• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What type is the best at reading people?

R

Riva

^ entps are good at reading the intentions behind actions. Yes entps are good at reading people but better at reading intentions. Which is the reason why entps are good at being 2 steps ahead of others. Not so good at reading how people feel though. But do have social etiquettes way better than other xxTP types.

Sizzling Berry

MBTI Type
INFP
^ entps are good at reading the intentions behind actions. Yes entps are good at reading people but better at reading intentions. Which is the reason why entps are good at being 2 steps ahead of others. Not so good at reading how people feel though. But do have social etiquettes way better than other xxTP types.

So here's a thought. Maybe there is no one type that can read people best. Maybe certain types can read certain aspects of people best. Hmmm...:thinking:

lane777

nevermore
I imagine HSP's would excel at this. I read body language well, however it's effortless for me to determine the effect a cause has on people emotionally. Basically putting myself in anothers shoes and hypothesizing how some happening will make them feel, often times able to predict a reaction through this. The simulation I'm capable of projecting seems actualized :shock:... so much that it nearly convinces me I'm empathizing when I'm only sympathizing. That's not to say that I always come up with an accurate estimation of anothers emotions, but the process does come naturally to me. I'm guessing INFJ's may be best at this because we frequently fit the profile of the HSP... although I think it's prevelant in any F type really.

While any type can learn to put themselves in anothers shoes, if you're a robot, it won't do much good :alttongue:

Last edited:

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ENFJs tend to be pretty good at reading people. We can be pretty vocal about it too, even with complete strangers.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Alice Miller, in Drama of the Gifted Child states that people who become counselors often do so because they have developed exceptional skills at reading people from having to deny their own feeling as a child in deference to the emotional needs of a parent.
Therefore, I don’t think reading people is type related. It's related to early life experience. Type is a secondary consideration at best. Type may be influenced by early life experience.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Reading people is largely a natural human ability. I think a lot of the variation in skill at it comes from the fact that some people simply pay more attention than others. There was a 'Fives and Body Language' thread recently in the enneagram section, and a couple people mentioned that even though they were a naturally detached type, they were good at reading people when they paid attention. I relate to that as well. I'm often oblivious to people's moods just because I get lost in my head and don't pay attention to them, but when I do zero in it's not hard at all to pick up on their state of mind.

It's got to be influenced by both type and individual life experiences, as well as who you're trying to read and how close you are to that person. I also agree with those who've said that different types might pick up on different information. Also, some types might feel them more strongly and/or be compelled to do something about them more than others.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENFJs are good at reading most types, with the exception that they usually suck at reading TJs. I'd say overall they are the best though. ENFP would be a close second (I can't speak for all ENFPs, but I'm pretty good at reading most types except INFJs and TPs). ESPs are good at reading Ss, but they tend to suck at reading Ns. actually, I've only met one S in my life who was good at reading Ns, seems there are more Ns who can read Ss than vice versa, though I don't claim to be one of them.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENFJs tend to be pretty good at reading people. We can be pretty vocal about it too, even with complete strangers.

is that an NF thing as a whole? I've freaked a lot of people out by getting deep into their psyche in a short amount of time and I've heard similar stories from many NFs

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
is that an NF thing as a whole? I've freaked a lot of people out by getting deep into their psyche in a short amount of time and I've heard similar stories from many NFs

Maybe so, since we are all about Feelings Schmeelings LOL! I dunno though, I don't think I have any ENFP friends IRL, which is weird! You guys seem like fun peeps. :)

I totally agree with what you say about ENTP's being good at reading the intentions behind peoples actions. This is true of the ENTP's I know anyway.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Maybe so, since we are all about Feelings Schmeelings LOL! I dunno though, I don't think I have any ENFP friends IRL, which is weird! You guys seem like fun peeps. :)

I totally agree with what you say about ENTP's being good at reading the intentions behind peoples actions. This is true of the ENTP's I know anyway.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

it kinda depends. I'm a lot of fun with NTJs, NFPs and SFPs, but I just don't know what the hell to do when I'm with SJs or INFJs (with the exeception of ISFJs, who seem to be like my yin), not sure if this is true of most ENFPs, but I would imagine there would be a few general similarities. ENFJs strike me as more likely to be boring around NTs (input would be appreciated)

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
it kinda depends. I'm a lot of fun with NTJs, NFPs and SFPs, but I just don't know what the hell to do when I'm with SJs or INFJs (with the exeception of ISFJs, who seem to be like my yin), not sure if this is true of most ENFPs, but I would imagine there would be a few general similarities. ENFJs strike me as more likely to be boring around NTs (input would be appreciated)

I have lots of NT friends that I paint the town red with :). Why would you think that ENFJ's are all of a sudden boring around NT's? Interesting...

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have lots of NT friends that I paint the town red with :). Why would you think that ENFJ's are all of a sudden boring around NT's? Interesting...

most of the EFJs I've known just did not know what to do around strong T types, not that I have much evidence to go on (hence the input would be appreciated)

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
most of the EFJs I've known just did not know what to do around strong T types, not that I have much evidence to go on (hence the input would be appreciated)

Shall we chat on PM since its just a tad bit off topic :)? I sent you a message already <3.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Prolly Ni-doms. They're freakishly good at figuring people out quickly. Ditto for reading general group dynamics, though I think ENFJs may have a slight edge on them there.