• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF Management Styles

A

Anew Leaf

So I am the owner of my own business, which means I get to play at being manager. I can do this (I have been for over a year now) but it is extremely draining. I also think that it doesn't pull on my actual strengths, and instead makes me use my weakest traits the most.

My current main concern is that I need to hire a couple of more people NOW to get prepped for August, and no one wants to be hired. (Apparently the economy is doing just fine everyone. No need to panic.) So I am feeling pressure to have everything settled for August, especially the end of August when I will be on my first vacation in many, many years.

Any other NF types on here in the position of manager? If so, how do you handle it?

Or any advice (from any type) on how to juggle the stress of managing people and running a business?

And on hiring people - any creative ideas for how to get the word out that I am hiring? I've done some internet stuff via our weekly newsletters, Facebook updates, signs in my store, etc. I suppose I could take out an actual help wanted ad.... Hmm... (lightbulb).

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Eh.

I'm sort of a hybrid, so I'm not sure this "NF".

At my last job, where I was a gardener, I asked why they didn't put me on staff. My supervisor said, "They think you are brilliant, but flaky."

Yet, I have a degree in farm management, more or less. Thus, I'm supposed to manage farms.

Here I "manage" a hatchery for fish.

The work is very hard.

We can't find people. You'd think with the horrible economy and droves of people in soup lines and dying in the streets that we'd have a waiting list. But no. We try to use a local career center. Some come via word of mouth. Some come as interns. Once we hired someone we met through the manager of the liquor store. I will say: do not ask the manager of the liquor store if they know a guy. That didn't work out well.

Most people we hire act like the job is an entitlement. I was telling my co-worker the young guys work like a lame three-toed sloth. They are forgetful, sloppy, and very slow.

I could tell dozens and dozens of stories. We hired a guy. We told him he'd be weed-eating. After about an hour of work, he said he needed a job inside. I picture him now, wandering door to door trying to corner the market on indoor weed-eating.

I'd say the average amount of time is close to one week of work before they quit.

I like to make lists. I like autonomy, and I want the people to be autonomous. Don't bother me, I'm thinking. Don't bother me! So it's difficult. If people need too much micro-management, I can't deal well. Most of the time, I talk to the other people, and then they tell the workers what to do.

If I talk to them, usually the issue has been building, and it's a Fi-te (Fight). Otherwise, I like to teach and talk if I have time.

Maybe more later... I could probably write a book on this.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I put myself in your shoes... & I feel really srry for me. :(

I can tell people what to do, as long as I don't have to make them do it.

If i can just say, "do this, do that", & then go off to play Solitaire while they ignore me & keep doing what they were doing to begin with, that's fine... & also the perfect job for me.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
So I am the owner of my own business, which means I get to play at being manager. I can do this (I have been for over a year now) but it is extremely draining. I also think that it doesn't pull on my actual strengths, and instead makes me use my weakest traits the most.

My current main concern is that I need to hire a couple of more people NOW to get prepped for August, and no one wants to be hired. (Apparently the economy is doing just fine everyone. No need to panic.) So I am feeling pressure to have everything settled for August, especially the end of August when I will be on my first vacation in many, many years.

Any other NF types on here in the position of manager? If so, how do you handle it?

Or any advice (from any type) on how to juggle the stress of managing people and running a business?

And on hiring people - any creative ideas for how to get the word out that I am hiring? I've done some internet stuff via our weekly newsletters, Facebook updates, signs in my store, etc. I suppose I could take out an actual help wanted ad.... Hmm... (lightbulb).

NF management style? Hire an NTJ (or make very good friends with one to help you out with the business acumen side) (yes I have on occasion helped people out with this out of the kindness of my own heart)! However, hiring people is not what we enjoy; we tick boxes, we couldn't give a damn about happy thoughts in business, thus as this is 'NF important' it's something you will always have to do yourself. Hopefully your NTJ is happy to fire them when they don't work out.

wrt to the complaint above, the impact of people not being available is usually an issue of cash flow; I see a lot of people holding their breath for more money due to stagflation effects taking place.

A

Anew Leaf

NF management style? Hire an NTJ (or make very good friends with one to help you out with the business acumen side) (yes I have on occasion helped people out with this out of the kindness of my own heart)! However, hiring people is not what we enjoy; we tick boxes, we couldn't give a damn about happy thoughts in business, thus as this is 'NF important' it's something you will always have to do yourself. Hopefully your NTJ is happy to fire them when they don't work out.

wrt to the complaint above, the impact of people not being available is usually an issue of cash flow; I see a lot of people holding their breathe for more money due to stagflation effects taking place.

Haha, I would LOVE to hire some kind of NTJ to do my dirty work for me. I should take out an ad like that: LF: ENTJ woman to be pal/business consultant. I am willing to take your advice without sugar coating. In return I shall bake you cookies.

My INTJ ex has been very helpful in regards to some of this stuff but being that he is 5 states away and my ex, I can't use him for things like the firing of people or whipping them into shape. I need to butter up my NTJ friends who actually live near me. Hmm...

And I hadn't thought about the cash flow issue. That is a very good point. Thanks!

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
And I hadn't thought about the cash flow issue. That is a very good point. Thanks!

People won't apply for a job they don't consider 'worth it' whether it is worth it or not.

The typical problem most low skilled workers face is that the cost of travel may be prohibitive and therefore they only seek out locally available work. They fear stagflation acutely because they see themselves in a 'static wages' situation where their transport/living costs are spiraling. I have no idea where you are operating or why; but I get the suspicion you are looking for ground pounders for these tasks and therefore you can do one of two things:

1) Offer a staglation hedge (aka offer some sort of cost which you cover, e.g. transport as above)
2) Cast a wider net and try to find a larger audience of people who may be interested in the work.

If you believe your product(s) are worth the additional required resources then do not fear your margins; push the additional costs onto those who buy from you as it is in truth the required cost of the product. No need to punish yourself for the condition of the capital structure.

A

Anew Leaf

People won't apply for a job they don't consider 'worth it' whether it is worth it or not.

The typical problem most low skilled workers face is that the cost of travel may be prohibitive and therefore they only seek out locally available work. They fear stagflation acutely because they see themselves in a 'static wages' situation where their transport/living costs are spiraling. I have no idea where you are operating or why; but I get the suspicion you are looking for ground pounders for these tasks and therefore you can do one of two things:

1) Offer a staglation hedge (aka offer some sort of cost which you cover, e.g. transport as above)
2) Cast a wider net and try to find a larger audience of people who may be interested in the work.

If you believe your product(s) are worth the additional required resources then do not fear your margins; push the additional costs onto those who buy from you as it is in truth the required cost of the product. No need to punish yourself for the condition of the capital structure.

Excellent advice. I will modify my approach accordingly. I can come up with some kind of creative incentives to help get people to bite, and to reward those that are working for me currently.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Excellent advice. I will modify my approach accordingly. I can come up with some kind of creative incentives to help get people to bite, and to reward those that are working for me currently.

Potentially. Don't sacrifice profit to reward those who currently accept the conditions. If you do something like organise a bus to pick people up/drop them off then consider speaking to the people around you first and get their buy in to such a scheme.

If I had a pound for every time an Ne/Se dominant just assumes 'its different and they will like it!' without consultation I would extremely wealthy; hopefully your professed preference for Fi will assist you in understand the value of these additional stakeholders viewpoints: after all they may have the answers you need to make it work better than just the idea 'as is'. One of them might even drive a large enough car and be willing to take the fuel money for a small additional uplift in pay (minimum outlay!)

A

Anew Leaf

Potentially. Don't sacrifice profit to reward those who currently accept the conditions. If you do something like organise a bus to pick people up/drop them off then consider speaking to the people around you first and get their buy in to such a scheme.

If I had a pound for every time an Ne/Se dominant just assumes 'its different and they will like it!' without consultation I would extremely wealthy; hopefully your professed preference for Fi will assist you in understand the value of these additional stakeholders viewpoints: after all they may have the answers you need to make it work better than just the idea 'as is'. One of them might even drive a large enough car and be willing to take the fuel money for a small additional uplift in pay (minimum outlay!)

Well, I have to balance it. I can't offer something new and exciting to the new people, and then the old people find out (because they will) and be emo.

The good news is that I am losing my highest paid employee (other than myself). I can get 1.67 people for what I paid her. I am planning on giving my two main employees a bump up in pay since they are skilled where I need them to be, and haven't had a raise in forever thanks to the amazing economy.

I run a small business with employees pulled from all over the cities where I live. What I try to do to help offset this is to have them work less days but a full day on the days they are on.

Actually with being a Fi-dom I am more likely to go the route of "here is my way or the highway." I prefer consulting myself and doing it all myself rather than letting in external factors. But I had this pointed out to me by an ENFJ that I should have a meeting with my employees and have them give me feedback on what is working and what isn't working around here. So I did that and got some constructive feedback that will be easy to implement. I think I need to just balance out what I prefer and what others prefer. I don't want to establish a pattern of where the tail wags the dog, but at the same time I don't want to be the Grinch who stole happiness.

My mom who ran the business with me was an Ne-dom and she was the queen of "let's try this insane idea!" about 5 times a day... With a weird mix of wanting external input and then being annoyed when she heard stuff she didn't like. ;)

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Well, I have to balance it. I can't offer something new and exciting to the new people, and then the old people find out (because they will) and be emo.

The good news is that I am losing my highest paid employee (other than myself). I can get 1.67 people for what I paid her. I am planning on giving my two main employees a bump up in pay since they are skilled where I need them to be, and haven't had a raise in forever thanks to the amazing economy.

I run a small business with employees pulled from all over the cities where I live. What I try to do to help offset this is to have them work less days but a full day on the days they are on.

Actually with being a Fi-dom I am more likely to go the route of "here is my way or the highway." I prefer consulting myself and doing it all myself rather than letting in external factors. But I had this pointed out to me by an ENFJ that I should have a meeting with my employees and have them give me feedback on what is working and what isn't working around here. So I did that and got some constructive feedback that will be easy to implement. I think I need to just balance out what I prefer and what others prefer. I don't want to establish a pattern of where the tail wags the dog, but at the same time I don't want to be the Grinch who stole happiness.

My mom who ran the business with me was an Ne-dom and she was the queen of "let's try this insane idea!" about 5 times a day... With a weird mix of wanting external input and then being annoyed when she heard stuff she didn't like. ;)

Ahhh... bain of my life. It's important to gain an external view to 'the business' and not to carry these as personal agendas which are then enforced downwards. We have an ESTP sales director, an INTP technical manager here in the office and an ENTP owner working oversees. I can understand the problem.

It's important to make the ideas of the 'business' the ideas of the 'employees' and vice versa. Many initiatives the ExTPs get involved in just piss people off rather than adding any value for them and they cry when they get negative feedback. Similarly the INTP manager is what I would call penny savvy but pound insane.

All growth should be organic and natural.

A

Anew Leaf

Ahhh... bain of my life. It's important to gain an external view to 'the business' and not to carry these as personal agendas which are then enforced downwards. We have an ESTP sales director, an INTP technical manager here in the office and an ENTP owner working oversees. I can understand the problem.

It's important to make the ideas of the 'business' the ideas of the 'employees' and vice versa. Many initiatives the ExTPs get involved in just piss people off rather than adding any value for them and they cry when they get negative feedback. Similarly the INTP manager is what I would call penny savvy but pound insane.

Yes. I have the hardest time gaining that objective perspective outside of the situation. If I'm in something I am throwing my heart and soul and brain behind it. And being all Fi, it is very difficult to not take things personally. Like my employee who is quitting... she left me a note to tell me (passive aggressive), and I couldn't help but assume (yeah I know what assume means) that it was because of me... that I have failed at being the manager, I have failed at my job, etc. She finally told me her reasons for leaving and they are basically that she just wants to take vacations and sit at home with her husband.

So perhaps what I really need to work on is my separation of self from what I am doing and not get quite so entrenched. Ugh, lol. My kingdom for being an ENTJ by day and an INFP by night.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i run my own agency, started off as a freelancing gig,
grew in to a partnership with a staff of 16 before we
recently merged.

starting out i was slightly obsessive about trying to
systemise everything, might just be the residual effects
from previous jobs, but a firm structure was what i knew
i needed to keep me sane. doing the job itself, i had that
down, now i just needed a way to effectively transfer
knowledge to relatively young and inexperienced staff.

because it was the day-to-day operations that i had to
really make an effort to keep up with. more people = more accountability,
and i couldn't be everywhere at the same time, so i needed
checkpoints. just so i could always be up to speed with details intact.

also when i first started hiring, i was only able to afford a first
jobber's salary, trade offs were that the turnover rates were high.
but we chanced on a few gems, and slowly and organically built
the team.

i just identified what my weak points are, and what i could do to
prevent it from being exploited, tried to secure that as much as
i could. and through spending time doing a lot of training new
staff, it really helped me streamline the processes. just you know,
put the adult hat on, and do the icky boring shit. it just saves
a lot of confusion and money.

and it was very fun bringing on younger people because of
all the fresh perspectives they bring in--they' aren't bogged
down by the limitations of the current industry's (creative industry)
orthodoxy, but i had to be somewhat tough though at work.
not being mean or yelling, but i'm very direct with the blunt truth,
which they always take it as some sort of rude awakening, but you
know, gotta call out this stuff, especially with inexperienced staff,
so they learn. so we all speak the same language of expectations
and desired outcomes. fundamentals. building blocks of fun.

A

Anew Leaf

i run my own agency, started off as a freelancing gig,
grew in to a partnership with a staff of 16 before we
recently merged.

starting out i was slightly obsessive about trying to
systemise everything, might just be the residual effects
from previous jobs, but a firm structure was what i knew
i needed to keep me sane. doing the job itself, i had that
down, now i just needed a way to effectively transfer
knowledge to relatively young and inexperienced staff.

because it was the day-to-day operations that i had to
really make an effort to keep up with. more people = more accountability,
and i couldn't be everywhere at the same time, so i needed
checkpoints. just so i could always be up to speed with details intact.

also when i first started hiring, i was only able to afford a first
jobber's salary, trade offs were that the turnover rates were high.
but we chanced on a few gems, and slowly and organically built
the team.

i just identified what my weak points are, and what i could do to
prevent it from being exploited, tried to secure that as much as
i could. and through spending time doing a lot of training new
staff, it really helped me streamline the processes. just you know,
put the adult hat on, and do the icky boring shit. it just saves
a lot of confusion and money.

and it was very fun bringing on younger people because of
all the fresh perspectives they bring in--they' aren't bogged
down by the limitations of the current industry's (creative industry)
orthodoxy, but i had to be somewhat tough though at work.
not being mean or yelling, but i'm very direct with the blunt truth,
which they always take it as some sort of rude awakening, but you
know, gotta call out this stuff, especially with inexperienced staff,
so they learn. so we all speak the same language of expectations
and desired outcomes. fundamentals. building blocks of fun.

Thank you for your input mmhmm!

You have a lot of great stuff in here too. Glad to also know I am not the only NF in a managerial position around here. ;)