myself so no one notices me randomly breaking into laughter for no reason'.

Anyway, I'd theorize that it has something to do with the personal feelings of Fi being combined in unison with Ne's random off the wall brainstorming, resulting in such illusionary conversations within our heads.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I think most people do this, it's quite natural.

MBTI
    INFP

Yep yep yep. I do this ALL the time, doesn't everyone else too?

I mean, maybe three quarters of my awake time.

For me, the conversations grow in my head, not in a linear way, but kind of as a tree grows - as I go backwards and forwards replaying different scenarios at different points, and following down all the possible paths - including the impossible ones! And probably even 'following' is not the right word, more like parallel processing - and often in reverse as well, just to check it makes sense both ways. And then mixing and matching sets of conversations with previous ones, like pressing pause and then interweaving trees. Colours and algorithms kind of record values of outcomes, and provide directions. I'm sure everyone does this, don't we?

Actually, if anyone can tell me how to stop it at will - that would help! Usually, I need an external interruption, like when my wife gives me a nudge as she know when I go on my journeys... Sometimes, she lets me travel, but she seems to know when to call me back to common earth.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
    I have a tendency to imagine having entire conversations with people I know. For a long time I thought it was some strange phenomenon unique to me, but a few days ago, one of my other INFP friends admitted to something similar. Now I'm beginning to wonder if it's a common occurrence for INFPs (or perhaps other types) to do this. It does seem like a very INFP thing to do.

does anyone else do this, or have any insight on it?
    This is called an Active Inner Population. I don't know that it's specific to type.

But many introverts, who aren't as quick on the verbal comeback, will ponder for hours what they "should have said" (or done). This may involve recreating the conversation in imagination using events that are more pleasing to the individual introvert.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”