User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    eNFP

Default The ENFP "investigative journalist mode"

I have seen a couple of references here fairly recently about ENFPs "mining people for information" by trying to get them to open up and asking them all kinds of questions. I thought this was kind of curious, since I don't think I do this. I really find that I am a private sort of person, and, accordingly, I also try to respect the privacy of others. I often want to ask questions and learn more about people, but if anything I ask too few questions and sometimes wonder if I leave people thinking I'm not interested in them and how they're doing, when in fact I really do want to know more about them (what they've been doing lately, what they think about certain things) but don't want to invade their privacy.

ENFPs, what have your experiences been in this regard? And those of you who know ENFPs, how have your experiences with them been with regard to this?

autumn

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I love getting to know people via asking them questions.

It's a pretty signature move of mine to ask a "new" person a 101 questions, lol.

Wait, I still tend to ask old friends of mine many questions as well. I think I am just inherently an inquisitive person.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

Yeah, I've witnessed this; both in real life and on these forums.

I'm not an ENFP, but I personally love it when they're trying to take me apart.

Especially if I like the other person and their attention.

I think it's a good thing in general. I wouldn't worry about privacy so much, that's usually easy to pick up on and you can just graciously drop it if you find them uncomfortable.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I do it but I always adjust myself according to the people I'm having a conversation with. So I'm not interrogating people. I'm very interested in people and I do ask lots of questions but I usually sense it quite fast if somebody doesn't want to talk about something and then I usually stop trying and change subject.
    Last edited by alcea rosea; 03-31-2008 at 07:56 AM. Reason: typo

MBTI
    INFJ

My best friend is ENFP and she definitely does this. When we went to parties together it wore me out just watching her. I'd also say she generally only does it with new people and she seems to get bored with them fairly quickly.

MBTI
    INFP

I want to murder my ENFP sister for this sometimes. I'm not saying any of you do the same as her but she can't accept 'I don't know' as an answer, she keeps on and on with questions like 'But roughly how much would you say?' 'Somewhere between 1 and 10?' 'But if you had to pick...' even when I say I don't know
    Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling into at night. I miss you like hell. ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

MBTI
    ENFP

Yeah Im quiet nosey too :P
    But I try to get my information through various ways- both direct questioning and indirect methods eg devils advocate, reactions, body language, unspoken words, their eyes etc.
    Im am interested in people and want to know about them. Even though each person is unique, its not hard to categorise them into various kinds. Most of the knowing is intuitive though.
    I usually dont open up to new people. I mean I have layers...and they can see the outer couple of layers...but not whats in the core I show that to my inner circle.

As for privacy, well you will notice when your pushing it...so you will automatically back off i guess.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    I'm not an ENFP, but I personally love it when they're trying to take me apart.

Especially if I like the other person and their attention.

Nemo, thats interesting. Because most people DONT like being taken apart. So its refreshing I guess.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Hold up, I soooooooo would not classify myself as being nosy!!!

I sincerely respect people's privacy, and have a disdain for gossip. I enjoy getting to know people who enjoy revealing themselves, if at any point I sense resistance, I simply stop. I am never one to *pry*, but if the person is a *willing* participant, then yes, I am one to ask, and ask, and ask!!!

`

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyStilettos View Post
    I want to murder my ENFP sister for this sometimes. I'm not saying any of you do the same as her but she can't accept 'I don't know' as an answer, she keeps on and on with questions like 'But roughly how much would you say?' 'Somewhere between 1 and 10?' 'But if you had to pick...' even when I say I don't know
    WOW, this however, I am guilty of at times. I think that when we hear, "I don't know" as a response, we see room for progress/growth. In my personal experience, many excellent conversations have essentially begun, and ended with such ominous words.

In that sense I totally admit to being a "peeler", in my frequent attempts to uncover *why* that person "doesn't know". LOL.
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles