• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ne] Ne = Paranoia?

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
So I am in a new relationship and everything freaks me out. I don't know how to decipher what's true and what's not, what's real and what's my paranoia. Ne isn't often a problem for me, but now it's generating all these alternative possibilities and scenarios. And I cannot tell if it's my gut instinct or just Ne over-drive trying madly to see ahead so I won't trip and mess myself up again. You know what I mean? I am trying so, so hard not to make the same mistakes and to see the future, but it's not like that's possible. No matter what, can I really be 100% accurate? I'm sure there have been posts about this in the past. I can't quite recall what the general consensus was. I believe Ni also is problematic with paranoia. How do you even begin to trust someone? Or trust what you are seeing and believing when there are many different interpretations, lies, facades...possibilities. I feel like I either can end it (easier) or let myself go and trust again (v. difficult), just let all my fears go but I am stuck in the middle in-between. :shrug:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ne = the opposite of paranoia. paranoia is more Fe or Ni

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
And to think for all these years these wonderful Ne users have been telling me that paranoia is an exclusively Ni problem. Unusually this most often occurs when they undertaken an action and I point out what this highly visible and notable real world phenomenon represents on a personal level. The counter-query would be: is a distinct lack of forethought and responsibility exclusively an Ne phenomenon? No, that's a hasty generalization.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Uh, no. Ne is also paranoia in a sense that they consider other possibilities that link.

"OMG if I don't find my wallet I'm so screwed -> SHIT, my money's gonna be gone -> OH NO, my credit card might get maxed out -> how am I going to pay for it?! -> I'm going to be bankrupt!"

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
It's not paranoia. And it has nothing to do with Ne.

I do the same thing.

It's so annoying.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Ne doesn't equal paranoia but it's inherent in it when it happens. Name a paranoid schizophrenic who isn't entertaining different non-surface level connections and possibilities, they're just believing the wrong ones. Nothing about Ne means the interpretations have to be true.

INTJs and INFJs are so much more tethered to reality.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
It's not paranoia. And it has nothing to do with Ne.

I do the same thing.

It's so annoying.

This is the 2nd best post I've read today.

Congratulations! You also win the 'but it's me and therefore this does not apply by default!' failed counter-rationalisation prize!

92262881v3_225x225_Front.jpg

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Uh, no. Ne is also paranoia in a sense that they consider other possibilities that link.

"OMG if I don't find my wallet I'm so screwed -> SHIT, my money's gonna be gone -> OH NO, my credit card might get maxed out -> how am I going to pay for it?! -> I'm going to be bankrupt!"

My mom does that and she's ESFP, I'm pretty sure.

She exaggerates. She freaks out. MELODRAMA. I am my mothers daughter but she is like me TIMES TEN. Maybe she's just insane.

I don't really see her as an ENFP because she's so into tangible reality, and less about theory, unless it directly applies to something she is experiencing or cares about.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Actually that might fit quite neatly into some Demon Ne under stress or something. Because she only does it when something goes wrong...she thinks more things will go horribly wrong. We're all going to die.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Ne = the opposite of paranoia. paranoia is more Fe or Ni

Uhh, I have Ne and Fe and if anything causes any kind of paranoia, it would be the Ne. Fe isn't paranoid at all.

I love how you basically say "no, paranoia isn't any of the ENFP functions, it's the other non-ENFP functions that are paranoid."

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Uhh, I have Ne and Fe and if anything causes any kind of paranoia, it would be the Ne. Fe isn't paranoid at all.

I love how you basically say "no, paranoia isn't any of the ENFP functions, it's the other non-ENFP functions that are paranoid."

yes it is
"what will my friends think?"
"oh no! was I too mean?"
"does he hate me?"
"he probably thinks I'm avoiding him?"
"is she alright?"
"what if something horrible happened to him!"
"will it hurt him if I do this?"
Fe users say stuff like this all the time. unbalanced FJs are extremely paranoid about people's feelings and well being

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
It is somewhat amusing when you have to grab the hyperrationalising Ne user and give them a 'follow me I'll show you how to step through this problem'.

It's a failure to eliminate all of the available possibilities often any of the possibilities. It's kind of cute and vulnerable in its own way but must be somewhat scary to the individuals in that moment.

And yes, I've seen Se and Ne heavy individuals engage in this. They are both extroverted perceiving after all.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
My mom does that and she's ESFP, I'm pretty sure.

She exaggerates. She freaks out. MELODRAMA. I am my mothers daughter but she is like me TIMES TEN. Maybe she's just insane.

I don't really see her as an ENFP because she's so into tangible reality, and less about theory, unless it directly applies to something she is experiencing or cares about.

I see that scenerio being real with both Ne and Se, actually. I just think a Ne user is likely to see greater possibilities from the situation.

Like take me. I'm at an airport, 7:50am flight pushed back to 12pm....Ne's telling me that I can use the time for soooo many other things. Se is more likely to use the time to pursue whatever pops in his head to keep him occupied.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
yes it is
"what will my friends think?"
"oh no! was I too mean?"
"does he hate me?"
"he probably thinks I'm avoiding him?"
"is she alright?"
"what if something horrible happened to him!"
"will it hurt him if I do this?"
Fe users say stuff like this all the time. unbalanced FJs are extremely paranoid about people's feelings and well being

Fi users have the same conversations. Don't front.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fi users have the same conversations. Don't front.

can't speak for the other users, but I don't ever have thoughts like that. it would be nice if I did sometimes actually.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
can't speak for the other users, but I don't ever have thoughts like that. it would be nice if I did sometimes actually.

In regards to Ne, just read the OP again. 'Nuff said.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ

Let me correct myself....Your perception function's the one actually doing the talking. Any N/S function would ask that question. Fi is going to answer it.
I'm sure you ask the question- probably not directly like it's stated above, but some kind of perception/analysis comes through of any given situation.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe because you have narcissistic personality disorder? I'm serious, I might even be helping.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I swear that just recently, I came across a functional analysis that claimed when INFP's use NE as an aux, Ne tends to create possibilites that help the INFP safe guard themselves, sometimes focusing on the negative "what if's" You said your trying not to make the same mistakes as before.. (Fi-Si) *feels in love- recalls bad things that happened last time in love* pushes on NE to provide more info, Ne only kicks back all the bad possibilites. Ya, I don't think its all that unlikely for anyone to be paranoid. Just because it's seen more with Ni doesn't make it exclusive to Ni. BUt I can tell you that ime, anytime I've gone into deep analysis of my relation.. its only messed it up more. You might be freaking yourself out for no reason, and then projecting it. Understand that it is what it is, and while you should definately try to correct unhealthy behaviors, you shouldn't be significantly altering yourself. Its pointless, as who you are and they are will eventually be revealed anyhow. Just be yourself and have a good time is my advice.